Why is my signal dropping dramatically when using Mobile Hotspot?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi there,

Some context: My partner and I live in a rural area where Internet options are limited. We're getting our Internet through Verizon hotspot data with an unlimited plan. We get 15GB for each of our phones, plus a Jetpack we also have a line for. We use a weBoost signal booster to get 4GLTE strength, which is pretty much limited to directly around the antenna, and so we use the Jetpack/phones for makeshift WiFi routers directly in front of the antenna and cycle through them as we run out of our monthly high speed data allotments.

The problem: This system has been working for a few months, but recently, my phone appears to dramatically drop its signal strength when I turn on my Mobile Hotspot. It's intermittent, but the low spikes are frequent enough that they're very noticeable and disruptive to my connection. I thought that maybe the signal booster was malfunctioning, but both our Jetpack and my partner's iPhone are continuing to receive a good signal and provide a strong, steady Internet connection. The issue seems isolated to my Android device, which is an LG G6 running Android 7.0.

I've tried power cycling the device. I've tried running the hotspot with and without external charging. Neither seem to make a difference. I'll try a factory reset if necessary but I wanted to see if there were any other suggestions here before I go that route.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.