Verizon Galaxy S8 Wi-Fi won't stay connected to FiOS Router

chileboy

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
This just started happening recently - my S8 simply will not connect to the FiOS router. The Wi-Fi will say "Connected" for a second, then it disconnects ("Wi-Fi disconnected").

I have scoured these forums, the Verizon forums and elsewhere and found folks with similar issues/solutions but nothing I have tried works.

On S8 I have:
  • Disabled Bluetooth, Visibility, Scanning and/or NFC
  • Disabled SmartSwitch
  • Assigned a static IP
On Router:
  • Tediously tried EVERY W-Fi channel
  • Disabled WMM
and a bunch of other stuff on both I can't remember right now.

I should mention that while I can't connect to the main gateway router (Quantum Gateway G1100), in the farthest corner of my house I have a the "official" Verizon Wi-Fi Extender (Actiontec WCB6200Q), if I stand near that and cycle the Wi-Fi on and off I can connect to it. Which would "almost" be acceptable except the S8 can't see it from where I usually am.

No other Wi-Fi device has any problems - my fiancee's and her kids iPhones, my friend's Galaxy S7, my old S6, mine and everyone's notebook PCs, etc., all connect flawlessly, whether they're 2.5GHz, 5GHz, b/g/n or whatever. So it seems to be an S8 issue.

S8 is running Android 7.0, Samsung Experience 8.1, not sure what else is relevant. Not rooted.

Thanks for any advice.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Do you have a USBC to Ethernet adapter that you can use for testing? Are you using Windows PC ir Mac via Ethernet to manage your router or other equipment? My Mac wifi has been unbearable, ~2Mb instead of 80Mb.

My connections for the last two days has been off. Makes me thing there are changes on the other end, ISP provider.

chileboy

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
No, I don't have a USB-C Ethernet adapter unfortunately. I am using a Windows PC for managing the router, but I will say that the kids have Macs and they haven't experienced any issues, nor have any of our other (many) devices, just my S8. So I don't know how it could be something Verizon did. Maybe worth mentioning here that the S8 is on Verizon as well.

Plus this has been going on for 2-3 weeks or more, not 2 days as in your case...

chileboy

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Completely OT, but how do you delete a post? Somehow (I have no idea how) my last one double-posted. Hovering over the pencil icon says "Edit/Delete" but the only option when you actually click it seems to be "Edit". So I just edited the double-post to ask this question. :)

Last edited:

mah817

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Chileboy, have you had any updates, I have the almost exact issue come up this week. My Verizon S8+ will only connect to my Netgear Nighthawk on the 5G for a few seconds then drops the connection. It will however connect to the same 5G through my Netgear extender and stay connected. It will also connect to my 2.4 connection on the Nighthawk and stay connected. I've tried resetting the router to defaults and many other things on the phone and router!

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Chileboy, have you had any updates, I have the almost exact issue come up this week. My Verizon S8+ will only connect to my Netgear Nighthawk on the 5G for a few seconds then drops the connection. It will however connect to the same 5G through my Netgear extender and stay connected. It will also connect to my 2.4 connection on the Nighthawk and stay connected. I've tried resetting the router to defaults and many other things on the phone and router!
Interference from other nearby routers, neighbours etc? Tried changing to different channel?

Are you using Netgear Genie or something else to check signal strength?

Recent flurry of firmware updates from Netgear.

mah817

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
No interference, tried different channels. Used WiFi Analyser program to check signal and interference. Got all the firmware updates, reset router to defaults. There are 4 other phones in the household none of which are having any problems connecting. One of which was having similar problems, a S7, but it stopped having problems after a software update from Verizon 2 days ago. Seems like my S8+ the only common denominator in this equation.

chileboy

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I went down all of those roads as well.

Here's the full scoop: My 2.4 and 5 bands both had the same name, which always worked before. It's a lot more convenient, as everyone's device connects on whatever band it wants, and it never confused any device until my S8 started having this issue.

When I changed the 5GHz band to a different name, I was able to connect.

But here's the weird part: even if I *completely disable* the 2.4GHz, I still can't connect to the 5GHz if I use the old SSID! So I think there is something cached or something on the S8 that is attached to - interfering with - that SSID.

I tried resetting my network settings on the S8, which should clear that, but it did not.

I honestly didn't try using a new, different name for both - that is, both bands with same new name - I have too many devices to reconfigure.

Long story short, try renaming the network. I know that's a pain, believe me, but that's what worked for me.

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I woud suggest that you go into the Quantum router setting and make the S8 as a static IP. I had slightly different problem but was solved when I setup static IP. (advanced\yes\IP Distribution\connection list then edit your connection for phone to make static.

PS: If things work better on network extender I am guessing that your extender might have a different name and password that your router. Verizon recommends (I am only a FIOS user who recently got an extender) that the router and extender have same names and passwords.

EWY

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Most likely the issue is with your Samsung S8 phone not with the router. I have a S8+ unrooted running Android 7.0 and Samsung Experience 8.1. The router at home is a Linksys WRT19000AC. My WIFI signal is weak on 5GHz, it gets better on 2.5GHz. However, I noticed that I get better speed on 5GHz. I have various devices on this network and only the S8+ has such a weak signal. I checked the WIFI with my other phones and they all connected with a much stronger signal. I can get a signal outside my front door with all other devices but not with my S8+.
It seems that there is an issue with Samsung S8/S8+ connecting to a WIFI signal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FerretPhone