Stopping Verizon OTAs

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
There's been a lot of talk about how to stop the Verizon OTAs. As of now you would have to flash a custom ROM to stop them.... but what if you want to stay on stock?

I pulled this from Android Forums in the Samsung Charge thread.

WARNING: Do not do this to your Thunderbolt.. its for the Samsung Charge.
Depend on what Rom you are running? I am running FRG22 and this worked:

Try this (credit to girlluvsdroid and sinfuldragon) it worked for me:

Originally Posted by SinfulDragon quoted from GirLuvsDroid

Hopefully,you haveRootExplorer(and if you don't, I highly recommend it because it's so worth the couple of bucks). Here are the instructions to prevent to the FRG22D OTA update (which I was getting yesterday myself):

1. In Root Explorer, go to /system/
2. Tap Mount R/W at the top, then long-press on build.prop and scroll down to Open in Text Editor
3. Once the file is open as a text file,scroll down until you seethe line that says: "ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG01B/45394:user/release-keys" and change it to read as follows: ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG22D/50454:user/release-keys
4. Tap the back key and say "Yes" when it asks you to save (it will automaticallybackup theoriginal fileforyou)
5. Tap Mount R/O at the top
6. Reboot

You will no longer get the OTA update notifications, because Verizon will believe you already have it. That didn't work for me until I changed the line above it that says "description" to match, now there's no more update. Thanks!

I'm running a custom ROM so I can't see what the Thunderbolts line of text is suppose to read. I figured if someone thats running stock can copy and paste what the Thunderbolts line of text reads, that maybe we can figure out a way to edit the text so that this method would work with the Thunderbolt.

So if anyone is running on stock.. can you go into the build.prop and copy and paste the line of text to this thread.. the same way as described above.

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My phone won't turn back on!!!!!

WHAT HAPPENED TO MY PHONE?!?!?!?!

Can I just do a battery pull and be ok?

Why did it turn of??? If you were doing a flash I would wait. Pulling the battery during a flash will more than likely brick it. If you weren't flashing you might also want to pull SD and SIM. I'm not sure what caused your issue right now, but pulling all three MIGHT help clear it....

I keed.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
^^ Was just getting ready to post that here ... Thanks...^^ It seems we have an easier way.

[INFO]
Ok, first thing you need to do is to turn off OTA updates. I'm typing this from memory so I may have the folder off, if so, let me know and I'll get the right one. You need to have Root Explorer on your phone and using RE you go to system/etc/security and look for the file otacerts.zip and rename it to otacerts.zip.bak and you will not have to worry about the automatic updates anymore.

If you decide to go to one of the devs custom roms, those almost always have the ota updates shut off.
[/INFO]

kattolo

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if it might be useful anymore but here is the ro.build.fingerprint of a MR1 stock (1.13.605.7)
Code:
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon_wwe/htc_mecha/mecha/mecha:2.2.1/FRG83D/341545:user/release-keys

I just renamed otacers.zip so Is hould be safe for now, but I wouldn't mind learning a little more about the build.prop file :)

kurbski

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I have an HTC tb,used re to change the otacerts.zip file name and am still getting firmware updates from Verizon. I called Verizon,they said its Google trying to update w gingerbread and not Verizon's problem. Any suggestions to stop the firmware updates. Appreciate any info and thanks foe maintaining this thread.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38