Thunderbolt Showing Wrong Location

OpIvy

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I just got my TB yesterday and rooted it almost immediately. I had rooted my roommates TB the night previous so mine went fast and without any problems.

The big problem that came up is the Location as shown by various apps on the phone. The weather widget current location thinks I'm in Luxembourg, the Map and Google jump between Mexico City and Luxembourg. Obviously I am not in both places and I'm actually in Utah.

Does anyone know of a fix for this? I can't guarantee that it was working before the root, so for now I'm going to go back to the stock ROM and see if that fixes it. But if anyone has any suggestions before the ROM is downloaded, I'm all ears.

UPEngineer

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I just got my TB yesterday and rooted it almost immediately. I had rooted my roommates TB the night previous so mine went fast and without any problems.

The big problem that came up is the Location as shown by various apps on the phone. The weather widget current location thinks I'm in Luxembourg, the Map and Google jump between Mexico City and Luxembourg. Obviously I am not in both places and I'm actually in Utah.

Does anyone know of a fix for this? I can't guarantee that it was working before the root, so for now I'm going to go back to the stock ROM and see if that fixes it. But if anyone has any suggestions before the ROM is downloaded, I'm all ears.

The weather widget has a problem. Their database isnt very populated. What I did is edited my HTC weather database and added my city.

I also read to delete the weather widget and readd it. Select HTC clock and scroll to the 3rd one to the right and select it.

Seemed to help mine a bunch.

On maps, clear cache on maps...reboot your phone and go outside to get a good lock and let maps lock in on your location for a few minutes.....that helped mine a lot.

m.albertlee

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
The weather widget has a problem. Their database isnt very populated. What I did is edited my HTC weather database and added my city.

I also read to delete the weather widget and readd it. Select HTC clock and scroll to the 3rd one to the right and select it.

On maps, clear cache on maps...reboot your phone and go outside to get a good lock and let maps lock in on your location for a few minutes.....that helped mine a lot.
this may be a noob question, but how do you edit the weather widget to add your own city. obviously, by default, most cities don't show up. much thanks in advance to showing us the way

m.albertlee

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
@bthomp21 - I know thats how you normally do it (duh lol), but UPEngineer said "What I did is edited my HTC weather database and added my city,"

Is there a way for you to add your own town/village/city that isn't in the narrow, not-so-populated HTC weather database (for example, Amherst, MA, is not included in the database, so, is there a way to add it in the database)

UPEngineer

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
this may be a noob question, but how do you edit the weather widget to add your own city. obviously, by default, most cities don't show up. much thanks in advance to showing us the way

There is a thread that shows how to do it.

You have to be rooted to do it....

I am out of pocket for a few hours, but when I get back I will post the link and give you a rundown on how to do it....

EDIT: Here is the link:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=755935

I used a SQLite Manager which is a Firefox Plugin. Instead of downloading the app the thread talked about.

Here is the format to use: (THis is for Amherst, MA)

NAM|US|MA|AMHERST

Timezone would be 300 for Eastern
You would put America/New_York in timezoneld

There is a actually a database you can use to replace what is on your phone, but it slows it down....Just add what you need. I am actually deleting a lot of the other stuff from other countries.....

Read through it and I will be back later.

I don't take credit for this.... I am just passing along the info

Last edited:

bthomp21

Banned
Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
@bthomp21 - I know thats how you normally do it (duh lol), but UPEngineer said "What I did is edited my HTC weather database and added my city,"

Is there a way for you to add your own town/village/city that isn't in the narrow, not-so-populated HTC weather database (for example, Amherst, MA, is not included in the database, so, is there a way to add it in the database)

oh im sorry :( i didnt read lol

OpIvy

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

This works for a time, but doesn't address the base issue. Doing the above will sometimes get me the right location in the map, but then when moving around it will decide to place me in random locations. So far today I've been on the Isle of Man, in Boise, Luxembourg, Mexico City, Lewiston ID, and New Delhi.

I've gone back to stock and so far it seems to be correct. I'll report back after a day or two on stock, then try another ROM.

shaddix

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I am now getting this after rooting and loading adrynalyne's debloat rom. My maps seem to work fine it's just the weather that isn't showing the right location.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

UPEngineer

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I am now getting this after rooting and loading adrynalyne's debloat rom. My maps seem to work fine it's just the weather that isn't showing the right location.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I sent HTC an email support about this and they responded and told me to do the following:

1. Goto settings/Location and turn OFF VZW Location Services.
2. Make sure GPS and Google Location Services is ON.
3. Go to Maps and lock on to your position.
4. Manually refresh your Weather.
5. Leave VZW location services OFF.

I did this and so far, knock on wood, I have not had any more problems with location in weather.

They said it was a confirmed bug in the weather widget not playing nicely with the VZW location service. A fix will be released in an update later when they fix it.

Your mileage may vary.

dmxoneIuv

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
FIXED

I sent HTC an email support about this and they responded and told me to do the following:

1. Goto settings/Location and turn OFF VZW Location Services.
2. Make sure GPS and Google Location Services is ON.
3. Go to Maps and lock on to your position.
4. Manually refresh your Weather.
5. Leave VZW location services OFF.

I did this and so far, knock on wood, I have not had any more problems with location in weather.

They said it was a confirmed bug in the weather widget not playing nicely with the VZW location service. A fix will be released in an update later when they fix it.

Your mileage may vary.

This seems to have FIXED the issue for me, Thanks!

Jett2314

May 2, 2010
Visit site

I had the same problem when I first rooted my TB. I figured maybe I missed a step in the root process or didn't apply something correctly. I flashed a basic stock rooted rom with the bloat ware removed and haven't had a problem since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress