Ringtones messed up?

joe_5962

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Rooted using BAMF 109 everything seems ok running wise. But noticed when wife calls I get her personal ring tone I've selected for her then there are times I get something totally different? And not just her's either my son's and my daughter's ringtones are also messed up at times? Anyone else have or having these issues with BAMF 109?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Where are your Ringtones??? Your SD Card??? Are they custom ringtones are part of the ROM??? More information is good.

Slapnpop826

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I have always had issues with inconsistent ringtones since I purchased the phone. The correct ringtone seems to play when the phone is not locked. When it's locked it plays the default ringtone.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I can see we are not going to get any answer to my questions from the OP (Original Poster)... the only time I've heard of issues is with custom ringtones loaded on the SD card when your device is plugged into a PC... one of main reasons I load my custom ringtones on my device and change permissions... if this is the case with the OP I can explain how to do this.

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not the OP but here goes. I have my ringtones loaded on the SD card and it seems that they are one behind. Meaning if GF calls it may or may not be her tone (usually it is) then Mom calls and it plays GF's tone the next caller plays Mom's tone and so on. The last time my GF called then someone on a default tone called and GF's tone played. I had to explain to GF why someone else had her tone (the tone was Sexy MF by Pamela Williams) I've wondered if moving these to the phone instead of the card would fix the problem. All of my ringtones are on the SD card even the default. I've tried to get people to log calls on their phones to see if an answer could be found. Never thought getting people together to solve a problem they are having would be such a pain. Anyway why would the tones be messed up like this if they are all in the same place? I think there was something different in the writing of the OTA and the base of the custom ROM's based off these GB leaks. I've noticed that more people that are not rooted have the problem after the OTA. I'm not sure if moving them to the same file as the stock tones will work. I think it's in the program it's self. But with that said I'll try to move them to the stock folder and see if it helps. With your instructions. A little 411 for you I'm running BAMF Forever 1.0.7 I loaded the ringtones to the SD card from the computer before installing them.(phone was not connected to computer) Audio file with Ringtones and Notifications contained within. If you need any other info just ask. Thanks for your help!

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
It seems that some folks have reported that if they re-assign the ringtones (post GB OTA) that they then play correctly. Much like, with Android, toggling certain settings on/off/on will return to normal operation. Just a thought.

-Frank

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
It seems that some folks have reported that if they re-assign the ringtones (post GB OTA) that they then play correctly. Much like, with Android, toggling certain settings on/off/on will return to normal operation. Just a thought.

-Frank

Thanks Frank but after installing the custom ROM I had to reset all the ringtones. I don't think that's the answer. Well for me anyway. Maybe it will help a non rooted person. I wish someone more savvy about the phone would look into this and see if there was a change in the writing from Froyo to GB. and come up with a fix to stop this problem.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
thanks fatboy97 what do you mean change permissions?

I move a copy of my ringtones I use from my SD card to my device using Root Explorer... after I move them to /system/media/audio/ringtones folder I long click and select Permissions, then change it to:

Owner: Read-On, Write-On, Execute-Off
Group: Read-On, Write-Off, Execute-Off
Others: Read-On, Write-Off, Execute-Off

Or rw-r--r--

Then I usually have to reboot my device once, then I can select those new ringtones.... I also use the same method to move some notification ringtones on to my device after I flash a new ROM... works for me.

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I started a thread in the main forum of a fix I found elsewhere. I posted it there because many are having the ringtone issue after the OTA. Being they are not rooted and have no access to doing it as described by fatboy97. I tried it and will report back if it works. If it doesn't I'll try your way fatboy97. Thanks!

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not too sure fatboy97's way will work either. I saw in my thread that someone reconfigured their tones to the stock ones and still has the problem. Unless changing the permissions has more to do with it than I think.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm not too sure fatboy97's way will work either. I saw in my thread that someone reconfigured their tones to the stock ones and still has the problem. Unless changing the permissions has more to do with it than I think.

It will not work unless you have changed the permissions to the files... otherwise your ROM can not read those file by simply moving them to the correct folder.

qcman29

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's the rom your using. I have an unrooted T-Bolt that the custom ringtones per contact are screwed up after the gingerbread update.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's the rom your using. I have an unrooted T-Bolt that the custom ringtones per contact are screwed up after the gingerbread update.

I guess you are entitled to your opinion... but I'm not having any issues with the custom ROM I'm using... and after all this is the Rooting, and ROM forum.

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
It will not work unless you have changed the permissions to the files... otherwise your ROM can not read those file by simply moving them to the correct folder.

The reason I said that is because another member used the stock ringtones and set them up for different people. After doing this he still had the problems of the assigned ringtones not ringing properly for the assigned person. Quote from tjefferson3 ."I thought about rooting again and trying fatboy97's suggestion...but then I tested setting different stock ringtones (which I suppose are on the root of the phone) to individual contacts, and the last caller's ringtone plays for the next caller...Ugggghhh!!!! Very frustrating". The phone ringing one behind on the ringtones seems to be the problem. Some people have it and some don't, and after the GB update people who are not rooted are starting to have the problem. Thus I feel this is a problem that is written into the GB update because not rooted people are having the problem too. I noticed people on custom ROM's had this issue before and these ROM's are based off of the GB updates. Maybe there is an extra period, space, or other error in the file that assigns the ringtones. I hope a dev will look into this at some point.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I move a copy of my ringtones I use from my SD card to my device using Root Explorer... after I move them to /system/media/audio/ringtones folder I long click and select Permissions, then change it to:

Owner: Read-On, Write-On, Execute-Off
Group: Read-On, Write-Off, Execute-Off
Others: Read-On, Write-Off, Execute-Off

Or rw-r--r--

Then I usually have to reboot my device once, then I can select those new ringtones.... I also use the same method to move some notification ringtones on to my device after I flash a new ROM... works for me.

I have the exact same problem as the op. I'm on 1.0.9 cubed.

Before I take the steps you suggested I wanted to ask if the ringtones have to be in some special audio format? Most of my ringtones are music files.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I have the exact same problem as the op. I'm on 1.0.9 cubed.

Before I take the steps you suggested I wanted to ask if the ringtones have to be in some special audio format? Most of my ringtones are music files.

All mine are mp3 file format, and again they work great... no issues.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Once files are copied to system I imagine you have to delete them from the sd card and reaquire them from every app?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member