Wifi network follows me everywhere

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi, for many years now, I have had wifi networks named Shelby and/or Shelby1 that are always in my wifi list no matter where I am. I was sort of hoping with a new phone, the network wouldn't be there anymore, but it is. They literally follow me, which makes me think it's coming from my phone somehow. It seems harmless, as I can just turn wifi off. I can't connect to them because they are passworded. I have done exhaustive searching and no one else seems to have this problem. I just want to know what they are. They're always listed under available networks. There aren't any under "saved."
I have no idea what would be broadcasting them. This has been going on at least 5 years and throughout many new phones. No matter where I am, they're in the "available" list. At home, at work, at the store, etc. I feel pretty certain that my phone is broadcasting them somehow. The network follows me everywhere I go, so it can't really be another device. I always have mobile hotspot turned off too. Thanks for any help

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Someone near you has a Hotspot or wifi named Shelby. You should be able to press Shelby, press the settings gear icon, then Forget.
Good luck

It sounds like it keeps showing up in the Available Networks -- not in the Saved Networks. The OP wouldn't be able to Forget the network if it's just constantly available around them.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
If not, I'd still check around where you live/work for similar public Wi-Fi offerings. Otherwise, I would suggest you drive out to the middle of nowhere, park and check your phone. If you still see it, take everything electronic out of your pockets and carry your phone a long way away from your vehicle and check again (especially if it has a Wi-Fi option and you bought it used). I don't see how this could be coming from your phone, so it has to be something external.

..and when you are out there in the boonies with nothing and no one else around you (strip naked if you have to), if it still shows up then also do a few hard power cycles, and then report back to us with what you observe/note.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali