Won't let me flash stock ROM over leaked ROM, says it's "older" -- help!

reyxlp

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I've had trouble with random reboots since installing the new, leaked stock ROM.

I tried going back to the original but it won't let me because it says it's an "older" ROM.

How do I get around this and force it to let me re-install the original stock ROM?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Can you not manually go into recovery and flash from there? I obviously don't have the Thunderbolt but if you have the .zip for the original ROM, you should be able to flash via recovery.

Also if you made a backup of your original ROM you always just flash that.

reyxlp

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I had the phone rooted with custom ROM and kernel.

To install the leaked stock ROM, all I had to do was rename the ZIP, drop it into the main SD card dir and boot the phone with VOL- + POWER.

That was it, phone did the rest.

Tried the same method with the original stock ROM but got the error that it won't let me because it's an older file.

I'm a newbie so I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "manually go into recovery and flash from there" -- I thought that's what I had done with the leaked ROM and what I'm trying to do with the stock ROM.

I'm hoping for an easier way to return to stock than having to root or do anything complicated (for me lol) like that all over again.

Any help appreciated - thanks!

Chillerman

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I may be completely off base but it sounds like you are trying to flash back to the original radio? Not a rom but a ruu? If you have the correct stock version and it is named PG05IMG in the root of your sd card, you should be able to update it in hboot. I have flashed back and forth many times.

Last edited:

reyxlp

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
To clarify, make sure the PG05IMG.zip that is currently on your SD card is deleted, then download the stock radio and place it on the root of your SD and rename it PG05IMG. Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!. Power off your phone, reboot into recovery (power+volume down) and press the volume up when it asks to install updates.

Hey -- thanks, sorry, I used some incorrect terms in my original description but, yes, this is exactly what I've tried to do (except it starts loading the ZIP automatically without asking me if I want to update or my having to press "VOL+") I get the following error:

"Main Verison is older!
Update Fail!
Press <POWER> to reboot."

Again, running leaked stock updated RUU (not just radio but whole thing) and trying to switch back to original stock RUU (again, not just radio but whole thing).

Used method above, getting error message above.

Any help appreciated - thanks!

Chillerman

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
You say you had it rooted with custom rom and kernel. Could you go to settings/about phone/software information and tell us what the baseband version and the kernel version is?

Nate1861

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I assume you are not rooted, otherwise you would be able to revert easily.

First thing you need to do is get ADB installed on your computer, follow the instructions in the link below.

Howto: Install the Android SDK - CyanogenMod Wiki

Download the stock ROM from the following link.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Once you have ADB up and running, follow the steps in the link below until you finish step 4. I think you may be able to use the stock ROM instead of the downgrade ROM as detailed in the post below, but I went ahead and did the downgrade first.

[ROOT] PermRoot + Unlock Bootloader - Safer/Easier 4/21/2011 - xda-developers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana