Couple noobie questions

FarmerJohnDFC

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, I'm a brand new Droid user. Got the TB Thursday and am absolutely loving it. However, I'm also a natural-born tinkerer and didn't make it 3 hours even with all the cool features of the phone without browsing forums looking for what I can do to improve it. I know I'm going to wait for a one-click method to ensure I don't get a very expensive paperweight (although at least a good looking one). But, I do have a couple questions:

1) I've been browsing a lot and have come across a lot of information, could you guys recommend your favorite links to laymen's terms explanations?

2) For wireless tethering, which is admittedly the biggest reason I want to root, how does Verizon not recognize that I'm doing it? Don't they see the data usage and what device it's coming from?

Sorry so wordy, but I appreciate y'alls responses.

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, I'm a brand new Droid user. Got the TB Thursday and am absolutely loving it. However, I'm also a natural-born tinkerer and didn't make it 3 hours even with all the cool features of the phone without browsing forums looking for what I can do to improve it. I know I'm going to wait for a one-click method to ensure I don't get a very expensive paperweight (although at least a good looking one). But, I do have a couple questions:

1) I've been browsing a lot and have come across a lot of information, could you guys recommend your favorite links to laymen's terms explanations?

2) For wireless tethering, which is admittedly the biggest reason I want to root, how does Verizon not recognize that I'm doing it? Don't they see the data usage and what device it's coming from?

Sorry so wordy, but I appreciate y'alls responses.

I will answer your second question. I think technically verizon might be able to detect if you tether if they were to put some code in the firmware. For example, the leaked fascinate froyo firmware is rumored to have the ability to detect wifi tethering. I don't know if anyone has been hit with a bill (to prove or disprove this theory), but I have tethered and never had a problem. Once a one click method comes out it will be pretty self explanatory. I am sure there will be a detailed step by step process, and if you have any problems, the android devs are some of the best.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

FarmerJohnDFC

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I do hope there will be an easy-to-follow process at least for my first one. I'm not too concerned with the tethering right now since I have til May 15 unlimited hotspotting, so I'll just keep an eye out. Thanks again.