why has MMS notifications stopped when mobile data is not turned on

wooleybear

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Since doing some app updates notifications for MMS are not working unless mobile data is turned on. This was NOT a system update, just apps. It is non functioning on the default app and chomp ( the app I use regularly). I'm not talking about receiving the MMS, just the notification that there is a message. It worked yesterday. All the notification settings are correct on both apps. I have disabled the default app, cleared the cache on both apps, cleared the cache partition,and a soft reset. Nothing helps. It is running android 8 so doesn't have the option to toggle on the "receive MMS with mobile data off" option. Any ideas anyone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
MMS requires mobile data to be on -- otherwise, you'll only receive a message saying "Tap to Download." Are you saying that before, you would get notifications for these "Tap to Download" messages as well?

wooleybear

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
I would get a notification in the notification panel that I had a message. Now I don't even get that.

The device is a moto G6 play

Last edited by a moderator:

wooleybear

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
yes, there were updates to both SMS apps

I did clear data and force stop

yes it happens in safe mode

wooleybear

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
You using google message?
Like B. Diddy mentioned need mobile data on to get mms messages and google can be done through WiFi

It happens on google messages AND chomp. I know how to GET the MMS. My problem is there is no longer even a notification that there IS an MMS message unless you leave mobile data on.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It happens on google messages AND chomp. I know how to GET the MMS. My problem is there is no longer even a notification that there IS an MMS message unless you leave mobile data on.

That's strange especially you cleared data and force stop the app, do you have notifications on ? Do you use a 3rd party launcher?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abventz