Wi-Fi connectivity issues

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm having consistent problems with Wi-Fi connectivity. A Wi-Fi network I attempt to connect to shows a strong signal and the moment I connect to the network, the signal strength drops to one bar and I can't get connected. Other times, I can connect and then the Wi-Fi drops out for no apparent reason. In that situation, I'll bring up the wireless networks and while it still shows a strong signal, under the network name it says temporarily avoiding poor connection.

Posted via Android Central App

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I forgot to mention that the issues I'm experiencing are all on public networks. I always expect there to be some sort of agreement page in order to get full access to the internet. Since I'm dealing with public networks, most of what's in the troubleshooting guide doesn't apply. For instance, I can't reset the router for a public Wi-Fi or change the channel.

I have asked on occasion for the operator of a public Wi-Fi to reset the router, and sometimes that works. I've unchecked Wi-Fi optimization and the avoid poor connection options.

In other instances, once authenticated to the Wi-Fi, there are times when I can't access any website or use any data application like the Android Central app.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Every time I use a public wifi hotspot (like at Starbucks, for example) if I wait a (no more than a few minutes) I'll get a notification that tells me the hotspot requires authentication and, when you select the notification, it pops us a web view that walks you through logging in, agreeing to terms, etc.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I was having this problem at home only. Rebooting the router usually did the trick. But then it got more frequent and also affected our home internet. Turns out that the new cable modem they installed in August had its own built in router which the guy installing the system didn't disable. The two routers were conflicting with each other. Once the router in the cable modem was disabled everything has been fine. Not saying this is your problem but posted this as information for others that might help someday.

silverback

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm having consistent problems with Wi-Fi connectivity. A Wi-Fi network I attempt to connect to shows a strong signal and the moment I connect to the network, the signal strength drops to one bar and I can't get connected. Other times, I can connect and then the Wi-Fi drops out for no apparent reason. In that situation, I'll bring up the wireless networks and while it still shows a strong signal, under the network name it says temporarily avoiding poor connection.

I have the same problem. I haven't found much that helps. I am tired of doing a full wipe every time Verizon throws out a new forced over the air downgrade. I'm seriously thinking about going back to HTC because I can't get anything but lip service from Verizon. At least with (most) HTC devices, they can be rooted. That allows a fix, even if Verizon doesn't help. This phone was great...before the forced OTA downgrades. I wish I could go back...

scooph

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I have also had WiFi connectivity problems on my Droid MAXX, which I believe started after the last update from Motorola and Verizon. At home, I have a cable modem/router that transmits WiFi only in the 2.4 GHz band. My phone rarely will connect. In fact, I can be standing right next to the router and sometimes my phone won't even list that router. It sounded like interference issues to me, but changing channels and even switching out the cable modem/router for a different one did not make a difference. Occasionally, I will look at my phone at home and it is connected to WiFi, which it did automatically, but eventually the connection disappears. This also happens, but less frequently, on some public WiFi networks.

I found a workaround that works for me, at least for now. I have an older dual band router, which I plugged in to the cable modem/router, and I configured it to transmit on the 5 GHz band only. My phone is able to maintain a solid connection on the 5 GHz band. Not the best solution, but I think I will go with it as long as it works.