Favorite Radio?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Now that the official GB OTA is published and has the same radios as the most recent leaked GB (i.e. the .3 version), is there any consensus on rooted phones what radio is best? I guess there were three total radios with the leaked GBs? Could be wrong.

In any case, do most people feel that the next to last GB leak had the "best" radios?

Radio performance (no total loss of data) would be about the only reason I might decide to root. I'm not so concerned about not having as much 4G, or being stuck on 3G. Hell, I'd even take 1x. What I want is to avoid the total loss of a data connection. I mean, geeze, there's bound to be at least 1x available. Why does data go away completely?

-Frank

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I reverted back to the 2.11.605.0 radios. They seem to give me a more consistent signal than the latest ones. But as you know, signal quality can vary greatly from user to user. That's what great about being rooted, you can experiment with all sorts of different cdma/lte combinations to find what works best for you.

Oh Frank, you know you want to join us renegades. We have all the fun!

Reactions: FrankXS

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I reverted back to the 2.11.605.0 radios. They seem to give me a more consistent signal than the latest ones. But as you know, signal quality can vary greatly from user to user. That's what great about being rooted, you can experiment with all sorts of different cdma/lte combinations to find what works best for you.

Oh Frank, you know you want to join us renegades. We have all the fun!
Thanks. Yeah, I imagine rooting is my destiny. I'm just old enough that simply being cool isn't enough for me anymore :) I need a reason.

It's starting to look like I like the radios from the the MR2 build better than what was pushed out via the GB OTA. However, I was pretty sure one or two of the leaked GB radios were getting good press. Still evaluating. If anything will win me over it will be better radios.

-Frank

juicem2

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm not rooted......yet. But what I can say is with the update before gingerbread I guess that would be the MR2 update I was always dropping data. Especially in 4G areas. Now that I have the gingerbread update my data drops have stopped completely. I would love to root but I was hoping unrevoked would come out with a one click. I am a little skeptical using the current methods due to my lack of knowledge. I have rooted evos, incredibles, droids, droid2, and the droid x but I never had to use all the commands and it seems a bit confusing to me.
update: just saw the you tube video using revolutionary to unlock s and than root. Wish me luck going to give it a shot!

Last edited:

soundgard

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
nate44 said it best: signal quality can vary greatly from user to user.

that said, i've had a good experience with both 605.0 and 605.3 radios. i believe one of these should work well for almost everyone.

side note, running bamf forever 1.0.6 and happier than ever!

spartanguy81

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

that said, i've had a good experience with both 605.0 and 605.3 radios. i believe one of these should work well for almost everyone.

side note, running bamf forever 1.0.6 and happier than ever!

different radios work better/worse for different people and different locations....

that being said, i just today downgraded from the .3 radios to the .0 radios and at least at home i have better signal strength and speed.

PapaSmurf6768

Themer
Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Tried the mr3, and while data and voice was good, my battery was going at 15% an hour on the stock battery. My favorite has been the one cm the 2.11.605.0 leak.

Sent via Tapatalk on my TBolt

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Now that the official GB OTA is published and has the same radios as the most recent leaked GB (i.e. the .3 version), is there any consensus on rooted phones what radio is best? I guess there were three total radios with the leaked GBs? Could be wrong.

In any case, do most people feel that the next to last GB leak had the "best" radios?

Radio performance (no total loss of data) would be about the only reason I might decide to root. I'm not so concerned about not having as much 4G, or being stuck on 3G. Hell, I'd even take 1x. What I want is to avoid the total loss of a data connection. I mean, geeze, there's bound to be at least 1x available. Why does data go away completely?

-Frank

From what I've read no rom is free of data loss. Something wrong with lte. It's why apple won't use it

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

After evaluating the .3 radios since the official GB release (stock OTA), I now think these are the best radios yet, for me. Not perfect. But I'm keeping a data connection better than previous radios. I guess I'll keep 'em. :)

-Frank

spartanguy81

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
After evaluating the .3 radios since the official GB release (stock OTA), I now think these are the best radios yet, for me. Not perfect. But I'm keeping a data connection better than previous radios. I guess I'll keep 'em. :)

-Frank

You can also mix and match cdma and lte radios. I have not personally tried it, but should some desperation arise it's something you could look into. I thought adrynalyne had a radio thread that had miss matched radio combinations that people had reported success with, but that might be at the bamf forums or I might have dreamed it.

Ed Witles

May 4, 2011
Visit site
First I thought it was like the fun days of April/May when there were LTE outages and recourse was the CDMA only option.

Could it be that VZW LTE (4G) is simply not ready for prime time still?

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I just cant wait for the leaves to fall so the LTE signal goes further and I can get out of the 4G fringe area!!

Chingy's radio file worked good for me as well as the latest 906w_1 and 906w_2 radios

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can also mix and match cdma and lte radios. I have not personally tried it, but should some desperation arise it's something you could look into. I thought adrynalyne had a radio thread that had miss matched radio combinations that people had reported success with, but that might be at the bamf forums or I might have dreamed it.

this thread has the radios broken up into cdma and lte as well:

[RADIO] HTC Thunderbolt Radios [PG05IMG.zip] (Updated: 24 Sept 2011) - xda-developers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL