Would like to use UDP in mifi or LTE router. Suggestions please.

redwood66

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I have 3 UDPs on our plan and would like to use one of them in a mifi or 4G LTE router so I can have internet at home without using the phone. I do pay the $30 hotspot fee for each and have talked to Verizon about transferring one of the lines to a new mifi I would purchase from them then add a dumb phone line for my husband. One rep said it could be done but the rest said I can't do it because the line is meant for a phone.

I have read here that people have swapped their sim into a mifi or router without going through Verizon but then I would need to forward the # to a prepaid yes? Could I then cancel the $30 hotspot on that line?

Basically I am trying to find the cheapest way to do this as we all work different schedules so would like constant wifi available for our devices. Our bill is $400 a month for 4 lines and only one is not UDP. Data usage is about 200 GB per month. We have no DSL or cable internet available.

If anyone has any other suggestions or best way to do this please post! Thanks!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
re:

Set up call forwarding first, then disable the mobile hotspot addon. Then pop the sim into a mifi, tablet, broadband router, or whatever device you want, provided that it is compatible with Verizon's network

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
re:

You can just put the sim in one, not clear on how call forwarding would work, I'd think you'd end up just not using that phone number. I don't think you would need to keep paying the hotspot cost as you're not tethering but will defer to someone who knows more on that point. Either way I know that people put Sims in mifi devices and just dont use that number for calls and as far as I know it's totally fine with Verizon.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
re:

You can just put the sim in one, not clear on how call forwarding would work, I'd think you'd end up just not using that phone number. I don't think you would need to keep paying the hotspot cost as you're not tethering but will defer to someone who knows more on that point. Either way I know that people put Sims in mifi devices and just dont use that number for calls and as far as I know it's totally fine with Verizon.

It works without paying for the hotspot addon, no device hack or third party app required on mifi or whatever. Verizon has a broadband router with voice (Novatel t1114) which has wifi and ethernet ports as well as a phone jack... You can use that for home Internet and voice calling from your Verizon number.

There are a number of other devices that you can use but Afaik, the t1114 is the only one with voice, wifi and ethernet ports

redwood66

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
re:

Thanks guys! I would have to buy the mifi or router online somewhere. This line is out of contract but we have always paid the hotspot fee just to keep on the up and up.

dpham is there a benefit to using that router instead of say the newer jetpack ac791L? It seems to have the fastest speeds available.

redwood66

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
re:

So I chatted online with a VZW rep and I can just buy the jetpack at retail from them and then cancel the plan with CS when I get it. The jetpack has to take a 3FF sim because that is what I have. This should not cause me any problems right? This jetpack is expensive to buy on ebay etc so I might as well get it from VZW.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Thanks guys! I would have to buy the mifi or router online somewhere. This line is out of contract but we have always paid the hotspot fee just to keep on the up and up.

dpham is there a benefit to using that router instead of say the newer jetpack ac791L? It seems to have the fastest speeds available.

I have the ac791l and stopped using it because it was too flaky. Though some people had good luck with it. The ac791l is better featured though

redwood66

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Re:

I have the ac791l and stopped using it because it was too flaky.

Really? I don't want to pay big $ for something that will be worse than the phone. Hubby's phone is a Samsung S4 Mini and is pretty slow for his gaming. My LG V10 is faster. The S5 is faster too. Want to send me the AC791L and I will try it out for you? LOL. I am thinking the best thing to do is to add a dumb phone line on our account for him and forward his calls from the other number. This should all work in theory right?

Here is the excerpt from VZWs FAQs:

Can I use my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE SIM in more than one device?
Yes, the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE SIM card contains all of your subscriber information, so the SIM card is portable and can be used in any Verizon Wireless-certified 4G LTE device. All usage will be billed to the account associated with the 4G LTE SIM card.

Can I use my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE SIM card in a 4G LTE device not purchased from Verizon Wireless?
Yes, you can use your Verizon Wireless 4G LTE SIM card in any device, as long as it is a Verizon Wireless-certified 4G LTE device. Visit /b2c/nso/enterDeviceId.do?&zipRdr=y to find out if your device is compatible with your SIM card and to explore eligible price plans. Once you've activated your SIM card on an eligible plan, you'll need to insert it in your device.

If you're not sure how to insert a SIM card into your device, you can refer to your device's User Guide or one of our simulators. Select your device from our Simulator Index page, and then select the "Inserting the SIM Card" simulation.

Note: Your SIM card may already be activated. If you removed it from another active device and didn't deactivate it, then it's still active. All you need to do is insert it in your new device.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can forward the number to any phone, including one on your line. Keep in mind only calls are forwarded, texts are not

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Set up call forwarding first, then disable the mobile hotspot addon. Then pop the sim into a mifi, tablet, broadband router, or whatever device you want, provided that it is compatible with Verizon's network

How is this allowed but talking about tethering via the phone is not. It's the same thing

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re:

How is this allowed but talking about tethering via the phone is not. It's the same thing

Posted via the Android Central App
if the stock hotspot app works like on the mxpe and 6p,then that is fine to discuss.

The issue here is modifying the device which is against Verizon's customer agreement. While we do not enforce this usually in terms of root of whatever, we draw the line at modifying devices for financial gain,as with using third party apps to bypass carrier hotspot restrictions. Note that third party apps for things other than bypassing carrier hotspot restrictions is allowed.

With regards to using mifi or others, Verizon explicitly allows moving the Verizon 4GLTE sim in any Verizon certified device. No modification is required to get the mifi to work with unlimited data once the 4GLTE sim is placed into such a device, hence we allow discussing about it.

Kyprain

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

redwood66

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
So that router seems like a good one after reading about it. I could not find anywhere what size sim it takes? The sim I have is a micro.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mod Note - I have cleaned a few posts. We aren't going to debate what is/isn't allowed to be talked about in the forums within this thread. If you have a concern please send a PM to either me or dpham. We can then discuss the issue there. No reason to derail the thread.

Thanks.

redwood66

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Thank you all so much for your help. I ended up buying a Mifi 6620L from ebay for $55 because I don't want to invest $300 if this is not going to work out for me.

After researching prepaids, it seems because of my Nationwide plan it would be cheaper just to add a $9.99 line basic phone from ebay like the DuraXV to my plan. We have 700 mins and don't ever use more than 200 in a month with the 4 phones. Would this cause a problem to forward the one line to another line on the plan? Any red flags? Sorry for so many dumb questions but I want this to work without doing something that would cause me to lose my ULD. Would dropping the hotspot fee for both lines be an issue? Or should I just drop the one? Or none? I know people use the FoxFi and other apps but that is not something I want to do really. I cannot lose the ULD or I am up sh*t creek with no internet.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Drop mhs, add a basic phone line. If you ever need to call in, I would advise you to put a smartphone on the line first

redwood66

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
EEKS! Trying out the MiFi with my V10's card. Super fast compared to what I was getting! Will have to get the other phone situation squared away so I can use this all the time! Been getting 10-14mbps with the hotspot on V10. Thanks all for your help!

5362058757.png