Why should I choose Android?

Strings78

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I've been a longtime iPhone and Windows Phone user, but I am currently looking at getting a new phone on Sprint and the HTC One and the Moto X have both caught my eye, but I honestly don't know anything about android except what I hear the trolls say. I just wanted to get an opinion from the people that use android the most, what phone do you think is better and why should I pick android?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been a longtime iPhone and Windows Phone user, but I am currently looking at getting a new phone on Sprint and the HTC One and the Moto X have both caught my eye, but I honestly don't know anything about android except what I hear the trolls say. I just wanted to get an opinion from the people that use android the most, what phone do you think is better and why should I pick android?

In a word: Customization. Not just wallpapers and some ringtones, but notifications, themes, launchers, widgets, icon packs....then on to rooting (jailbreaking) you can flash custom ROMs, which can be themed already, root only apps that allow to tweak the device, back up application data, etc.

'This is my Android; There are many like it, but this one is mine.'

By the way, welcome to the forums. I have the Moto X on Sprint and I love the phone.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It's really preference. If iOS and Windows offer you everything you need then there may not be a reason to switch. For me, it's the integration of the services I use daily (most are Google) and the ease of using these services from my Android device. Also, the variety in device selection is a plus and I have a lot to choose from across all carriers and manufacturers.

It's really hard to convince people to make the switch. You really need to pick up a device and use it for a while. That's the only way you are going to know if its for you or not.

Strings78

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
In a word: Customization. Not just wallpapers and some ringtones, but notifications, themes, launchers, widgets, icon packs....then on to rooting (jailbreaking) you can flash custom ROMs, which can be themed already, root only apps that allow to tweak the device, back up application data, etc.

'This is my Android; There are many like it, but this one is mine.'

By the way, welcome to the forums. I have the Moto X on Sprint and I love the phone.

Thank you for the welcome! Lack of customization is what is driving me away from iOS and i thought the answer was Windows Phone, but with the lack of things I've become so used to (notification center, apps that I love etc) I'm learning that I don't love WP either.

My main concern is a lack of upgrading to newest features and the "lag" that everybody always talks about. This is something I LOVED about iOS. What Android phones usually get get the updates to newest versions? And are the lag rumors true? (Sorry for all the questions)

hell911

May 5, 2012
Visit site
^
im using S2 right now, i feel lag, but it doesnt kill me, but you will be getting a better phone than mine, so dont think about lag.

im happy with Android, i actually bought phone from someone who installed a custom firmware on it.. so today i installed a newer Stock firmware, it was a success. im happy, its like i have achieved something!! :D

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the welcome! Lack of customization is what is driving me away from iOS and i thought the answer was Windows Phone, but with the lack of things I've become so used to (notification center, apps that I love etc) I'm learning that I don't love WP either.

My main concern is a lack of upgrading to newest features and the "lag" that everybody always talks about. This is something I LOVED about iOS. What Android phones usually get get the updates to newest versions? And are the lag rumors true? (Sorry for all the questions)

Updates: The phone (or phones) that truly best compare iPhones to Android would definitely be the Nexus devices or possibly the Moto X. The X is still somewhat a carrier branded phone, but also new, so to use the cliche 'the jury is still out' applies. I honestly am not too concerned about the update part. 4.2 is still pretty new compared to some devices out there now. Excluding Nexus, if you stick to a flagship device, (Galaxy S/Note, HTC One, LG G2) you should get at least one major update, but the delay will be significant.

As for lag....depends in the device. Galaxies tend to, but they run a themed/skinned version of Android, and that can suck up resources. Nexus devices run very smooth, and my Moto X runs smoother than my old S3 with a custom ROM and anything I could do to cut lag (even though I noticed very little)

Be advised: The iPhone and any Android devices should not be treated the same when it comes to some types of lag. Apple focuses 100% on user input. When you touch the screen, everything stops. Android will still obey your input, but will still continue to execute tasks either you or the OS initiate.

CeasarNY

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
You should jailbreak ur iPhone. U will get all the customization options that are on android. I recently purchased a note 3 just for me to finally check out android as well. In reality, u could do almost eveything (besides the phone features like s pen, smart pause/scroll, etc) that android does on a jailbroken iPhone. I would give it a try before u switch

Posted via Android Central App

clemson77on

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I can't speak for the Moto X, but I have zero lag on my HTC One. It also matched my wife's iPhone 5 battery when stock. Now that I've rooted it and installed greenify along with tasker controlling when things should be on or off, it blows her 5 away in battery life. Also, there are a lot of times she can't do things on her phone that I can on mine. Most of it has to do with limitations in apps due to Apple's walled garden.

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
If you're going to get the Moto X you might as well look at the Maxx. It's the same price and pretty much the same phone with a bigger battery.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Should you?

It's really about the ecosystem.

You're an iPhone user. How important are features like iCloud and iMessage? Or do you already use Google's services day-to-day?

You're a Windows Phone user. How important is Skydrive and Office?

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Customization is indeed great. I use my 5 home screens to display various info and widgets, time and weather in different locations, next appointments, etc.. What I find even better are

1. The notifications: notifications on android are great and I think this is just a start. Having the ability to take action straight from the notification is I think a huge plus - I love being able to delete emails without having to open any app. I don't know how notifications work on iOS however. I was under the impression they became more like android recently.

2. Google ecosystem. If you are a heavy user of google products - gmail, photos, music, drive, etc.. - then your experience with android will no doubt be much better than with iOS.

3. Google now. Again, I think it's only the beginning for google now but it's a very promising start. How convenient to see that your flight has been delayed for example without having to go specifically search on a website, or that your parcel has been despatched.

Strings78

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Should you?

It's really about the ecosystem.

You're an iPhone user. How important are features like iCloud and iMessage? Or do you already use Google's services day-to-day?

You're a Windows Phone user. How important is Skydrive and Office?

I am super invested in Skydrive and Office, however I have had enough of waiting for Microsoft to decide to make Windows Phone a viable 3rd contender. Apps are still important to me and WP does not have all of the options that I want and need. Also, the lack of a unified notification center is still a major knock on the OS in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiid