What do YOU do with your rooted TB?

anon(255332)

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
It seems the top 3 things people do with their Rooted phone are:
1) remove bloatware 2) backup stuff 3) flash custom ROMs

Other than those 3, what else do you do with your rooted device?
What apps do you use? What new tasks can you now accomplish? :)

-Tm

stratejaket

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
What ever I want. It makes it officially our phone under our total control! Always hated getting the bloat / advertisement apps on my phones. If they gave me the phone for free they are more than welcome to add whatever they want. Since we buy them, they should come only with system required software IMO.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
With loading custom ROMs there is NO reason to even mention removing bloatware, since there is no bloatware on custom ROMs... and backing up data from apps is just part of flashing a different ROM.

It's called FREEDOM!!!!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
[Soapbox on]
I rooted for the most mundane of reasons - I HATE the new Android Market: I have no interest in their movies (sorry, I'm not wasting my time watching movies on this tiny screen) and books (I already have a Nook and a Kindle, along with both apps on my phone - I don't need ANOTHER one), the comments/reviews being in anything but date order, etc. So, I rooted and figured out how to keep the last version of the Market before all of the changes. It's been an interesting learning experience, but I would still be running stock if Google allowed the Market to be customized to MY preferences instead of theirs - after all, as a previous poster noted, it isn't like it was free - I had to pay for it.
[Soapbox off]

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Free Wireless Tether... Remove any unwanted system files/apps/bloat... Custom ROMs/Kernels/Mods... Overclock/Underclock/Undervolt the CPU.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Avoid tunewiki updating itself twice a day....especially since I don't even know (nor care to know) what tunewiki does.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Total Customizations, screen captures, Disable Bloware and full integrated call blocking *Best Call Blocker apps require root..

Oh yeah overclocking is nice... Because I can :D

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
most important: backup apps and rom and also text messages and call logs (but I think there are apps that don't need root to do this), remove apps that can be dangerous (ie htclogger.apk that was found to be logging info about you insecurely)

nice to have: debloat stock rom or flash cutoms roms, customize the look of the ROM through themes, have things that stock users don't have like sense 3.0, add custom ringtones w/o 3rd party apps, overclocking & undervolting to save battery, wireless tether

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I do it for bragging rights. I look at my friends and say

Me: "Loaded a new ROM".
Them: "What does that do?".
Me: "Gets rid of bloatware"
Them: "What's that?".
Me: "If you have to ask, then it doesn't bother you"

I show my daughter my ThunderBolt (she has one also), I tell her "Look, isn't this cool?"....her response (sarcastically) "Wow Dad, I bet you feel special don't you".....LOLOLOLOL.