Wifi issues with my LG V20

bikemd

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I purchased an LG V20 a month ago or so. I've experienced significant connection issues with the WiFi network at my workplace. So far, this is isolated/specific to my workplace. (I work in a 1000+ bed hospital with what should be good WiFi infrastructure) There are no issues with the WiFi at my house or at many other hotspots around my city.

The problem at work is that the V20 has no problem connecting to the WiFi signal. I can even run a speed test and get 20Mbps up and down on this signal. But when I actually try to "use" it to go to a web page on a browser or send a Whatsapp or Google Hangout message, it often doesn't work. When I try to load a webpage, the browser tries and it is very slow and often times out/gives up after 30+ seconds of trying. I've used my old phones (Nexus 6P and iPhone SE) side-by-side with the V20 and these phones loads up and renders the same webpages without issues in 2-5 seconds. The V20 just doesn't seem to work with the WiFi here despite a strong and fast signal. That's the strange thing.

I've contacted my hospital's IT and they have nothing to offer. Is there anything anyone can suggest? For what it's worth, because of this issue and a battery drain issue (maybe related?), LG replaced the motherboard on this unit a week ago. Since I've received it back, the problem persists (obviously, with a motherboard change, the unit had a system reset as well.)

This is very frustrating. I could use my cell data but the reception inside the massive buildings I'm in is extremely poor. So that's not even an option.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Any wifi system that has a possibility of close to 1,000 connections is going to have problems. Hospitals haven't learned yet that they need a large fiber-to-the-backbone connection. A 100mbps connection may be a lot more than you need at home, but try doing that in a hospital environment, with a managed network, and 100mbps is barely faster than dial-up to each user. (The local hospital has just under 600 beds - and should be ashamed of what they call "wifi".) It's one of the reasons we need IPv6 - there aren't enough IPv4 class B addresses for all the hospitals in the world.

Use mobile data when you're at work. It's not the phone, it's the hospital trying to shove 6 elephants into a Volkswagen.

bikemd

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I understand what you are saying. But I've had no issues when I was using my Nexus 6P or my iPhone SE on the very same network. (And I've been at this same hospital for the past 17yrs) Plus these other phones also had no problems whatsoever in a side-by-side test with the LG V20... (In other words, the 6P loads a webpage in 2-5seconds while the V20 next to it doesn't load the webpage and times out after 30-60seconds of trying.) So if your theory is correct, I should be encountering the same problem with my Nexus 6P or iPhone. However, the other phones I've tried are very zippy on the same WiFi signal.

That is why I am pretty sure there is something wrong with the V20. Some sort of compatibility issue (either at the hardware or software end).

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I work in a huge hospital too... here in St.Louis and have had lots of wifi issues on various occasions.

It most likely is a capability issue with the type of repeater they have if it is only happening at your place. Your IT dept will use different models of repeaters throughout the network there and having all on the same firmware so that they will work with all of the different Android phones most likely isn't a high priority for them.. Most hospitals prioritize for the iPhones.

See if you get the same problem or issue on your home network side by side with your other phones.. If you don't have issues there then as I said above this is the most likely cause.

If you do have issues then do a factory reset and see if that helps.

You can also try a different browser and see if it makes a difference too if all else fails.

Mac

bikemd

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions, Mac.

However, I am not exactly sure what you are getting at. Like I said earlier, I have had no problems simultaneously using my Nexus 6P or my iPhone SE or my iPad on the same network. Literally, side-by-side, at the same time.

The V20's is always connected to the WiFi signal and shows high internet speed using a speed test utility. The problem is actually using ANY internet app. Whether that is Chrome, Whatsapp, Google Hangout, Twitter, etc. Sometimes, I get something but most of the time, even a simple Whatsapp text message shows "sending" for up to a minute before it is sent. Trying to load a website could take a minute but maybe it doesn't load at all. To me, it says something about how the V20 is interacting with the Wifi network at my work place. Of course, IT here doesn't "support" personal devices so they don't have any tips for me.

BTW, this happens throughout the hospital. So it's not a location thing. Again, even if it was. At the same time that I can't get to a webpage, the speed tests still shows 20Mbps up and down!

I've had no issues with the V20's WiFi at any other locations, such as at home.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions, Mac.

However, I am not exactly sure what you are getting at. Like I said earlier, I have had no problems simultaneously using my Nexus 6P or my iPhone SE or my iPad on the same network. Literally, side-by-side, at the same time.

The V20's is always connected to the WiFi signal and shows high internet speed using a speed test utility. The problem is actually using ANY internet app. Whether that is Chrome, Whatsapp, Google Hangout, Twitter, etc. Sometimes, I get something but most of the time, even a simple Whatsapp text message shows "sending" for up to a minute before it is sent. Trying to load a website could take a minute but maybe it doesn't load at all. To me, it says something about how the V20 is interacting with the Wifi network at my work place. Of course, IT here doesn't "support" personal devices so they don't have any tips for me.

BTW, this happens throughout the hospital. So it's not a location thing. Again, even if it was. At the same time that I can't get to a webpage, the speed tests still shows 20Mbps up and down!

I've had no issues with the V20's WiFi at any other locations, such as at home.

My bad....

Clear the cache on it and try it if it continues do a factory reset and if the problem still continues with your repaired phone then it is a phone issue.

My v10 did this all the time (AT&T varient) and I was locked out of being able to clear the cache and had to continually fdr it... I wound up getting a 6p then switched to Sprint and then the v20.. They haven't locked it out yet..

I feel your pain in this..

Mac

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,
I too work in a very large hospital and have a V20. We have several wifi networks in my facility one of which is dedicated to the "public" and the other to the physicians. The public network is crap and does not hand off well when switching from node to node, and is likely very congested. I can, however, connect to it quite easily.

The physician network is locked down very tight but works quite well for me. Handoffs are seamless and speed is acceptable. No major issues with my V20.

BOTH networks are heavily content filtered tho, which prevents a lot of sites from loading, primarily social media and music streaming.

One suggestion, TURN OFF WiFi calling. For me, it significantly degraded my call quality, but I'm suspicious that it may affect more than just that. Give it a try and see if it makes a difference. You can always turn it back on.

David

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,
I too work in a very large hospital and have a V20. We have several wifi networks in my facility one of which is dedicated to the "public" and the other to the physicians. The public network is crap and does not hand off well when switching from node to node, and is likely very congested. I can, however, connect to it quite easily.

The physician network is locked down very tight but works quite well for me. Handoffs are seamless and speed is acceptable. No major issues with my V20.

BOTH networks are heavily content filtered tho, which prevents a lot of sites from loading, primarily social media and music streaming.

One suggestion, TURN OFF WiFi calling. For me, it significantly degraded my call quality, but I'm suspicious that it may affect more than just that. Give it a try and see if it makes a difference. You can always turn it back on.

David

I'm glad it works for you, however WiFi calling does not cause a problem for me. I normally do turn on wifi at all if I don't need it so maybe that helps me out.

Last edited:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The thing that kills WiFi calling quality is usually not net speed (you really don't need a lot of bandwidth to carry codec-compressed voice - a consistent 128K symmetric connection can do okay), but latency (lag) and jitter (consistency of lag).

When the sounds are turned into data packets, they all need to arrive on the other side quickly (low latency) or you get delays in your call, and they all need to arrive at about the same time (low jitter) or the codec will stop waiting and say "what I have is good enough, assemble this into a sound and render it" - and if a lot of packets are still enroute it can truly sound TERRIBLE.

It's not uncommon on a public WiFi for me to know I got a call from someone, but be unable to effectively answer it. But at least I can dash to somewhere there is actual cell signal, turn off WiFi, and call them back.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The thing that kills WiFi calling quality is usually not net speed (you really don't need a lot of bandwidth to carry codec-compressed voice - a consistent 128K symmetric connection can do okay), but latency (lag) and jitter (consistency of lag).

When the sounds are turned into data packets, they all need to arrive on the other side quickly (low latency) or you get delays in your call, and they all need to arrive at about the same time (low jitter) or the codec will stop waiting and say "what I have is good enough, assemble this into a sound and render it" - and if a lot of packets are still enroute it can truly sound TERRIBLE.

It's not uncommon on a public WiFi for me to know I got a call from someone, but be unable to effectively answer it. But at least I can dash to somewhere there is actual cell signal, turn off WiFi, and call them back.

Public WiFi has too many variables to be consistently good

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Public WiFi has too many variables to be consistently good

Yup. My phone only drops to it when there is 0% signal, though, so at least I'm informed that someone is trying to call me. When I'm on call for work, that can be the difference between "hey, let's go out to dinner at our favorite place" and "nope, gotta pick a place with cell signal, sorry" LOL

websiteperson

Dec 15, 2017
Visit site
Hate to necro this thread, but I've been having WiFi issues (pages not loading half the time, have to turn WiFi off) since I got my v20 about 2 months ago.

After digging around the internet a bit, I found a possible solution.

Goto Settings > General (?) > Location.
Click 3 dots in upper right & click Scanning. Disable WiFi scanning.

I haven't tested it thoroughly, but I will probably forget to come back if it continues working as it should...

Anyway, best of luck!

bikemd

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Hate to necro this thread, but I've been having WiFi issues (pages not loading half the time, have to turn WiFi off) since I got my v20 about 2 months ago.

After digging around the internet a bit, I found a possible solution.

Goto Settings > General (?) > Location.
Click 3 dots in upper right & click Scanning. Disable WiFi scanning.

I haven't tested it thoroughly, but I will probably forget to come back if it continues working as it should...

Anyway, best of luck!

Thanks. I've given up on the LG V20. Sold it. I'm now on a Pixel 2 with absolutely no problems, using it in the some environment. No issues with the WiFi at work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lumen