Why is my phone adding 4911 to the start of all text messages?

A

AC Question

I am from the US and I am temporarily living in Germany. I bought a German SIM card for my Samsung Galaxy S4. I am able to make send and receive phone calls and receive text messages, but I am unable to send text messages. Every time I send a message, I get an automatic replay from Fehlerinfo that says:
Die nummer 491149163.... ist nicht vergeben.

So the number I am trying to text has the german country code +49 followed by the number 163.... The messaging app seems to always add 4911 in front of the number I dial. So I have tried:
1. Dialing +49163...
2. Dialing 49163...
3. Dialing 163....
4. Replying directly to the text message I received

Options 1,2, and 4 all result in receiving the "nicht vergeben" message I listed above, and option 3 doesn't give me that message, but the text message never goes through.

I've tried changing the country setting in my phone (to both US and Germany), clearing the cache on the message app, turning "Assisted Dialing" off, turning "Assisted Dialing" on, and rebooting my phone after each change. I've also tried factory resetting my phone. Nothing seems to get rid of my phone adding on the 4911.

I am pretty sure it is something to do with my phone and not with the SIM or the network as my husband has a Motorola Razor and got the same type of SIM as I did and he is able to send and receive messages just fine.

Any thoughts?

Bridget Benson

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. Here's a similar thread found here on AC. Check out post #4 . It seems to have worked for the posters in the thread. Let me know if it worked.

Yes! Manually adding the "+" in the country code of the Assisted Dialing feature worked! Thank you so much! I've spent about 10 hours trying different things and reading forums - I just hadn't found that one.