Why is AC so painfully slow?

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
AC is the only site this happens on. When I load the page on my Win 7 64 Pro computer (a Dell XPS L702X, latest version of Chrome browser. so it is no slouch), it literally takes at least a minute with every new page or page refresh before I have full control of the page. Scrolling is painful- about 5 to 10 seconds between each scrolling operation. Links don't register and I have to wait up to 20 seconds after hovering the mouse over one before I can select it. Manually stopping the remainder of the page from loading usually, but not always, speeds up the process. It's so bad that I dread coming here on a computer. I don't have this problem on my Android phone (on WiFi or Verizon), whether I use the Chrome browser or AC app, so it's not my home internet service. It feels like the AC servers are just overwhelmed and cannot serve up all the content on the page as fast as they should.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's strange--I'm having no problems on my Chromebook or my Win 8.1 desktop. Have you tried clearing the browser cache?

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
@Sandman333 - if you can give us any specifics on what is causing the slowness, we can investigate!

Can you tell what the page is trying to load when the slowness starts?
Are you able to pull any developer tool diagnostics?

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
@Sandman333 - if you can give us any specifics on what is causing the slowness, we can investigate!

Can you tell what the page is trying to load when the slowness starts?
Are you able to pull any developer tool diagnostics?
I have no idea what is causing it or I would try to fix the problem myself. Most of the AC content loads quickly. I think it's all the ads on the web version that completely bogs it down. I have waited in excess of a full minute before I can control the page (scroll without massive hesitation, click links, etc). Chrome keeps reporting that it is waiting for your server to send data during this time.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does it matter if you use Firefox or Internet Explorer? On Chrome, could it be related to Javascript? Or any of your plugins?

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Does it matter if you use Firefox or Internet Explorer? On Chrome, could it be related to Javascript? Or any of your plugins?
IE seems much faster. I only have a few extensions in Chrome but I'm not home with my computer to try disabling them right now.