Why isn't my Text to Speech working through Bluetooth?

3-THK

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Text to Speech doesn't work through bluetooth

I've had the Note 5 for two weeks and love everything about it... except that the text to speech through bluetooth doesn't work! Neither the Samsung or the Google Text to Speech on the phone works through car stereos. I spoke with Samsung and they blamed Google. I spoke to my stereo manufacturer and they said they are getting complaints that the newest Samsung update may have blocked the ability to have text to speech. Supposedly for safety they don't want you answering messages by voice in your car. I guess I shouldn't talk in the car either. Any help from anyone??

I travel with my job and it was a great feature to be able to drive, answer emails by voice, answer texts by voice.... now just my notification sound comes through the stereo so I know I got an email or text. Have to pull over to respond. Not really safe!!!

Also, some of my default apps reset randomly. Is this happening to anyone else?

Love the phone, but I need the bluetooth talk to text feature for work!
If there is no solution to this I'm taking the phone back.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Text to Speech doesn't work through bluetooth

With a trusted device added, your Bluetooth and a trusted voice, I t doesn't work?

Google's newest update seems to have messed up Google working from a secure locked screen.

Also Google has this setting to route through a Bluetooth.

Attachments

• 1447249490235.jpg
    1447249490235.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 20

3-THK

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site

Thank you.... I have that setting, but it's not what I need. It doesn't solve the problem.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Thank you.... I have that setting, but it's not what I need. It doesn't solve the problem.

With Google, can't you say "OK Google" if your phone is not secure locked and then say, text xyz?

Are you wanting it to read your text to you?

3-THK

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site

Yes.... I need it to read my texts and emails to me and I verbally respond. My stereo has a microphone so it was easy with my old Motorola phone.

Saying "OK Google" to verbally text isn't working and I also cannot access any email.

I need to be able to know about my work email on the road.

Thanks for everyone's help. This is very frustrating.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Yes.... I need it to read my texts and emails to me and I verbally respond. My stereo has a microphone so it was easy with my old Motorola phone.

Saying "OK Google" to verbally text isn't working and I also cannot access any email.

I need to be able to know about my work email on the road.

Thanks for everyone's help. This is very frustrating.

Ok, first thing.. Google Now had an issue with the last update so it isn't recognizing OK Google.

The fixes while waiting on Google to correct it..

My mom's phone, I uninstalled the updates, let her train it again and then updated again, hers works.

Many had to leave the old version and not update again.

Now I'm not sure how much Google Now will do with a secure lock, because you fool it. I can get my mom's to respond to my voice.

Have you used the smart lock and used a trusted device, your Bluetooth and a trusted voice? It shouldn't secure lock with your trusted device connected, which should make Ok Google work, but you still might have to go to app manager and uninstall updates and keep it from updating until the fix is released.

I'm not sure about it reading out text, etc anymore. I don't use it often, I use S-Voice and don't know if either do that anymore, I never used that function. Now you can probably search the Play Store for a drive mode app that will announce calls, etc.

You might have to do a couple of things to play around with it. I can't even test it right now, my car was hit the other day, is in the shop and my rental doesn't have Bluetooth.

3-THK

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site

Ugh... sorry about your car.

I'm not having any problems with Ok Google. But what's frustrating is apps that I have for driving -- like Maps, or an app we have here in PA for problems with construction, etc. -- all come through the stereo with Bluetooth with no problem. It's just text to speech.

Like I said before... the notification sound comes through the stereo, but not the message.

There has to be some good apps out there to do this for me.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Well like I said, I think both used to work and be read through my stereo speakers. I haven't used Bluetooth with my Note 5 though.

It might be there used to be a Drive Mode that was either a Samsung thing or an AT&T thing that did that though.

I'll do some searching to and see if I come across any apps.

pbickel

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Have you tried downloading car mode through the galaxy app store? Works great for me, let's me respond to texts, create new ones, and control my phone all through my cars Bluetooth.

3-THK

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site

Contacting everyone.... it seems to be a Samsung thing. I use Verizon.
I spoke with Verizon and JVC who both said they are having complaints about the voice-to-speech, basically, being disconnected from the newest Samsung phones.

I've found some apps. There are a lot of apps. I've played with a few.
AVX seems to be the best. I've tried the free version. Glitch in it? It doesn't shut off and the voice never, EVER stops talking. I feel like I have my kids back in the car asking five hundred questions. It also completely takes over the bluetooth.... if it's not needed, it doesn't care. It also has a L-O-N-G tutorial. I've read a lot of great things about their full version, but I need to find out how to make it not take over every app on the phone. It's an "assistant" but wants to be the "boss". Really good app though.
But, the one I've liked the best and is the most user friendly is Dragon. I do get a lot of emails for work, so I have two servers on my phone. It uses Gmail as a default, but doesn't send it unless you press send. It seems confused when sending emails when more than one server is installed. I asked a question to them about that.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Does you car have the screen or just the built in Bluetooth. From the Samsung release in that article, it seems like using mirroring will work for the screen ones, and maybe just the car mode app will work for those without the screen or aren't compatible with mirroring.

If you have the screen, go to mirroring under connections to try and connect it. You might not need an app.

i8afli

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
If anyone on this forum can connect to their vehicle bluetooth device, but find that their voice to text no longer works, I found the trick is to turn off your wifi.
I don't know why Samsung would've set their systems up that way, but after frustratingly yelling at my phone to try to get it to recognize my voice while driving, for safety, it didn't even register.
Once wifi was off, it worked perfectly fine.

Unfortunately it's a flaw with their programming, but that seems to be the workaround for that issue specifically.