Why everyone is bashing the S4 screen?

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I love the blues/blacks on the S4, but lets keep it real.

In the Sun, this screen is terrible.

The thing is when I am outside, I rarely ever stare at my phone so it is a non issue for me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thats a limited manufacturing defect, the same can said be about HTC One's camera glass cracking spontaneously.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

I have yet to ever hear of this. Not saying it hasn't happened but usually I'd see a thread here on it.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I know, and have come to respect, that everyone doesn't want to protect their phone with a case or treat it with the care an expensive electronic device would garner from myself. The thought of putting an unprotected phone in (possibly tight) front jeans pocket conjures images of legendary suffering, pain, and torture (Hellraiser style). To me, it is not surprising that even a well-built device might throw in the towel under such conditions (heat, moisture, physical stress, dirt and lint). However, it's no secret that as crazy as it might seem to me that anyone would treat their phone this way...well, a lot of people do and OEM's should take that into consideration when designing their, not inexpensive, wares.

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I had the GS4 since April and had switched from iPhone. When I had the GS4 the screen seemed great to me except for Sun. I loved the size and color and deep blacks.

...But I just switched over to the G2 and wow. What a huge difference. It's definitely more than just simply preference. The screen is with no doubts much more superior in every way compared to the GS4. My wife still has the GS4 and side by side the screen quality is blatantly poor. I didn't know any better the whole time I used amoled. :):)

from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The screen is pretty dim compared to other phones, but it's really not bad.

AMOLED screens have richer blacks and sometimes over-saturated colors because that's the way AMOLED screens work.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
...GS4 and side by side the screen quality is blatantly poor. I didn't know any better the whole time I used amoled. :):)

from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app
How so? Is the G2's ppi higher, the screen brighter, text sharper, blacks blacker? Seriously, all levity aside, I want to know what precisely is better. Why? So when I look for my next device I may be able to make a better decision. I'm not using my phone for professional image review so the saturation that many attribute to the S4 is great for me (blacks are black, reds are red, whites are...white). I just want to know what about other screens is superior. Thx.

P.S. Is the S4's screen so bad that I should be willing to give up the removable battery and expandable storage to get away from it? That's a serious question, not a troll cast.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's my eyes, but putting the phone next to my computer monitor with a white background showing on each, the S4's screen doesn't appear to have any kind of blue tint. I've also taken a look at test images, such as those used in monitor color calibration, and they looked fine without over-saturation. Maybe it depends on what screen mode settings people are using. The dynamic setting will produce more saturated colors than the pro photo setting, for example, while the movie mode looks the most subdued.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
It's clear there are trade off's between LCD and OLED screens. Anyone flat out bashing the S4 screen is likely doing it because the S4 is a very popular phone and it's viewed as cool to hate stuff that's popular.

MrBungle999

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
P.S. Is the S4's screen so bad that I should be willing to give up the removable battery and expandable storage to get away from it? That's a serious question, not a troll cast.

It's not so bad. I think it's real good. I used it for 6 months but every time I turn on the g2 I just stare at how beautiful it is. It really is a huge difference if you have been trained on both. And it being great in the sun is a huge plus. Just look at them side by side if you get a chance. I'll admit if I start using my wife's gs4 for a bit I get used to it again.

As far as battery, the g2 is incredible. Much better than s4. I never had an extra so it didn't matter to me. 32 gb is good for me as well and I could always use cloud if I need be in the future. I do like having removable sd but can't have everything. All I know is thank God I left iPhone in the dust

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
It's clear there are trade off's between LCD and OLED screens. Anyone flat out bashing the S4 screen is likely doing it because the S4 is a very popular phone and it's viewed as cool to hate stuff that's popular.

I couldn't have said it better myself. It's also cool to hate things that you don't own.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
It is awful in bright sunlight. In order to even have a chance of seeing it, you need to have a Matte, Anti Glare screen protector on it. That has helped a but, but compared to LED and LCD screens, it's awful in bright sunlight, those in the UK should have no issues :)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It is awful in bright sunlight. In order to even have a chance of seeing it, you need to have a Matte, Anti Glare screen protector on it. That has helped a but, but compared to LED and LCD screens, it's awful in bright sunlight, those in the UK should have no issues :)
While I do have to have auto brightness on or have the brightness turned up I can't agree that its awful in bright sunlight. Not as bright as LCDs for sure, but not awful...at least mine is not, perhaps manufacturing variances mean that other's units are.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is still the case but does Apple still only let the user sync to ONE computer to install their music and other various media through i-tunes?? Like if my brother wanted a song that I have, he has to take it with him via flash drive and install in his PC/Mac in order to put it through i-tunes and install into his iphone 5?? I know he CAN use another PC/Mac.....BUT he would lose everything that is in his iphone and that new PC/Mac becomes his main installer. Really ridiculous, lol! Now THAT would annoy the hell out of me!! I hope Apple has changed that. Dealing with a screen that isn't too bright in sunlight is a piece of cake next to that!! This is all IMO of course.

No. You can drag and drop. You can also set it up so that you would have to manually sync you he doesn't accidently sync all your music ever.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
As in iPhone bashers. Most have never owned one.

The whole iOS vs. Android thing is ludicrous. When you break it down, people are nerd-raging over electronic devices (silly, isn't it?). Based on my observations over the past few years, the bashers are present on both sides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred