Wondering if I should return my phone or not...

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm strongly considering returning my unopened Z Flip 3 to Best Buy for a full refund. I so badly want to use this phone, but I'm seeing way too many reports of screens cracking at the fold showing up, and as usual Samsung is screwing owners over by denying warranty claims.

Sammy also just recently published a video trying to demonstrate how rigorously they've tested the Fold 3 and Flip 3. Multiple websites were discussing the odd timing of the video, and how it felt more like damage control :eek:

I would really like this phone to last, since it's the most I've ever spent on one, but I'm really starting to think it's a bad investment :(

What's your experiences been like with this phone? Anyone have any time invested in the Flip line, good or bad?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm strongly considering returning my unopened Z Flip 3 to Best Buy for a full refund. I so badly want to use this phone, but I'm seeing way too many reports of screens cracking at the fold showing up, and as usual Samsung is screwing owners over by denying warranty claims.

Sammy also just recently published a video trying to demonstrate how rigorously they've tested the Fold 3 and Flip 3. Multiple websites were discussing the odd timing of the video, and how it felt more like damage control :eek:

I would really like this phone to last, since it's the most I've ever spent on one, but I'm really starting to think it's a bad investment :(

What's your experiences been like with this phone? Anyone have any time invested in the Flip line, good or bad?
So far it doesn't seem like a common problem. The fold 3 has had a few reported cracked screens also. I have the fold 3 and I'm keeping it. I'm going to stay on the ride for now. If they become common issues, I'll probably pay the $249 insurance deductible and keep chugging along

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I had the Flip 3 for about 5 weeks. I loved the folding form factor since I carry my phones in my shirt pocket. I sold the phone and I have to admit I'm feeling some remorse since going back to my 21 plus.

The battery size was the biggest issue for me but I did take notice if the screen cracking issue. No one knows if this is going to blow up into a widespread issue or not. Remember the 21 Ultra camera screen cracking that was a blip when they came out? Turns out that there were a few but it was not an extensive problem, it seems to have been limited to a few unlucky owners. I suspect the same thing with the Flip3.

I plan to take a hard look at the Flip next year and see if they've managed to improve battery life, and if so, will likely try it again.

I'm kind of surprised that I'm missing my Flip3 as much as I am. I very happy with my 21 plus but that folding phone was so nice.

hooligan03

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine since they first come out. I pre ordered. I've really haven't had any issues with it. It's been great. No issues with folding. I love the phone. I have no regrets at all and would purchase again.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback everyone... so far all positive, that's a good sign ;) Since this is a folding phone, I've seen lots of videos of owners whipping them open... maybe that's part of the problem. Looks fun, but maybe phone no likey? ;)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback everyone... so far all positive, that's a good sign ;) Since this is a folding phone, I've seen lots of videos of owners whipping them open... maybe that's part of the problem. Looks fun, but maybe phone no likey? ;)
I can see flipping the the Z flip like that but not the Fold

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have had my Z Flip 3 since it came out. I have had no problems with the screen or any other part of the phone. I love it. Sure some people have had some problems, but doesn't that happen with any phone? You tend to hear more about the "issues" than the good things in the forums. Do they happen? Yes, but I think for the most part in the relative scheme of things they are not widespread.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I have had my Z Flip 3 since it came out. I have had no problems with the screen or any other part of the phone. I love it. Sure some people have had some problems, but doesn't that happen with any phone? You tend to hear more about the "issues" than the good things in the forums. Do they happen? Yes, but I think for the most part in the relative scheme of things they are not widespread.

Thanks for the feedback, that's exactly what I was trying to figure out... whether I was worrying about it too much or not. I can be a worry wart sometimes... my wife will vouch for that :eek: ;)

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
LOL...had a dream last night that not only did my screen crack, but the entire top part of the phone calapsed , and the screen was hanging on by one corner.

I think that's going to be enough with reading through this thread lol

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
LOL...had a dream last night that not only did my screen crack, but the entire top part of the phone calapsed , and the screen was hanging on by one corner.

I think that's going to be enough with reading through this thread lol

Sorry about that... welcome to my world lol. On the bright side there hasn't been one negative experience reported here so far, so for me this thread has been pretty inspirational :p

Knightmayre90

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
Haven't had any issues here. I got my phone in late August having come from the Note 10 +. I have to say I genuinely love this phone. No issues with the screen at all. The form factor is just great, fits so nicely in my pocket. I don't think I'll be able to return to a slab style phone anytime soon. Battery life? I just turned off things that I didn't need running and it's not been a problem.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The form factor is just great, fits so nicely in my pocket. I don't think I'll be able to return to a slab style phone anytime soon.

Yep it has made it very difficult to go back. I love my regular pixel 6, but that phone doesn't perform the magic trick of folding in half and easily fitting into the palm of my hand and pocket. Just can't get over carrying a phone with a 6.7 inch screen that fold into the palm of my hand.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Yep it has made it very difficult to go back. I love my regular pixel 6, but that phone doesn't perform the magic trick of folding in half and easily fitting into the palm of my hand and pocket. Just can't get over carrying a phone with a 6.7 inch screen that fold into the palm of my hand.

Yeah, I don't see how going back to a large screen slab in the pocket will be possible after using this phone :eek: ;)

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site

Ive dropped my phone severely a few times and NO breakage. Rest assured Samsung has done immense R & D to increase the sturdiness with the 3rd generation.
I use the oem leather case and protected the phone from the drops, zero damage, just a bit of road rash on the corners of the case.
No issues whatsoever,in fact,im amazed how sturdy the ZF3 is. Love the form factor xominf from a N2U.

Last edited: