easy to unroot?

cheeta186

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I think I am gonna bite the bullet and root. But if I decide it was not worth it, how easy is it to unroot my thunderbolt and get back to stock?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Read any STICKY Root thread!!! They explain how to root and how to unroot... you should read the entire process before attempting to root your phone.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
But I thought the process changed since the new gb "official" update?

Are you talking about the GB leak... because there is no Official update yet... but I would not know if there was a change to the procedure... but I think my statement still stands... "you should read the entire process before attempting to root your phone."

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
There shouldn't be a problem unrooting with the new leak since all it does is downgrade the radio. The whole reason we can even root is because the devs figured out that if we use the unreleased radio that was being used for testing before the phone was released, then we would be able to gain access.

The problem we have is coming up with a root method that works with the new updates but as long as we have the option to downgrade the radio we should always be able to root the phone. You would just have to then count on the devs to release updated versions of Verizons OTAs that work with root access.. which so far doesn't seem to be an issue.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
There shouldn't be a problem unrooting with the new leak since all it does is downgrade the radio. The whole reason we can even root is because the devs figured out that if we use the unreleased radio that was being used for testing before the phone was released, then we would be able to gain access.

The problem we have is coming up with a root method that works with the new updates but as long as we have the option to downgrade the radio we should always be able to root the phone. You would just have to then count on the devs to release updated versions of Verizons OTAs that work with root access.. which so far doesn't seem to be an issue.

But as long as we can unroot we can always return to stock should an ota not be released by developers for superusers - right?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
But as long as we can unroot we can always return to stock should an ota not be released by developers for superusers - right?

LMOA... "an ota not be released by developers for superusers"... sorry, but this just doesn't matter to the great programmers on XDA and RootzWiki... they will breakdown and tear apart any OTA and make it accessible to the rest of us... just like the last Official Radio OTA it only took maybe a full day.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to remember.. do we have a way to downgrade the radio without root? If so then we're fine.. if not, any future upgrades without already being rooted would cause a problem. If I remember correctly we do.. I think I remember reading that we can root the new leaked GB update. Either way, the devs always figure something out.. so I wouldn't worry about anything.

Edit: nevermind.. I just remembered.. the mr1 ruu works for rooted and non rooted :)

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
LMOA... "an ota not be released by developers for superusers"... sorry, but this just doesn't matter to the great programmers on XDA and RootzWiki... they will breakdown and tear apart any OTA and make it accessible to the rest of us... just like the last Official Radio OTA it only took maybe a full day.

They will now because tb is still a hot phone. How about a year from now? Are they still cracking droid 1 update code?