Why is my Samsung tablet so sluggish after the latest software updates?

berntd

Aug 18, 2019
Visit site
My Tab A 2019 updated 2 days ago.
It is runnjng Android11

Since then, it is noticibly more sluggish.
To switch apps is slow, to bring up the keyboard is slow etc.

I have already cleared the RAM a number of times, restarted and killed less used apps.

Why is this happening and how do I fix it?
Can I downgrade the software?

It is sooo annying.

berntd

Aug 18, 2019
Visit site
Hello, I am the OP. I have now registered.

I looked ar the link for cache deletion but it seems to be for the internet browser.
My tablet is slow to change between apps and screens.
When I go to say Facebook, then to the browser, there will be a blank white screen for a while and then the browser appears.
If I then go back to the Facebook, that will then sit with a blank screen and come up to the same page as before.
It is almost like it reloads everything from scratch, every time I change between open apps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I am the OP. I have now registered.

I looked ar the link for cache deletion but it seems to be for the internet browser.
My tablet is slow to change between apps and screens.
When I go to say Facebook, then to the browser, there will be a blank white screen for a while and then the browser appears.
If I then go back to the Facebook, that will then sit with a blank screen and come up to the same page as before.
It is almost like it reloads everything from scratch, every time I change between open apps.

Sorry, the forum site sometimes transforms the links we paste into something useless. It's an ongoing struggle we have with the software.:-\

Try these steps to wipe the cache partition: https://www.hardreset.info/devices/samsung/samsung-galaxy-tab-a-80-2019/wipe-cache/

berntd

Aug 18, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

(BTW: It took several minutes to try and figure out how to log into this forum. There is no obvious login button visible.)

Ok, I followed that link and the system cache has been wiped successfully.

It does appear to operate better. Switching between apps is not as slow. I would say it is a big improvement.

It is however still a teensy bit slower than before the update. Hard to say exactly what it is as it is subtle. Because I use it a lot, I can tell that it is still different.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you using any 3rd party "RAM booster" apps? If so, get rid of them -- they can often ironically slow the system down.

Are you using the forum website on a computer browser, a phone browser, or the AC Forums app?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

(BTW: It took several minutes to try and figure out how to log into this forum. There is no obvious login button visible.)

Ok, I followed that link and the system cache has been wiped successfully.

It does appear to operate better. Switching between apps is not as slow. I would say it is a big improvement.

It is however still a teensy bit slower than before the update. Hard to say exactly what it is as it is subtle. Because I use it a lot, I can tell that it is still different.

Like Mustang mentioned, if you want it to perform just like before the update, you'll probably need to do a factory reset. Sometimes, but not always, a factory reset is needed after an update to get the device working right again.

berntd

Aug 18, 2019
Visit site
Will a factory reset revert the OS and system back to what was installed when shpiied originally?
Or what does that do?

BTW: Unless I am dreaming, the tablet now also seems to use a bit more battery than before the update.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Will a factory reset revert the OS and system back to what was installed when shpiied originally?
Or what does that do?

BTW: Unless I am dreaming, the tablet now also seems to use a bit more battery than before the update.

A factory reset wipes all your personal data, so anything not backed up will be lost. After resetting, it is normal to restore from a backup, though that can sometimes redownload onto the device whatever may have been causing the trouble that prompted the reset in the first place.

The device does not revert to any previous OS version.

Using more battery after an OS update, either temporarily as the device adjusts to the new version, or permanently, is not unusual.

berntd

Aug 18, 2019
Visit site
Not working correctly after update Samsung Tab A 2019

I did post a few weeks ago and recommendation was to reset the android cache.

I did that.

My device stll is not working properly since the last Oas update.

It is super slow. Even to come on when swiping the screen.

Battery is now low ever day or so instead of ~4 days.

Websites do not load fully. Right now, only the first 3td of a sales catalog loads with pictures. Tge rest is just headings with empty boxes for pictures.
That is the same on Crome and Samsung internet. Also loading desktop site.

Repeating on my phone, it loads immediately.

How can I revert to the older Android version that worked fine?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't see any mention yet if you tried Safe Mode. Give that a go.

I also made you the owner of the original guest post, to make it easier for you to find.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Not working correctly after update Samsung Tab A 2019

I did post a few weeks ago and recommendation was to reset the android cache.

I did that.

My device stll is not working properly since the last Oas update.

It is super slow. Even to come on when swiping the screen.

Battery is now low ever day or so instead of ~4 days.

Websites do not load fully. Right now, only the first 3td of a sales catalog loads with pictures. Tge rest is just headings with empty boxes for pictures.
That is the same on Crome and Samsung internet. Also loading desktop site.

Repeating on my phone, it loads immediately.

How can I revert to the older Android version that worked fine?
Have you tried the factory reset?, this won't change Android version

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Is there any way to revert to what the unit was shipped with?
Lately Samsung won't let you revert back to older bootloader version, I experience this when I flashed my s22U to Carrier firmware which had higher bootloader when I wanted to flash back to unlock version which had one bootloader version down , had to wait until unlock was on same bootloader.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Still haven't tested in Safe Mode?

Also, if you have an SD card, try unmounting it and removing it, in case the card might be impacting performance for some reason.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej