Why, LG, why? (a rant)

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
--- be warned, this is a rant.

I ordered my phone at a local dealer three weeks ago.

Now I got a mail, that due to delivery Problems by LG, the phone will probably arrive mid January!!
Honestly?

I mean: yes, LG, you finally brought a great phone out and showed it to us in September. You then took another month to release it in the US. It took you till end of November to release it in Germany.
We here in Austria, bordering Germany, might not be the biggest market, but our 9 mil people are statistically using 3 phones per person. Austria is also a reference market for mobile Technology. UMTS and LTE were first tested here and our network coverage is one of the best world wide, as well as the wonderfully low rates for speech and data (I pay 13,- € for 3000 min speech, 3000 SMS and unlimited data - 17GB full speed LTE).

So yes, maybe we're not the biggest market. Maybe were not known so well and not so much in your Focus, LG. But believe me, due to your ridiculous marketing, you aren't in our focus that much either - and from what I hear, you're not that much in the focus with your mobile phones anywhere else, too.
This, and the fact that it's taking you MONTHS to get your product out in Europe means only one thing: people buy Samsungs S8+ or Note 8, which are significally getting cheaper over time, people buy the Huawei Mate 10 Pro which is a great phone and also cheaper than yours, heck, people might even buy iPhones, which are decent enough and have one big advantage: availability.

What the f*** is the matter with you, LG? Dou you really need to be told, that to earn money you need to sell your sh*t to people? And for people to buy your sh*t you need to offer it to them?
Dangling great products infront of your customers nose without giving them the ability to buy them is complete and utter nonsense. Your competitors have good products and have them available and are getting cheaper every month. You are loosing customers every day!

I really have to rethink now, of I wait that long or if I go for the Mate 10 Pro or (if it get's cheaper) the Pixel 2XL.

Shame on you, LG.

/rant

Sorry for the burst. But some psycho-hygiene was direly needed and I am sure, I am not the only one out there, who is fed up...

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Good for you Buddy, glad you got that off your chest! Feel better now?
Seriously tho, it's just not right, I get your outrage, there's just too much competition around now for this to be allowed to occur!

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Well, there are issues, if only a few to my knowledge:
1) Camera in "Auto" mode. The software could do with a makeover. If you install the Pixel camera app, shapshots become way better. Maybe they'll deliver an update some day. This is no reason to delay delivery of the phone, though. Software issues can be resolved via updates later.
2) 5MP front camera? Honestly? But they won't fix that. And for me, that's not a showstopper anyway.
3) Only one bottom firing speaker. Well they won't fix that either. Not a showstopper for me either.

What would be a good step for LG: stick with stock android, get rid of bloatware and therefore position yourself in a place where you can deliver new Android versions quickly.

All valid things IMHO. Nothing to stop them from delivering, though.

Sad to say, but while LG is great productwise, they are loosers when it comes to marketing.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Walked into a Samsung store, whoops I meant Best Buy over the weekend, here in the States, and there wasn't a v30 to be found. Samsung, Apple phones were everywhere. Then I spied over in the corner of the department, a table with a G6, a cheap LG phone, and a Motorola phone. The G6 wasn't even turned on. AT&T stores are about the same. It's no wonder that LG's don't sell well. The average person walks into a store, and is bombarded by the other manufactures. Lg is no where to be found.

DFranch

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Walked into a Samsung store, whoops I meant Best Buy over the weekend, here in the States, and there wasn't a v30 to be found. Samsung, Apple phones were everywhere. Then I spied over in the corner of the department, a table with a G6, a cheap LG phone, and a Motorola phone. The G6 wasn't even turned on. AT&T stores are about the same. It's no wonder that LG's don't sell well. The average person walks into a store, and is bombarded by the other manufactures. Lg is no where to be found.

LG makes descent phones (loving my V30), but can't seem to market them to save their life. Hopefully the new guy in charge of LG Mobile can fix that.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Go to the Verizon website and search Smartphones. V30 is on page 3 of 3. Again, cheap LG phones for prepaid come up first

VoodooMagnetman

May 24, 2017
Visit site
Went to a official Verizon Wireless store and they didn't even have an V30 on display. None in stock as well. LG can't be selling many of these in the US. No marketing and no availability in stores. It's amazing that the price hasn't dropped.

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I found an electronics store now, which had the V30 listed on their website with "available". They would have sent it to me in 3-4 days. As they have a real store, too, I went there and asked them for the phone. They had a lot of Samsungs and Apples on Display, and even the new Huaweis.
They had to look the V30 up in their computer (the girl there actually looked on their own website, then in their database). She seemed quite surprised and told me, that they've got it in stock since yesterday.

I bought it there and then.

So since yesterday, I am at last, happy owner of the V30.

Something must have changed the last few days. Suddenly the V30 changed from "avail mid Jan" to "get it right now". Maybe these are the first marks of the new leadership?

Aithan

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
--- be warned, this is a rant.

I ordered my phone at a local dealer three weeks ago.

Now I got a mail, that due to delivery Problems by LG, the phone will probably arrive mid January!!

If it makes you feel any better at all, I live in the US, my LGs (two) were ordered on late November, and:

1) both packages arrived late
2) one of the packages got delayed twice!
3) To make matters worse, I had ported my home line to one of the new phones and amazingly, the porting went faster than the shipping and so when I finally got the phone after the second round of delays, I already had several days' worth of voicemail to listen to.

Somehow for some reason, even though the first package shipped without issue save for the minor delay (I was cool with it; it gets super busy here at the end of November), the second package which was shipped at the same time managed to get delayed a second time and for several extra days...

Also because of a shipping error.

Several days might not seem like much, but where I live, I have access to really fast 'guaranteed' X-number-of-days shipping and so getting my package late without so much as an apology and after I had paid for the fast shipping rather pissed me off.

I don't expect perfect and I totally get that the winter season is crazy with shipping, but around my neck of the woods, if it's guaranteed, then it ought to be - especially for things that cost as much as the V30 series does.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Sounds very unfortunate. Always buy from a trusted and reputable retailer. Buying directly from the manufacturer you're going to experience terrible customer service because they don't specialize in customer service but only profit, retailers like Amazon do and have excellent customer service 24/7.

BTW I've ordered from Samsung once and it was a nightmare trying to get into contact with someone.

Aithan

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
T-Mobile listed it last because it's the newest and the V30+ was listed last. Incidentally, I had to order my V30+ because they had just received them in their inventory and they hadn't shipped to stores yet.