Why is Android v.9 taking up 14 GB on my Moto X4?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I take a lot of pictures for my job, but I am almost out of room on my phone and not sure what to do. Around 97% of my 32 GB is being used. I don't know much about technology, but my research is telling me my OS, Android v.9, should not be taking up the 14 GB it's using, so I think that's the problem. When I click on System to see details, a box just pops up that says "System includes files used to run Android v.9." No other info is given. Should I be able to reduce how much space is being taken up? I've already got my photos backed up to Google and Storage Manager on, and my Free Up Space option shows no more unused items I can delete. So I don't really know what else to do but look for a new kind of phone that can fit 64 GB, and I really don't want to switch if I can avoid it. Thank you for any advice!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. That's about right, the Moto X4 came with 13-14GB of storage already taken by the system. It was one of the first models to have dual partitions A/B to support seamless updates and the price was the System taking a high percentage of the the total storage. Unfortunately there's nothing that you can do to avoid this problem.

I would recommend you to create an account so you can reply on this thread.