Why Doesn't the Video or Music Player Pause properly?

mulcher

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I partially figured it out. If you use 'My Files' and play an audio, background play and resume are not available.

If you use the 'music' app and play the file, the same app plays it but it will background properly.

Unfortunately I see no 'video' app, so the only way to play a video I can tell is via the 'my files' which doesn't support backgrounding.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Merging all these duplicate threads together. The solution is to not use My Files, but to instead use the music app for music, and download/use Act 1 for media.

Last edited:

mulcher

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I'll look into alternatives. I agree on the 'music' app. I tried playing video (through the disorganized gallery that is picking up every attachment image from my email in the process) and it still will not resume. Guess I have to go to a 3rd party. I don't mind, but coming from The Pre which everybody laughed off as crappy, was so much better in these common sense multitasking areas and they shouldn't require a third party app.

Plus you can't even hide the built in apps , like the asphalt demo and you can't delete them.

DiscoDapper

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Another vote for mplayer. Its a little cleaner interfacewise than Act, but I like Act as well. Good to have choices.

I do wish there was a way to actually dial down the saturation a bit as sometimes colors appear blown out.

scottmc129

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
2 things i noticed while playing a video

1-if you hit the search button and lauch the internet, you can browse the internet and once you are finished, you can hit the back button and it will pick up right where you left off. you can also drop the shade down like normal from the browser to check messages and still be able to return to the video where you left off.

2-the camera can launch, take a photo and hit the return button and will pick up where you left off.

thought this was worth noting.

Edit...3rd thing- while using the universal search, you can look up a contact or type in a number, make a call or text and when finished with those, you can hit the return button and back out all the way to your current video and it will pick up where you left off.

Last edited:

DiscoDapper

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
You can find "mplayer" on the Market. The app is actually called mVideoPlayer, and it is free!

BTW, anyone have video playback smoothness issues? I've tried a bunch of different file formats and they all play, but in general it's not all that smooth. It's a regular stutter. Not that bad but distracting, like a break in cadence. I'm comparing this to my 3rd gen iPod Touch which plays MP4's glass smooth, and I thought the Epic would be able to do the same given the extra horsepower it packs.

mulcher

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
2 things i noticed while playing a video

1-if you hit the search button and lauch the internet, you can browse the internet and once you are finished, you can hit the back button and it will pick up right where you left off. you can also drop the shade down like normal from the browser to check messages and still be able to return to the video where you left off.

2-the camera can launch, take a photo and hit the return button and will pick up where you left off.

thought this was worth noting.

Edit...3rd thing- while using the universal search, you can look up a contact or type in a number, make a call or text and when finished with those, you can hit the return button and back out all the way to your current video and it will pick up where you left off.

Wiered, when I start the video via the gallery and do the search as you said, it returns to the beginning of the video. It doesn't do this with the Act player, but the Act player has some wierd interface design.

mulcher

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it should matter but what kind of video did you play? I was playing a divx of spongebox and an MKV of a 720p of Avatar

scottmc129

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
the easiest way to test this is while playing a movie, hold down the camera button, the camera will lauch, hit the return button and the movie will be paused where you left off.

njbianco#AC

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I figured out if you get the app "better cut" from the market you can add a icon on your home screen for the video player and get back to a paused movie threw that. Samsung really should of just added a video player icon like the rest of the galaxy s phones.

freality

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
You can find "mplayer" on the Market. The app is actually called mVideoPlayer, and it is free!

BTW, anyone have video playback smoothness issues? I've tried a bunch of different file formats and they all play, but in general it's not all that smooth. It's a regular stutter. Not that bad but distracting, like a break in cadence. I'm comparing this to my 3rd gen iPod Touch which plays MP4's glass smooth, and I thought the Epic would be able to do the same given the extra horsepower it packs.

I noticed this also, especially with 24fps video (using stock video player). RockPlayer plays them perfectly smooth/correct. Will try Act 1 and mVideoPlayer next.

EDIT: BTW, RockPlayer smooth playback was using Normal mode. Just tried Act 1 and mVideoPlayer - not smooth.

Last edited:

Shiggitay

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

Yep! I found it and I was the happiest person that day. I actually donated US $5 to the developer so I could remove ads, and to show my support for such a great app.

I'm an avid Japanese anim? fan, and I get my anim? eps in MKV with subtitles, and the stock player just wouldn't display the subs. mVideoPlayer plays the native 720p of the downloaded MKV as well as display the subs beautifully, so there's no need to waste time with random transcodes from MKV to AVI/MP4 etc. using something like HandBrake (not to say that HB is a bad app).

I noticed this also, especially with 24fps video (using stock video player). RockPlayer plays them perfectly smooth/correct. Will try Act 1 and mVideoPlayer next.

EDIT: BTW, RockPlayer smooth playback was using Normal mode. Just tried Act 1 and mVideoPlayer - not smooth.

That's interesting... mVideoPlayer has played anything I've thrown at it so far with little to no issues. I've not tried Act 1, but I might just as a comparison.

EDIT: I just tried Act 1 (the trial) and it plays the MKV on my SD card just fine, but without subs. It will not be seeing my $2.49 or whatever the dev wants for it. To sum it all up, FAIL.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treyrday86