Root Now with S-OFF Updated. It's out (Version 2)

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
In the process of installing now. For those who have adb not properly installed in device manager, you can get HTC Sync from here which includes the drivers.

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I think i'll wait until there is a quicker, more simplified method for root. I'm sure I would be able to get this to work, but it's just way more steps than I'm willing to concentrate on right now. ;)

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
It's a little long and drawn out but isn't too bad. Finished a little while ago and the only issue I had was it kept saying "offline" everytime I ran adb devices at the command prompt after flashing the current release firmware. Had to uninstall Android USB Devices and reboot. Worked fine afterwards. This was using Windows 7 x64.

elemerica

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Worked perfect for me as well. Got 'offline' a few times, but unplugged the phone and plugged it back in and it was working fine again. Win7 x64 as well.

Good stuff!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Typically I would jump at the chance to get right on in there, root is really what I want right now so I can ditch the bloatware (custom ROM's later) but I would like to see a more streamlined root method myself.

While I have confidence in my ability to follow the steps I also have confidence in it going sideways too ;)

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Lol. I'm not worried about screwing up my phone, i just dont feel like dealing with this long process. I'm torn between really wanting to clean up my phone, and really not wanting to go through this process to root my phone. Maybe i'll hold out for a while and see what people cook up in the next week or so. If they streamline the process in the next few days, i'll rock it. If not, eventually i'll just give it and use this method.

elemerica

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Really? It took me about an hour from start to finish; including downloading and installing the SDK, downloading the two 400mb files and running through the steps.

Stop being lazy...

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Lol. I'm not worried about screwing up my phone, i just dont feel like dealing with this long process. I'm torn between really wanting to clean up my phone, and really not wanting to go through this process to root my phone. Maybe i'll hold out for a while and see what people cook up in the next week or so. If they streamline the process in the next few days, i'll rock it. If not, eventually i'll just give it and use this method.

Someone said that they thought one touch would be out in the next week or so and that they were already working on it.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm in. Big thanks to the devs on this one. Root went flawlessly

To those who keep getting the ADB "offline" error after updating either of the img files, remember that you need to turn USB debugging back on

t_reax

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
n00b type question

Is it possible with the Thunderbolt after d/ling and installing root explorer from the market to enable r/w mode and move the .apk bloatware files to your sdCard without having to root the phone?

AisforAustin

Aug 18, 2010
www.twitter.com
where do I place all the files I downloaded, on my mac? should i save it in the android sdk folder? does it matter? So when I start step 2 the adb commands will find those files wherever they are and push them to my phone?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just put everything in my tools folder on the android-sdk-mac_x86

Last edited:

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible with the Thunderbolt after d/ling and installing root explorer from the market to enable r/w mode and move the .apk bloatware files to your sdCard without having to root the phone?

No. without root you will not be able to move the system files. The bloatware is in your system folder.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Reactions: t_reax

BB9530

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Awesome just finished mine....I haven't used sdk or adb since rooting my dinc when it first came out. At least this time it went quick not 3 days

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
One thing I've noticed is that those that like to charge their phones while off are going to run into issues as it just keeps booting into CWM instead of staying off when plugged in. This seems to be a known issue after checking xda this morning.

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
HELP! following the root instructions, just got to the part where i have to flash the old firmware. I'm trying to run the "adb reboot bootloader" command, but i get "adb: not found"

What do i do now???

UPEngineer

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
HELP! following the root instructions, just got to the part where i have to flash the old firmware. I'm trying to run the "adb reboot bootloader" command, but i get "adb: not found"

What do i do now???

I think that happened to me. You may still be in the shell.

If you have a prompt of # or $ type exit and then hit enter.

Then run your adb command again.

I think the instructions left that part out. Basically your are trying to run the command on your phone and not your computer :)