Why is my Camera not working

Wes Ascolese

Jan 12, 2020
Visit site
My phone is a Note 8. All software is up to date, all apps are up to date, and I dont believe it to be a hardware issue.

I have had this issue before and through some weird combination of clearing cache partition and factory resets I fixed it. Although the factory resets did nothing and it was only fixed after a cache partition purge.

This time I've gone through two resets and a dozen or so clearings of the cache partition along with clearing specific apps caches.

Symptoms are no error messages of any type. The camera app displays a black screen and seems "frozen". Other apps that are affected are Chase, Snap Chat, YouTube, and Amazon Shopping. The first two wont load and get similarly frozen, the last two are stuck in loading loops.

Flashlight function gives error message "cannot be used because the light is being used by another app"

I managed to have the front camera working after booting in safe mode, deleting some app caches, and restarting. But in my foolish attempt to get it all to work I restarted and lost my progress. When trying to open the camera that time I got a "camera could not connect to server"

I am at a pure loss

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you clarify -- when you got the front-facing camera working in Safe Mode, was the rear camera still malfunctioning?