Thunderbolt: Apps that are safe to remove once rooted (and how to put them back!)

daniel178

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I am having trouble removing Flickr.... I REALLY want to get rid of this since it seems to keep running in the background, even after I force quit it. I am using Super Manager. Can anyone help?

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Titanium Backup (Free Verison) does not work it says it can not ask say the root?

UPDATE Figure it out had to download the dropbox.

Do you have to click every app to backup or is there a easier way to back up all apps at once. I want to move my bloatware using the super manager but I want back up everything first but again do you really have click every single app one at time to back up?

Last edited:

Guntherm

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you can:

Main menu of Titanium, Hit you menu Button
Select Batch
There is a pre program in there to backup all apps or all apps plus data.
Hit run on the one you want
Then in next window click select all to enusre all, or go through list a click ones you dont want etc.
Click run

There ya go!

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks TBolt.

FYI - I wouldn't remove htcsettingswidget, if you ever think you might want it back. I removed it today so I could work on the table in post #1, and ended up having to do a hard reset. Lessons learned.

Oh yeah, there's a table in post #1. I will finish up the size complete column later on. As you can see, a few of these things aren't really worth moving.

nanachkh

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
This is what I've removed without issues-

app sharing
blockbuster
internet
city id
fm radio widget
friend stream widget
music widget
stocks widget
twitter widget
flickr
friend streaming
gmail
google search
facebook for htc sence
fm radio
footprints
htc footprints widget
news
news widget
mobile im
mobile instant messaging widget
music
screen brightness widget
streaming media player
sync widget
peep
kindle
android live wallpapers
live wallpaper picker
magic smoke wallpapers
htc sense live wallpaper
vcast media manager
slacker
stocks
talk
tune wiki
vcast apps
music visualization wallpaper
visual vm
vz navigator
bitbop
lets golf 2
rhapsody
rockband

Reactions: notmebug

3coup3

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Anybody working on the various weather apps? Only the widget is on the safe list but there are several .apk files supporting the standalone app as well. Who knew downloading a 5 day forecast was so tough.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Cory...great info. Do you have a list like this for the Droid Pro? It sure would be beneficial to a lot of Pro users. Thanks.

Moto is a different animal, but I'll see if one of the Advisers can take this on.

I apparently removed something I wasn't supposed to. On the Add Widget screen when I select Browse all HTC widgets I get an error saying "Sorry! The application Rosie Utility (process com.htc.RosieUtility) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. And there's a Force Close button.

right under the Browse HTC widgets is a green bar icon with an x in it. Label reads: 80.0dip HTC. Selecting that gives me the same error message.

I am able to select every other widget without a problem.

The Rosie.apk and rosie.odex are still in the system/app directory. I did move a few HTC widgets that I'll never use to the bloat folder on the SD card.

Thoughts??

Edit I moved the HTC widget files back into the APP directory but the problem still persists.

I'm getting the same Rosie errors...

This is why:

When you move an app (and ODEX if applicable) file, from /system/app to the SD card, the permissions change from rw-r--r-- (to) --rwxr-x. The owner/group changes from root/root to system/sdcard_rw. The app disappears from the app drawer and all is good.

Now, lets say you move them back for some reason:

• When you move them back, the permissions remain what they were on the SD card.
  • The apps (e.g., VZ Nav) will not show up in the app drawer - even after a reboot.
  • You have to put the permissions back to rw-r--r-- and then reboot before they will show up in the app drawer again.
  • If it's Sense related (e.g., one of the widgets), you MUST go into settings > applications > manage applications > HTC Sense > and clear data; otherwise, they will not show up in the widget pick list. After you do so, Sense will revert back to the out of the box config; including wallpapers, widgets, etc.
  • The owner/group of these files will remain system/sdcard_rw, but that doesn't seem to have any negative impact.
The best way to change the permissions - is to use Root Explorer.

1. Move your apps from the SD card to your /system/app folder.
  2. If it isn't already, mount the folder as R/W
  3. Press down on the file you want to change the permissions on then select permissions from the popup. If you get an error that it isn't read/write, then you didn't mount the folder.
  4. Next, you should get a popup that allows you to change permissions. Change them as follows:
Group|Read|Write|Execute

User|Checked|Checked|Not Checked

Group|Checked|Not Checked|Not Checked

Others|Checked|Not Checked|Not Checked

ADB should also be able to do this, but no time for me to try that at the moment.

bosscib

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting the same Rosie error when trying to go HTC Widgets. I checked all of the apps in System/Apps, and they're all rw-r-rr. I didn't move anything back to System from the SD card either. Here is what I put on my SD card:

Blockbuster_htc.apk
CityID.apk
com.htc.FMRadioWidget.apk
com.htc.FMRRadioWidget.odex
com.htc.FriendStreamWidget.apk
com.htc.FriendStreamWidget.odex
com.htc.StockWidget.apk
com.htc.StockWidget.odex
com.htc.TwitterWidget.apk
com.htc.TwitterWidget.odex
Flickr.apk
Flickr.odex
HtcTwitter.apk
HtcTwitter.odex
Kindle-OEMxxxxxx
VCast.apk
VzNav.apk
VZW_BitBop.apk
VZW_Golf.apk
VZW_Rhapsody.apk
VZW_RockbandStub.apk

I thought I only moved ones from your list, but I may have been mistaken. Any other thoughts?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
P.S. You must do this step also:

[*] If it's Sense related (e.g., one of the widgets), you MUST go into settings > applications > manage applications > HTC Sense > and clear data; otherwise, they will not show up in the widget pick list. After you do so, Sense will revert back to the out of the box config; including wallpapers, widgets, etc.

bosscib

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that was a typo. I'll try your other step too - thanks.

Edit - that last step worked. I figured my widgets may get messed up, but some of them seem to have been deleted (clock, weather, etc). I'm sure I'll figure it out. This is all new to me. Thanks again.

Last edited:

madroix

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Can't get CityID back

I have followed the instructions you posted here and have also tried many other methods but I cannot get City ID back on my Thunderbolt. I am currently running Das Bamf rom and the basic debloat before that. This is giving me fits man. It has been two weeks and for some reason I just can't get it back on the phone. Suggestions?:'(

dirk4201258

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
So is it possible to hook into my comp (without root) and open the directory and just delete these files like blockbuster, city id, bitbop, vz navigator etc??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy