News Why is net neutrality so important?

mn1225

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Why do people always fall for the catchy name? No government regulation has EVER done what its name implies. Net Neutrality is the same. It's not what you think it is and it will always cost more and will hand even more control to a government that absolutely does not care about you in the end. It needs to be put down for good.

kiniku

Nov 5, 2023
Visit site
Why do people always fall for the catchy name? No government regulation has EVER done what its name implies. Net Neutrality is the same. It's not what you think it is and it will always cost more and will hand even more control to a government that absolutely does not care about you in the end. It needs to be put down for good.
Yes. The totalitarians always use emotional appeals with disguised euphemisms to justify more government control over something. Look at all those “benevolent” fees on your cell phone bills. And now here they come for internet “regulation”. Hopefully a court will intervene on this and halt it.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm all for it. I was the last time it was in place.

It's telling when it's the companies that complained the most originally. That tells me all I need to know that it's a good thing.

Reactions: SeeBeeEss

SeeBeeEss

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
I'm all for it. I was the last time it was in place.

It's telling when it's the companies that complained the most originally. That tells me all I need to know that it's a good thing.
But... but... but, what about the New World Order, IIluminati and Deep State trying to put it to us and make us their slaves with this Net Neutrality thing? 😉

Reactions: joeldf

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." -Ronald Regan
It's the...

"We do this to provide you with better service"

...that bothers me, and those are what companies say all the time about the things they do. That affects me because that's their excuse to charge more, or add tracking cookies, or put ads in start menus...

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
It's the...

"We do this to provide you with better service"

...that bothers me...
Yeah no company is ever just doing something "...to provide better service". In some cases they might indeed be trying to provide better service, but if so one can bet the reason behind such is to retain customers, get more customers, or figure out ways to make more money.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." -Ronald Regan
Governments are not vastly different than companies, in terms of if they are trying to do something then there's normally reasons behind it. Often, there are vast opinions about the reasons.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Governments are not vastly different than companies, in terms of if they are trying to do something then there's normally reasons behind it. Often, there are vast opinions about the reasons.
With companies you at least have options, even if it's limited to picking the lesser evil or going without. With government, your choices are usually comply or suffer the consequences.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
With companies you at least have options, even if it's limited to picking the lesser evil or going without. With government, your choices are usually comply or suffer the consequences.
Some people have some options to choose between, for who they sign up with and therefore agree to pay money to for their internet service. Some people have less options for such than the number of options they have for who they can choose to vote for in various governmental elections.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Actual lived experience of 57 years has shown otherwise. I go by what actually happens to me, not by what I'm am told by the media is happening. I actually want the government to keep companies in check, because they obviously don't do a darned thing on their own that isn't self-serving.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Actual lived experience of 57 years has shown otherwise. I go by what actually happens to me, not by what I'm am told by the media is happening. I actually want the government to keep companies in check, because they obviously don't do a darned thing on their own that isn't self-serving.
My 43 years, including nearly 20 in an extremely regulated industry has pushed me to my claim, not the media. There's keeping companies in check, and then there's putting strangleholds on them that allow some to succeed and others to fail based on that action. Remember all the COVID lockdowns? Didn't do a thing to stop that spread, but it stopped tons of businesses. The only ones that thrived were ones that could say up delivery and curb side options that allowed online ordering ahead of time. Those that couldn't suffered heavily, if not shut down completely. That's just one of the more recent major blunders.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
My 43 years, including nearly 20 in an extremely regulated industry has pushed me to my claim, not the media. There's keeping companies in check, and then there's putting strangleholds on them that allow some to succeed and others to fail based on that action. Remember all the COVID lockdowns? Didn't do a thing to stop that spread, but it stopped tons of businesses. The only ones that thrived were ones that could say up delivery and curb side options that allowed online ordering ahead of time. Those that couldn't suffered heavily, if not shut down completely. That's just one of the more recent major blunders.
And I believe it did stop the spread from getting so much worse than it was. But I know I'm not going to convince you otherwise, so let's agree to disagree.