Why The iPhone 4S Failed To Excite

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
These problems don't exist, period. In my honest opinion, this topic is pretty much a pissing contest at Apple. I mean a phone making record sales is saying something.

Can't please everybody. Most people need something to complain about. I don't think people really care what they complain about as long as they are complaining.

I know. I honestly think people will find anything to complain about if there's nothing there especially for Apple.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I bought one and I am happy with it. It is better than I had originally thought it would be when I heard the announcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Photon4glover

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Can't please everybody. Most people need something to complain about. I don't think people really care what they complain about as long as they are complaining.

Then apple should have two iphone one for nerds, that you can customize and has 4in screen. And the old people one that's locked

Sent from my MoPho on The Sprint Network

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
But I think one of the big problems people are having is that the new features that are being promoted, Android has been doing for quite a while...not really anything that should be labeled as innovative.

That the one area that Android fails in my opinion. They don't market what their phones can do. Android devices are brilliant, but the average consumer wouldn't know that. To be honest, I believe that the average consumer buys Android phones because they think that it mimics the iPhone. This isn't any fault of the consumer. It is the neglectful advertising of Android smartphone manufacturers and carriers. They need to advertise better.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

pream5

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Just want to add that it doesn't seem like these problems exist for many being that At&t already sold 1 million in the first 24 hours and we don't know Verizon and sprint numbers yet
That's one of the flimsiest reasons in the book to justify the quality of something. People in large numbers are just as prone to making dumb decisions as people in small numbers. As a matter of fact, it has been proven via scientific studies that people in large numbers are MORE prone to making dumb decisions due to a sort of "momentum" effect. There are lots of Group Psychology case studies which show instances of people who were getting raped or murdered in a crowded area in broad daylight and nobody came to their rescue because each person thought that nothing is wrong if someone else isn't doing anything about it. Nobody wanted to be the first sheep out of line. That's just one example. Ever gone to a party/campout with over a thousand people and notice how idiotic and careless people get? Yeah, I'm hoping you catch my drift. :)

These problems don't exist, period. In my honest opinion, this topic is pretty much a pissing contest at Apple. I mean a phone making record sales is saying something.
It certainly is saying something, but you're not hearing it, so let me give you an example:
Brittany Spears has sold millions of albums Worldwide and made millions of dollars. Yet, I could, quite possibly, find a million people on this planet who are much more talented than her.
It's called hype, marketing, blind idolatry, and product loyalty. As was pointed out before, Apple is great at creating hype and viral marketing. They get people to not just financially invest in their products, but also emotionally. Apple fans will blindly defend Apple products to death even in the face of better reason. It's a new type of brand brainwashing mechanism and it works well for many companies. Apple just happens to be one of the best at such brainwashing.

If Apple will build it, they WILL buy it! I'm in awe of Apple - not for their products - but for their marketing brainwashing abilities.

Last edited:

pream5

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
And here is the conclusive part of the reason I began this thread: cold, hard, real-world practical facts.

Samsung Galaxy S2 vs Apple iPhone 4S FACE OFF:
VIDEO: PART 1
VIDEO: PART 2

Samsung Galaxy S2 vs Aple iPhone 4S DROP TEST:
ARTICLE & VIDEO

People are always bragging about Apple iPhone's "build quality". What good is that if you have to baby your phone with a heavy armor case or else risk having it destroyed after one drop? This is not a jab at Apple fans, but rather a criticism of why Apple (as well as other mobile manufacturers) still haven't figured out that high-end smartphones should come with solid durability from the factory floor! It seems like the most basic requirement of a top-dollar mobile device to me.

By the way. these facts speak for themselves so please don't try to spin the results in these videos to your liking. Any such attempts will be more telling of your desperation and bias than anything else.

Reactions: cgardnervt

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Nice videos Pream!

I still am not a fan to the GS2 sadly. Sammy needs to step up their customer service and produce updates before I ever buy a product from them.

So no matter the speed in my book its iPhone > GS2.....

I need support for my devices! Not just a great launch. Support is KEY for me! Something as much as I hate to admit it Apple has it down. But when it comes to Android....HTC please!

We can all dream though!

OH YES WE CAN! RIP WebOS :(

Last edited:

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
That's one of the flimsiest reasons in the book to justify the quality of something. People in large numbers are just as prone to making dumb decisions as people in small numbers. As a matter of fact, it has been proven via scientific studies that people in large numbers are MORE prone to making dumb decisions due to a sort of "momentum" effect. There are lots of Group Psychology case studies which show instances of people who were getting raped or murdered in a crowded area in broad daylight and nobody came to their rescue because each person thought that nothing is wrong if someone else isn't doing anything about it. Nobody wanted to be the first sheep out of line. That's just one example. Ever gone to a party/campout with over a thousand people and notice how idiotic and careless people get? Yeah, I'm hoping you catch my drift. :)

It certainly is saying something, but you're not hearing it, so let me give you an example:
Brittany Spears has sold millions of albums Worldwide and made millions of dollars. Yet, I could, quite possibly, find a million people on this planet who are much more talented than her.
It's called hype, marketing, blind idolatry, and product loyalty. As was pointed out before, Apple is great at creating hype and viral marketing. They get people to not just financially invest in their products, but also emotionally. Apple fans will blindly defend Apple products to death even in the face of better reason. It's a new type of brand brainwashing mechanism and it works well for many companies. Apple just happens to be one of the best at such brainwashing.

If Apple will build it, they WILL buy it! I'm in awe of Apple - not for their products - but for their marketing brainwashing abilities.

But not everyone has the same tastes. The iPhone is a great product. It is simple to use and has an ecosystem that the majority is familiar with and understands. That's what makes it better than the competition in the eyes of some consumers. People aren't sheep because they buy Apple products. It is really a great product. Is it the best? Could be depending on who you are and what you want. But the argument that consumers don't know any better that's why they buy Apple is getting tired. Just like those who claimed that the iPhone was just a toy.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
You also are forgetting the fact that Apple has a single device, the iPhone, to support. Yes, there are several versions (3G, 4, 4S) but they are still the same device. Samsung, HTC, and everyone else has not only multiple OS', but multiple devices to warranty, to provide support.

Apple made a conscious decision to make one product, and make it very well. Everyone is always going to have strong feelings about Apple versus Android (which I have to point out, seems silly considering we are arguing about cell phones, not international relations). Whether you like it or not, Apple makes a great product. Sure, you can complain about the glass on the front and back, and dropping your phone, but if you search the forums, there are plenty of photos of Samsung and HTC devices with broken screens.

Everyone needs to choose the product that best fits their needs. For some, customization is where it's at. For others, they want a UI that is the same from day one, one that can't be changed, that can't be screwed up.

Choose the device you like, be it Android or Apple, and be happy. But don't get upset with someone for choosing something different than you.

It's just a cell phone... :)

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I think most techdorks/anal-ysts are mad because it looks the same. If they slapped a new housing around a bigger screen they'd be loving it.

Non-nerds are scooping 'em up just like Apple predicted.

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, Apple does have a cult like following. However, the difference with Android users is they do not have to stick with one manufacturer. People switch from the Nexus, to the Droid, to the Evo, to the Bionic, to the GSII, to the whatever comes next. With Apple, it is all the same device maker, so it seems like people are blindly following Apple. I think it's actually a lack of options for iOS users.

pream5

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
But not everyone has the same tastes. The iPhone is a great product. It is simple to use and has an ecosystem that the majority is familiar with and understands. That's what makes it better than the competition in the eyes of some consumers.
I think the main cause of disagreement here is some miscommunication, or maybe your misconception of my view. First off, I agree with your above statement wholeheartedly. However, it is undeniable that tons of people become emotionally tied to their smartphones and iPhone users are one of the best examples of that. They are quick to deem everything from Apple as automatically amazing. I see that happening quite often everywhere. Are Android fanatics also guilty of this? Of course! But I think it is safe to say that this ridiculous game started with Apple fans.

People aren't sheep because they buy Apple products. It is really a great product. Is it the best? Could be depending on who you are and what you want.
People aren't sheep because of a particular product. They are sheep due to their motives and their need to defend that company/product above & beyond all means. That's cult mentality and I see that often with Apple fans (as well as with Android fans, albeit, to a lesser degree). Apple makes a product (the iPhone) which people fall in love with and then they want to deride everything else out there. It's silly and it has been occurring for quite some time.

At the end of the day, I agree with you that the best product is the one which works best for an individual, but too many people are obviously losing sight of that fact.

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I think the main cause of disagreement here is some miscommunication, or maybe your misconception of my view. First off, I agree with your above statement wholeheartedly. However, it is undeniable that tons of people become emotionally tied to their smartphones and iPhone users are one of the best examples of that. They are quick to deem everything from Apple as automatically amazing. I see that happening quite often everywhere. Are Android fanatics also guilty of this? Of course! But I think it is safe to say that this ridiculous game started with Apple fans.

People aren't sheep because of a particular product. They are sheep due to their motives and their need to defend that company/product above & beyond all means. That's cult mentality and I see that often with Apple fans (as well as with Android fans, albeit, to a lesser degree). Apple makes a product (the iPhone) which people fall in love with and then they want to deride everything else out there. It's silly and it has been occurring for quite some time.

At the end of the day, I agree with you that the best product is the one which works best for an individual, but too many people are obviously losing sight of that fact.

Deja vu. Pretty sure I read this post verbatim several months ago.