Visit site
Positives about Android:
-Launchers and customization
-Lots of hardware options
-Freedom to pick how much you want to spend
-Pro mode/manual camera settings
-Expandable storage via SD card

Positives of Apple/iOS:
-Lower battery consumption and better battery optimization, though I believe that the Pixel is narrowing this gap.

Things I wish Android would adopt that iOS has:
-Quicker updates
-Some apps aren't available, although this is more a developer issue than a platform issue

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Positives about Android:
-Launchers and customization
-Lots of hardware options
-Freedom to pick how much you want to spend
-Pro mode/manual camera settings
-Expandable storage via SD card

Positives of Apple/iOS:
-Lower battery consumption and better battery optimization, though I believe that the Pixel is narrowing this gap.

Things I wish Android would adopt that iOS has:
-Quicker updates
-Some apps aren't available, although this is more a developer issue than a platform issue

Regarding battery consumption, the Moto Z Play hasn't just narrowed the gap, it's completely blown past any iPhone I've ever used.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Maybe you have an Android ecosystem that would be disrupted if you switched. Maybe you just hate Apple.

I've switched back and forth over the years, but something always keeps me coming back to Android, and I'm not sure I can put my finger on it (though this last time was because my iPhone 7 was buggy as hell).

What keeps you Android?

Why should i switch to an inferior divice?

Indecyfer

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
There are a lot of reasons why I don't choose Apple. I've done BlackBerry and Android, and have loved both experiences. Transferring ecosystems was slightly difficult but I adjusted, and I loved experiencing two different platforms. I'd even go to WP and probably will at some point, but I will never go to Apple. The following are my own subjective and biased reasons, and they are not intended to cause offense. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion! If you like Apple, great! These are just my views.

I dislike that Apple products are not only ferociously expensive (yes, I know BB and Android have expensive devices like the Priv and the Pixel, but Rogers often has Apple products retailing at over $1000 off-contract, and some of those devices aren't super new anymore), you have to buy Apple-related products to work with your iPhone. It's a money grab and I don't like it. You've already bought the brand, and yet they tell you you need to buy more accessories - which are more expensive than generic ones that should work with your phone, as they do with any other - in order for your phone to work with them.

The operating system is not my cup of tea. It's very simple (which isn't always a bad thing, but hear me out); which also means that there's no room for customization. You can't download launchers, you can't change the way the device looks, you can't have the same freedom as one could have with Android. I love customization and I change up my Android experience almost weekly in some way. I know that if I had an iPhone, I'd eventually go crazy because I can't change themes, launchers, icon packs, etc. Some launchers go so far as to totally change your experience of your device, and if Apple doesn't offer that, it won't hold interest for me.

I tend to steer clear of phones that are "popular" or that are seen as "status symbols" per societal standards. It seems like almost everyone has an iPhone. Some people simply buy it because "everyone has one," and I like going against trends. I like doing my own thing. I often grab last year's flagship or a phone that's awesome yet underrated because I want to be different and to have something unique. You pay big bucks for phones these days, and Apple is probably one of the most expensive mobile products you could buy - and don't forget the Apple accessories you need to purchase.

Another thing that keeps me going to Android: the freedom of manufacturer and choice. If you go Android, you have a ton of different manufacturers and options to choose from. You can choose a bigger or smaller phone - so, a Nexus 6P or Sony Compact device - or you can grab a phone with a sick camera, like pretty much any Samsung product out there; or maybe you want one with a removable battery and a literally big experience: the LG V20. You can also go the economical route and buy a midrange device that gets the job done just as well as a flagship device, but at a fraction of the cost: Asus Zenfone 2 or 3, OnePlus devices, or Honor devices. You literally have a tonnnage of options, and you don't need a pile of cash to make a decision.

And all of these phones look different! You can get a phone that is truly unique other than just a different colour. To me, all iPhones look the same (except for the Plus series, obviously!). You don't have as much choice when it comes to purchasing a new phone. With Android, yes, you may have a harder decision on your hands, but at least you have lots of options!

Don't get me wrong - I definitely respect Apple for their media reputation and for iMessage, which is one of the best messaging platforms ever. My boyfriend has an iPhone and I sometimes fiddle with it, but due to the reasons stated above, I know I couldn't use an iPhone for an extended period of time. Android is a freeing and more economical experience for me, and I've grown to love the stock Android experience as well. These are my reasons! Essay is done! :p

This is a brilliant writeup, and is basically everything I had to say about Apple.

I remove that the first thing that irked me was the fact I couldn't send anything over Bluetooth to my pal. He told me it only works from iPhone to iPhone. I found that ridiculous. Nowadays there are ways around this, with apps such as Xender, but still.

On top of that, a whole bunch of people here buy the phone merely cuz it's the most expensive one, yes, I live in a strange place. They can't use up to a quarter of the features, but they bought it to look cool, or to 'belong'.

I'll hand it to them, the iPhone is an amazingly built phone, if not monotonous looking. But I'd rather have choice. One year I was crazy about the Z5, the next it was the P9.

That's what I like about Android. It all comes down to choice.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This is a brilliant writeup, and is basically everything I had to say about Apple.

I remove that the first thing that irked me was the fact I couldn't send anything over Bluetooth to my pal. He told me it only works from iPhone to iPhone. I found that ridiculous. Nowadays there are ways around this, with apps such as Xender, but still.

On top of that, a whole bunch of people here buy the phone merely cuz it's the most expensive one, yes, I live in a strange place. They can't use up to a quarter of the features, but they bought it to look cool, or to 'belong'.

I'll hand it to them, the iPhone is an amazingly built phone, if not monotonous looking. But I'd rather have choice. One year I was crazy about the Z5, the next it was the P9.

That's what I like about Android. It all comes down to choice.

Thank you so much!

I definitely agree with what you're saying. Some people will buy an iPhone or other Apple products just because they are seen as status symbols, or because they are the most expensive - or, because, as you've said, they want to "belong."

And yes - iPhones are wonderfully made and do have their good points, but I too think the design is monotonous. Android really does give you the freedom to use more or less the same OS (and some manufacturers will of course tweak it to their own liking) in a variety of different design bodies.

vtpmt81

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Regarding battery consumption, the Moto Z Play hasn't just narrowed the gap, it's completely blown past any iPhone I've ever used.

I think that Qualcomm found a gem in the Snapdragon 625. They need to find a way to improve its CPU/GPU and camera processing performance without losing its efficiency. I would love a quasi-flagship device with a souped up version of Snagdragon 625.

peterkendrick

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
I have both iPhone and Android. But I use Android for diverse applications use and flexibility of the operating system, apart from that I love camera of iPhone so I usually take me iPhone for taking pictures.

Dorian Anreiter

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
I had an 4s,5,5s kept them all for a few weeks then went back to android. With an android flagship I don't need a computer. I can save torrents, use proper Bluetooth, just plug USB memory into it, enjoy a screen that isn't awful. The question should be why would anyone not prefer android? An ironically I'm an apple computer user. I've had computers since about 1982, from 1991 to 2006 I used to use Microsoft pcs that always cost about 2000 pounds and I built myself, a new one every 2 years. Then I bought a mbp on a whim. I loved it. Yet all the things that I love about macs seem to be missing from ios.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I had an 4s,5,5s kept them all for a few weeks then went back to android. With an android flagship I don't need a computer. I can save torrents, use proper Bluetooth, just plug USB memory into it, enjoy a screen that isn't awful. The question should be why would anyone not prefer android? An ironically I'm an apple computer user. I've had computers since about 1982, from 1991 to 2006 I used to use Microsoft pcs that always cost about 2000 pounds and I built myself, a new one every 2 years. Then I bought a mbp on a whim. I loved it. Yet all the things that I love about macs seem to be missing from ios.

Great post! I've read posts from other Apple users saying that what they loved about their Macs seemed to he missing from their iPhones.

Vargur78

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Being surrounded by apple in my family (wife and daughter using only iPhones) I'm the only rebel with my galaxy note 5. Shall admit that few months back when I was waiting my shiny new Note 5 (as a replacement of Galaxy S7) I'd been walking with iPhone 5s (our spare gadget) and found it perfectly fine. Well build brick which nicely fit in my hand and able to cope with all my daily needs. Still fast, running smooth without single problems. Also I was surprised how all my 'must have apps' running well on iPhone including Google services. I even told my wife and daughter that somehow they were right and that thing really 'just work' letting me concentrate on 'important things'. But, once I rcvd a parcel with brand new Samsung Galaxy note 5, iPhone immediately was placed back to it's grave in the drawer and forgotten for good. I can't explain that feeling but as most have mentioned it is really like 'coming back home' and that's it. Thing's I know for ages, settings I know by hurt and so on. It's just mine and for me. One thing I feel for myself is that iPhone is just boring. Really.

It's subjective of course but open iMore main page and what we see? 'BEGINNERS GUIDE, how to play Supermario', 'Supermario tips and tricks', 'How to add friend in supermario', 'Best accessories for SuperMario players' oh sorry, there is more serious stuff - 'HOW TO FIND YOUR AIRPODS IN THE SNOW'.

Seriously? Topic News from the most innovating company? )

no thanks, seems like i'll stick with AC and Android phones for a long long time.

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I switched to an iphone 6. I had to for work. Everyone, and I mean everyone uses Apple. We were given ipads at work but I don't carry that thing with me and sometimes at meetings or trainings files get shared via air drop. It's easier to just use the damn phone. I use my note 4 at home as my "tablet/media device" when I get home. I continually tell myself I'm done, and going back to my note. But I don't. The iphone works great and the battery life literally last all day.

My note would drain quickly when the dime was in (1.5 - 2 hrs SOT). With the sim out I'm back up to around 4 hours SOT. I hate how sterile all the apps are on the iphone , everything is white. And they don't have AC or any other android forum/news apps. Which is a big downer.

I'm not fond of ipads I would rather have an android tablet for work, my students all use chromebook.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Being surrounded by apple in my family (wife and daughter using only iPhones) I'm the only rebel with my galaxy note 5. Shall admit that few months back when I was waiting my shiny new Note 5 (as a replacement of Galaxy S7) I'd been walking with iPhone 5s (our spare gadget) and found it perfectly fine. Well build brick which nicely fit in my hand and able to cope with all my daily needs. Still fast, running smooth without single problems. Also I was surprised how all my 'must have apps' running well on iPhone including Google services. I even told my wife and daughter that somehow they were right and that thing really 'just work' letting me concentrate on 'important things'. But, once I rcvd a parcel with brand new Samsung Galaxy note 5, iPhone immediately was placed back to it's grave in the drawer and forgotten for good. I can't explain that feeling but as most have mentioned it is really like 'coming back home' and that's it. Thing's I know for ages, settings I know by hurt and so on. It's just mine and for me. One thing I feel for myself is that iPhone is just boring. Really.

It's subjective of course but open iMore main page and what we see? 'BEGINNERS GUIDE, how to play Supermario', 'Supermario tips and tricks', 'How to add friend in supermario', 'Best accessories for SuperMario players' oh sorry, there is more serious stuff - 'HOW TO FIND YOUR AIRPODS IN THE SNOW'.

Seriously? Topic News from the most innovating company? )

no thanks, seems like i'll stick with AC and Android phones for a long long time.

I know what you mean about being surrounded! A lot of my friends use Apple devices. Also, I definitely know what you mean about "coming home." It just seems that no other experience can compare to Android, for a lot of us. :)

Josiah23

Q&A Team
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I was tempted when the iPhone 7 came out because it is a beautiful phone, but I held my ground here with Android. I love the customizability and Android environment. I also develop android apps and I didn't want to switch to the ios platform and start from scratch or start with something i'm not 100% comfortable with, maybe I'll have a backup iphone in the mere future and it'll be easier getting use to.
Well well well... I told all of you I will hold my ground to Android, (which I still will) but... I may have gotten news that I will be receiving an iPhone 6S Plus by early to mid January... My first iPhone but 2nd Apple product as I already own a MacBook. This isn't technically switching to iPhone but I will start using it more often to get familiar with the device (and see the rant that iMore forums was talking about, lmao)

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
I am using android, and very easy to search for games, applications, as well as copy files from one place to another. iphone too dragged on just for the seemingly simple task that!

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I am using android, and very easy to search for games, applications, as well as copy files from one place to another. iphone too dragged on just for the seemingly simple task that!

I know what you mean. I just switched back to iPhone for a bit and the App Store is definitely not as user friendly as Google Play, and copying files is definitely a pain!

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
There are several reasons that I have never used an iPhone...

1. iPhones do not allow for very much customization

2. Actions, like changing a setting, that are simple in Android, are complicated in iOS (requiring 'drilling down' through several menus)

3. Not enough variety of hardware

4. Familiarity...I have been using Android based phones since the HTC Hero

Josiah23

Q&A Team
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Well well well... I told all of you I will hold my ground to Android, (which I still will) but... I may have gotten news that I will be receiving an iPhone 6S Plus by early to mid January... My first iPhone but 2nd Apple product as I already own a MacBook. This isn't technically switching to iPhone but I will start using it more often to get familiar with the device (and see the rant that iMore forums was talking about, lmao)

I just got her today but like I said, I'm using both Android and IOS devices... I would never cheat on Android like that, lol

cd1a29401e2f258fe5c28b1338fa2df8.jpg