why isn't Note 5 as popular as iPhone 6s Plus in South Korea where Samsung is from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
why isn't Note 5 as popular as iPhone 6s Plus in South Korea where Samsung is from?

according to Bloomberg report that I just saw on TV, the new iPhone 6s Plus became available for pre-order in South Korea and managed to sell out within one day, with over 95,000 units. They compared that number to the Note 5, which didn't reach that number until 17 days after pre-order started.

Since Samsung is a Korean and the Koreans are know for being very loyal to products from their own country, I find this very amusing. Do the Koreans know something we don't? (as the owner of four Galaxy Note 5 phones, I'd really love to know!) :(

ShelJW

May 5, 2011
Visit site
If you like iPhones, and you want a large screen, there's basically two choices. The iPhone 6 plus, and the iPhone 6 6s Plus.

If you are into Androids, there are numerous choices...Nexus, HTC, Motorola, LG.... the note 5 is competing against all of those! No way one Android device will match an I Phone device in head to head sales!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd guess that it's a combination of Apple's wildly successful marketing machine (the Apple "mystique"), the iPhone's built-in audience, and of course, the general quality of the phone.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Because it doesn't have an eaten apple logo on the back.

Not to dismiss the iPhone but it's a scientific fact that many people buy apple just because it's apple.

Posted via the Android Central App

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
If you like iPhones, and you want a large screen, there's basically two choices. The iPhone 6 plus, and the iPhone 6 6s Plus.

If you are into Androids, there are numerous choices...Nexus, HTC, Motorola, LG.... the note 5 is competing against all of those! No way one Android device will match an I Phone device in head to head sales!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

THIS

StevenJ_AK

May 9, 2014
Visit site
What? Lol I just have to laugh at that. Don't believe them. The hype isn't real. Those 95,000 pre orders were most likely for Re-sellers on eBay and Amazon. The electronics hustle is REAL here. I live right the electronics market in seoul. I will say 95% of phones you see here are android. Mainly either LG or Samsung. I've seen more S6 edge and edge + then regular s6 or note 5. The aren't stating the fact that the population in seoul is 28 million people. 950k phones isn't that much. Also phones aren't a very big deal here like they are in the US. you can't just walk into a store, plop down the 1,100,000 won and walk out with a phone. It doesn't work that way in korea. You HAVE to buy on contract with a plan. There is no option to pay full price. There's no upgrades, if you want a new phone you have to buy out the contract and get a new one. People here are weird. Something else that's non existent is decent phone cases. You will not find a decent case in korea. Only 5-10 dollar cheap cases that fit like junk and no one cares! Everyone just buys 1 dollar glass screen protectors and crappy wallet cases and is happy. No Spigen, no Otterbox, no one at all buys the manufacturer cases so there for they barely ever have them at the stores. There's samsung stores here like Apple stores in the US but they still don't have fast charge wireless pads or packs because no one here will buy them. They'll buy a 5 dollar battery pack and 5 dollar qi pad that sucks. I've lived in seoul for a little over a year and I've had so far phone wise a Samsung Galaxy S5 prime (QHD display) galaxy Note 4 916 (810 snapdragon), iPhone 6 and 6 plus (daughters) LG G4, and now my forever phone the note 5 (until the 6 comes out of course)

Korean electronics culture is really odd. Same goes for Tvs as well. Stores sell them, but a name brand like LG or Samsung is at least 3 times the price then the states and no one will pay that here so everyone just buys non name brand knock off Tvs from Gmarket or coupang (online sellers here) and its still more then any normal decent TV in the US! I hate it. As a true geek and electronics freak I really really miss the nerdism that is the United States.

StevenJ_AK

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I could go on forever about Korean culture sorry! Especially the electronics here since we are dubbed as one of the most advanced countries in the world. As well as the manners here, driving pet culture the list goes on.

mari dub

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Because it doesn't have an eaten apple logo on the back.

Not to dismiss the iPhone but it's a scientific fact that many people buy apple just because it's apple.

Best statement I have seen in quite some time!

Mark Valentine

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Its not that the note 5 isn't popular, you have to realize that Samsung makes a vast amount of phones. The S series, note series, and all of the other galaxy series type phones that are released international. While Apple only focuses on the iPhone and the iPhone only. So of course the sales figures would be much larger when comparing one series of a device to multiple series of devices.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I could go on forever about Korean culture sorry! Especially the electronics here since we are dubbed as one of the most advanced countries in the world. As well as the manners here, driving pet culture the list goes on.

I ended up asking my female Korean friend. (not sure how accurate her opinions are, because she's been here 20+ years, moved here when she was only 15)

She said Koreans love foreign stuff... but only buy Korean cars & electronics to prove to their friends that they are patriotic.

StevenJ_AK

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I ended up asking my female Korean friend. (not sure how accurate her opinions are, because she's been here 20+ years, moved here when she was only 15)

She said Koreans love foreign stuff... but only buy Korean cars & electronics to prove to their friends that they are patriotic.

Oh yes very very true. I would say 80% of cars on the road are hyundai or Kia. You see a LOT of hyundai equuos here, which why someone would choose that over a 7 series BMW I don't know. Not saying you don't see foreign cars here just the majority is hyundai and Kia. There's some really wealthy people in this city who drive really nice cars. Funny thing is cars almost always are either black, white, or silver. No one buys a red or yellow car. I've already seen people carrying the LG V10 around, and these are usually like 55 year old Korean ladies. Just happened to need a new phone so got that one because it was the latest to drop and expensive. It's so weird.

cajunaggie87

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
From what I was told, you are not allowed to own a foreign car if you work for the Korean government. That means teachers too.

Sent from my SM-N920S using Tapatalk

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Apple still has his benefits
The Android machine, just get our hands on the use of very smooth, but an upgraded version of the new system will Caton appear, will now oh.

StevenJ_AK

May 9, 2014
Visit site
From what I was told, you are not allowed to own a foreign car if you work for the Korean government. That means teachers too.

Sent from my SM-N920S using Tapatalk

That's not true at all. Most govt workers have their fare share of Ferrari, audi, Maybach and the likes. Also teachers can drive whatever they want. Just so happens most beaters are 1990's hyundai haha. I drive a 1994 hyundai sonata 2.

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
That's not true at all. Most govt workers have their fare share of Ferrari, audi, Maybach and the likes. Also teachers can drive whatever they want. Just so happens most beaters are 1990's hyundai haha. I drive a 1994 hyundai sonata 2.

what alternate universe Korea do you live in where government workers can afford a Ferrari, Audi or Maybach? :)

but if true, I'm learning Korean in order to get a job there!

veritas_vincit

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Is it marketing? Maybe.
Is it lack of loyalty? Is not that simple. Cost is not the issue as both devices cost +/- the same, so it could be the fact that iPhone is an Apple product.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
It is really fascinating! Most of us would expect the opposite. I love hearing about other cultures.

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
The Note 5 seems to be doing fine...

LG's new V10 super-flagship packs many promising and unique features, but those don't appear to be helping the handset strike the right chord with consumers. The V10 is apparently off to a slow start in its home country of South Korea and analysts are not confident about the phone's future prospects.

According to data from market research firm ATLAS Research & Consulting, the LG V10 failed to break into the top 10 list of domestic smartphone sales during its first week of release, which is used as an indicator of consumer interest in a handset. The V10 only placed 15th between October 8th and 14th, while it was Samsung's Galaxy Note 5 that claimed the top spot. Other Samsung handsets, including the Galaxy S6, Grand Max and the mid-range Galaxy A5 also took places within the top 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582