Hello, World!

dsfarag

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey folks, I am looking to root my TB I just purchased, by the way, LTE is BLLLAAAZZING! I'd appreciate some recommendations for the proper ROM:

I'd like the following- removal of bloatware.
- better battery life.
-clocked processor (will this impede on battery life?)

Thanks everyone!

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
My favorite is bamf 3.0 rc 4.9 but there are many other great Roms out there you picked the right phone to get the best developers. There is a sticky in this thread on updating to a Gingebread Rom once your rooted. If you have any question just let us know.

Jux

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
One of the more important questions you can ask yourself is if you want to stick with Sense as it appears now (plus goodies from Sense 3.0) or do you want something that's more along the lines of a stock Android experience?

I started out with the BAMF ROM recommended by mclarryjr, and I really liked it. Battery life was a little better than stock, not stellar, but the Sense 3.0 eye candy was really nice. Just recently, I switched to Liquid ThunderBread 2.4, which is an AOSP ROM. It's battery life appears to be better than BAMF, but again it has a lot less eye candy it's running in the background. On both ROM's I have the option to Overclock as I see fit.

The good news is that once you root, it's pretty easy to start changing ROMs and trying out different things to find out what will work best for you.

Jux

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Jux,

Ultimately, I would like a combination of eye candy and performance with performance being priority.

In terms of ultimately meaningless numbers, between BAMF and Liquid Thundebread, LTB has given me higher Quadrant scores at a 1.4 Ghz overclock (approx. 3000 vs 2200) but in daily use both seemed to be very snappy and slick. LTB seems to have the edge in battery life, but today is my second day on the ROM and I can't speak to that (the release thread has a lot of people claiming huge increases in battery).

That said, there are also a ton of ROM's out there I haven't even had a chance to try yet.

Jux

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
That being said, what kinds of interface features have you gained or lost with LTB?

I've lost all of the Sense interface. Although Sense is integrated deeper than just the lock screen and the iconic Time/Weather widget, those are the ones I really miss - I'm still looking for the best replacement for the Time/Weather widget. I did like the quick unlock of BAMF - it had the Sense 3.0 elements from the HTC Sensation, including the lock ring and the ability to quick launch programs directly from the lock screen by dragging the icon into the ring (again, something that I'm looking for a replacement for). The animated weather was easy on the eyes as well. LTB is pretty much stock appearance, with a few different launchers available by default, but depending on which apps/widgets you want to download and add in, it can be customized for just about anything.

dsfarag

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I must say that the stock sense UI in terms of weather is super nice. It's a big plus for me, but not a deal breaker. Having a faster phone, as far as hardware goes and less crap is something I desire.

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I must say that the stock sense UI in terms of weather is super nice. It's a big plus for me, but not a deal breaker. Having a faster phone, as far as hardware goes and less crap is something I desire.
Something similar you can use is called Fancy Widget or beautiful widget from the app market, they both cost a few bucks but mimic sense clock and weather.

dsfarag

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Something similar you can use is called Fancy Widget or beautiful widget from the app market, they both cost a few bucks but mimic sense clock and weather.

Just looked up both and beautiful widget is pretty cool. I'm just tired of looking in my log of running apps and seeing so much junk. I really wouldn't mind keeping the phone looking like it's a stock Froyo 2.2.1, yet getting rid of all the bloatware.

Jux

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Just looked up both and beautiful widget is pretty cool. I'm just tired of looking in my log of running apps and seeing so much junk. I really wouldn't mind keeping the phone looking like it's a stock Froyo 2.2.1, yet getting rid of all the bloatware.

Some people root simply to get rid of the bloatware, and then don't do anything else to it. Any ROM that you install will be bloatware free, or you could leave it stock Froyo and remove it yourself. It is nice to be able to look at a task manager and see only stuff you're actually using heh.

dsfarag

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Some people root simply to get rid of the bloatware, and then don't do anything else to it. Any ROM that you install will be bloatware free, or you could leave it stock Froyo and remove it yourself. It is nice to be able to look at a task manager and see only stuff you're actually using heh.

Hmmm....so I can get rid of the bloat ware without rooting it? Teach me Mr. Miagi, Daniel son is eager to learn the way of the root. :p

Jux

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm....so I can get rid of the bloat ware without rooting it? Teach me Mr. Miagi, Daniel son is eager to learn the way of the root. :p

Let me clarify ... you still need to root, but some people root just to get rid of the Bloatware. Once you root your phone, you don't NEED to put a different ROM on (it's just one of the main reasons to root). You can run the same system that came stock on your phone from Verizon, but once rooted, you could remove all of Verizon's bloat programs and leave the rest of it as-is.

Here's a helpful guide:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/th...afe-remove-once-rooted-how-put-them-back.html

Originally, I was going to root just to get rid of Bloatware and "keep my options open" - I'm a former iPhone user and I wanted the equivalent of a jailbreak for my phone, even if I wasn't going to do much with it (control issues, I suppose). But once I did that and got rid of the Bloatware, I realized it was pretty easy to install different ROMs that were already stripped down and optimized in different areas.