Your free Gear VR, what are YOU playing?

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
So I got my gear vr bundle a couple days ago and have been having a blast with it. WAY more fun then I ever had with my overheating LG G4 and google cardboard.

I've been enjoying Esper 2 as my puzzle game (total Portal vibes, too), and Bait! as a relaxing game with not to many controls. One I discovered tonight was InCell which is an amazing game, the controls are very smooth and well done, a great way to do a racer.

I hope to check out eve: gunjack, need a good shooter for the controller. Drop dead would have been great but the reload mechanism totally breaks the game for me, its a mini trigger game but because of its close distance I need a second to refocus on it which totally kills the timing.

hydrofarmer

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I like bait as well. I also like watching movies on the "big screen" theater. Puts my 47 inch tv to shame lol. Still trying to find that one game that grabs me though. I will try esper.

physicsguy

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm playing nothing. My daughter monopolizes it and plays Drift and Minecraft all the time. Waiting for MY turn... on MY Gear VR.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Wow..so I was trying all the video players only to find that none of them support networking what so ever. Moon supports airplay and maybe I can do that on my PC with a 3rd party app but my files are on a network drive.

So anyways, I found some impressive stuff. First is samsungs own Video app. This thing put you by default into a theater, but you also have a home theater (as well as a couple of fun scenes and all black). Let me tell you..the ambiance of this program is AMAZING. The scenes are well detailed if not photo realistic (I thought it was a photo sphere, but the home theater showed its polyness close up on the seats) but the ambient shader lighting from the video on the screen reflecting off the scene gives you an atmosphere like no other. You felt like you were in an empty theater. The audio doesn't let down either, as you turn your head around you will note the sound is coming from the front of the room like a real theater. 5.1 surround sound may be to much to ask though, even though there are obviously speakers rendered in the back wall. :)

Unfortunately where the video app lacks is 4k support, at the same time I was testing out some 4k 3d files I put together from youtube rips. The Video app does some serious downscaling. So for these files I turned back to Moon player. Moon took them quite well but I have to say, the 4k resolution doesn't help. I mainly did the 4k 3d files because youtubes 1080p compression rate is pretty horrible for SBS 3d, and indeed the videos were pretty artifact free, but pretty much the same amount of a detail that a CLEAN 1080p SBS 3d would show up as. In the end though as you might expect, 3d movies through the gear VR is for experience only and lacks much of the detail than a straight 2d watch.

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Dropdead, endspace, daedalus.

Once I get my Bluetooth controller, I'll buy alot more titles. Can't wait to play dreadhalls.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I haven't played any games so far. I've used it solely for media consumption. I recently found the Samsung PhoneCast VR Beta, which allowed me to watch movies and tv shows on Kodi.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
So been spending some more time on my VR. Adding a game pad for End space and InCell made them even more amazing. The separation of the vehicle controls and your vision really puts in another place. I also tried AltSpace VR against my better judgment and it was pretty fun. It is easy to get into and it was actually refreshing when you don't need to mess with mic settings, it just works. Of course there arnt a whole lot of people in it but the drawing room is one hell of an ice breaker. (Now if only I could properly breath through my nose when wearing the vr goggles.)

Daedalus is also another game I picked up, very nice looking and great controls for the gear vr controller. Saddly not much in the way of new gameplay mechanics introduced later on. But a great one for those amateur gamers.

Saddly I think I have pretty much gone through the entirety of the gear vr library and found what I liked.. but sadly no true racing game, we need a NFS! -_- Or wipeout!

Whiskey619

May 14, 2017
Visit site
I'm playing nothing. My daughter monopolizes it and plays Drift and Minecraft all the time. Waiting for MY turn... on MY Gear VR.
makes me glad I can tell my kids they can't use it because they're too young. "Sorry, if it was up to me you could try it, but the instructions say..."