Why is my LG G2 restarting continuously after attempted modding?

AndroidSiphy

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
LG G2 - Restarting continuously after attempted modding.

Cliff notes: LG G2 restarting - doesn't stay on long enough for me to fix things.

I admit defeat. After two days of searching the net and finding similar issues - this one has me stumped. I can't see how I'm going to get out of it.

I have the LG-G2 AT&T 32gb version.

Fed up of the bloatware from AT&T, I backed everything up via LG Backup and copied the file to my windows 7 computer. Went into LG PC suite and copied all the content manually that way too for another form of backup. LG PC suite had me install the LG Mobile drivers of course.

Then, rooted it which worked fine and installed Cyanogenmod CM 11 (snapshot M6 from May 2014). It seemed to work quite well, I could see my network operator, wifi was fine - all seemed well.

But... I couldn't see it when I connected it to my computer. Nothing happened. No inkling of any recognition. So.... this is when I made a really n00b like mistake (probably because I didn't realise the huge impact it would have).

Having previously backed up the EFS stuff with Teamwin Recovery (which is what I used to load CM 11) - I clicked restore... that messed up things royally and put it into this restart constantly loop. It stays on for random times but barely longer than a minute before restarting.

So... after much searching, I found out a guide on using LG Flash tool and a stock AT&T tot file from August (I tried the october one too - no luck) to reflash it back to stock.

That worked... but still it kept rebooting and now I had lost root and Teamwin recovery and no network info, would not connect to wifi (I couldn't even click in the password space to get a keyboard - that would not pop up no matter how many times I flashed it). I realised the EFS bits had been destroyed but as part of rooting, I had copied the two EFS img files rooting had created somewhere safe.

I thought that if only I could get it to stay on long enough I could try to get that EFS stuff back but by now it wasn't being recognised in Windows - adb could not see it even after removing/reinstalling drivers etc.

I got a glimmer of hope after finding an article on Koush's Universal ADB driver. That saw it recognised in device manager and sometimes - I could see it for a minute or so as a device under adb devices and also as a memory card storage in windows.

I thought if I could copy across the Teamwin apks and a decent file manager and EFS bits I might be able to restore things.

After a couple of reboots (by itself, not me) - I had managed to get Teamwin apk on the G2 and the file manager apk. However... in amongst all the reboots - these apks although recognised by the package installer just seemed to hang during installing. Despite not being massive (1 and 3mbs) - they would not install leaving me back at square one.

for the TL:DR; - G2 reboots constantly, not rooted, not recognised in Windows with EFS messed up.

My question is - is there any hope? Any way with all this constant rebooting and no network, wifi or root that I can fix the EFS stuff?

I'm at the point of throwing this thing out of the nearest airlock. Quite annoyed at myself for messing it up but what can I do eh. Trying to use the various simple rooting scripts do nothing - even when the device is visible in windows and under 'adb devices' from a command line. Those scripts hang - I tried pushing a recovery image via a fastboot flash recovery command - that hung too.

Thanks in advance for any help.

*sigh*

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: LG G2 - Restarting continuously after attempted modding.

Considering that the phone is worth over $200 working, it might pay to have a JTAG service shove a working stock ROM into it. (Look on ebay for JTAG service.)

AndroidSiphy

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: LG G2 - Restarting continuously after attempted modding.

Thanks for the reply/info. I've never heard of that type of service before. Not sure how they'll fix the EFS but considering the time/effort I spent so far - if they can do that, the few dollars they cost could well be worth it.

I'll look into that some. Ta :)