Zenwatch 2 stopping connecting (properly)

AndroidPeteC

Oct 26, 2019
Visit site
I've an Archos Diamond Alpha (a rebadged Nubia NX569J), running Android 6.0.1 and Zenwatch 2.

Just recently the watch and phone no longer work together properly (e.g. notifications such as e-mail do not appear on the watch). The phone's bluetooth indicates that it is connected to the watch but Wear OS app says it is trying to connect and the watch says its disconnected under Bluetooth.

I don't wear the watch daily, but the last few times I have worn the watch I've had this issue, so don't know exactly at which point it failed (I just know roughly that it worked in August, but not in now and probably not at some point in September). I have tried variously turning Bluetooth off and on, rebooting both watch and phone, without resolution.

Looking at the version on the watch, it is running Android Wear 2.28.0.270002478. According to Wikipedia, this version was launched in September, so right now I am wondering whether there is something incompatible between the latest wear OS and this watch (or watch and phone combination). The time frame certainly fits with the update.

Within this time frame, the watch and phone also often (but not always) give me a new pairing code when they are reconnected, which never used to happen.

I haven't yet totally reset the watch and allowed it to resync, but it will inevitably download the latest software version again.

1. Has anyone else experienced this issue and resolved it?
2. Is there a way to get a specific version of the android wear os onto the phone - looking at Wikipedia 2.25 or 2.26 would be fine as it was working then?

Right now the watch is not useful as a smartwatch :(

If I do a Bluetooth scan the watch detects other devices (although not the phone - maybe because it is already paired with that) and the phone connects with bluetooth to other devices.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't tell you why it's not working (assuming that you haven't already removed the watch from the phone and the phone from the watch and paired them again), but I can answer a few of your questions:

I haven't yet totally reset the watch and allowed it to resync, but it will inevitably download the latest software version again.
A factory reset won't reset the version of the OS - so you'll clear out all your information and setup, but still have your current version.

Is there a way to get a specific version of the android wear os onto the phone - looking at Wikipedia 2.25 or 2.26 would be fine as it was working then?
Only by manually flashing the older version (which will do a full factory reset).

You can try https://asteroidos.org/install/sparrow/ (You'll need a PC or laptop - Linux, Mac or Windows.)

(Where they refer to the path to the ROM you're flashing, if you're in a Windows cmd window, you can just find the file in an Explorer window and drag it to the cmd window. That puts the file location and name on the command line.)

Or have a look around https://forum.xda-developers.com/smartwatch/zenwatch-2

If I do a Bluetooth scan the watch detects other devices (although not the phone - maybe because it is already paired with that) and the phone connects with bluetooth to other devices.
Which is completely normal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174