0 problems before root, will i have problems after?

russ2387

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
hi all. had the d1 and was rooted. changed roms all the time. bought the tb the second it was available. i love it. i have 0 problems. i am getting that itch to root and play with the tb. my question is if i do root, and try roms, is there a chance that ill get the reboot issues that everyone seems to have? or if i don't have them now i shouldent worry about it.... anyone out there had 0 problems before they rooted, and now regret it???

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
The only problems you will encounter will be the self inflicted kind. There are some excellent guides here to get you started. As long as you can read and follow directions closely you should be trouble free. Good luck

Reactions: NotJustAPhone

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
hi all. had the d1 and was rooted. changed roms all the time. bought the tb the second it was available. i love it. i have 0 problems. i am getting that itch to root and play with the tb. my question is if i do root, and try roms, is there a chance that ill get the reboot issues that everyone seems to have? or if i don't have them now i shouldent worry about it.... anyone out there had 0 problems before they rooted, and now regret it???

if you have reboot problems they will probably be of the radio variety - some phones don't like the updated radio, some like it. if you root, you will have the option to flash any radio that works for you, so i think you should be ok with some tweaking if you're interested.

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my TB a few days ago with the one-click (auto-root) method listed in the forum... it was sooo easy... I am now running dasBAMF 1.6.3 remix.

As for your radio... DO THIS RIGHT NOW, open "settings" - "about phone" - "software info" - and then write down your current software number and Baseband... Mine software is 1.13.605.7 and baseband is 1.16.00.0402w_1 this is sort of considered your radio, sort of.( PLEASE SEE BELOW POST FOR MORE ACCURATE INFO;) ) I say to do this becuase if you do ever play around with radio flashing, then you will know which one you had when you started... they are all basically the same to a degree, the only major different one is for gingerbread based ROMs. here is a link to all the TBOLT radios [RADIO] The Obligatory Thunderbolt Radio Thread - xda-developers. I am currently using the second one on the list, I was using the first one but battery life was sucking down alot. just remember to keep track of which one you flash to your phone, and ALSO, as soon as you place it on the root of your SD and go into HBOOT mode (follow instructions for update), then immediately plug your phone in and remove that zip (PB05IMG) from the ROOT of your SD card... You can keep it on your sdcard if you want but just put it in a folder, thats what I do. then I use SuperManager (rootexplorer equivalent) to move them around instead of having to plug my phone onto my computer....

AND, I only had 1 reboot so far, but thats when I was experiementing with GB radios. so far, so good.

good luck and keep us posted :)

Last edited:
Reactions: zero neck

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I rooted my TB a few days ago with the one-click (auto-root) method listed in the forum... it was sooo easy... I am now running dasBAMF 1.6.3 remix.

As for your radio... DO THIS RIGHT NOW, open "settings" - "about phone" - "software info" - and then write down your current software number... Mine is 1.13.605.7 this is considered your radio. I say to do this becuase if you do ever play around with radio flashing, then you will know which one you had when you started... they are all basically the same to a degree, the only major different one is for gingerbread based ROMs. here is a link to all the TBOLT radios [RADIO] The Obligatory Thunderbolt Radio Thread - xda-developers. I am currently using the second one on the list, I was using the first one but battery life was sucking down alot. just remember to keep track of which one you flash to your phone, and ALSO, as soon as you place it on the root of your SD and go into HBOOT mode (follow instructions for update), then immediately plug your phone in and remove that zip (PB05IMG) from the ROOT of your SD card... You can keep it on your sdcard if you want but just put it in a folder, thats what I do. then I use SuperManager (rootexplorer equivalent) to move them around instead of having to plug my phone onto my computer....

AND, I only had 1 reboot so far, but thats when I was experiementing with GB radios. so far, so good.

good luck and keep us posted :)

Actually...that's not entirely true...

The radio thread lists the radios based on the software version they were released with. The "Baseband Version" is what will actually tell you the radio version, BUT that is only the 3G (CDMA) radio. The 4G LTE radio version actually isn't listed on this screen, and I'm not sure there is even a place to view it (which I believe is why the radios on that page are listed by the software version they were originally supplied with). In other words, you may want to make a note of what you're flashing and what has worked well for you.

The Baseband version of the current (3G) radio that was installed with the OTA update on non-rooted phones is: 1.16.00.0402w_1
Previous version was: 1.16.00.0223r
If you install one of the mis-matched combo packs from the radio page, your software status screen will only change to reflect the 3G radio version, not the LTE...so don't flip out if you don't see it there. The software version will not change if you flash a new LTE radio.

*If I've supplied any incorrect info here, please feel free to politely correct me.

C Dirty

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I accepted the OTA update about 1.5 weeks ago and didn't have any problems. I rooted two days ago using the XDA thread with the MR1 update and continue to not have any problems. I haven't tried any ROMs yet, but simply rooting shouldn't mess anything up for you.

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Actually...that's not entirely true...

The radio thread lists the radios based on the software version they were released with. The "Baseband Version" is what will actually tell you the radio version, BUT that is only the 3G (CDMA) radio. The 4G LTE radio version actually isn't listed on this screen, and I'm not sure there is even a place to view it (which I believe is why the radios on that page are listed by the software version they were originally supplied with). In other words, you may want to make a note of what you're flashing and what has worked well for you.

The Baseband version of the current (3G) radio that was installed with the OTA update on non-rooted phones is: 1.16.00.0402w_1
Previous version was: 1.16.00.0223r
If you install one of the mis-matched combo packs from the radio page, your software status screen will only change to reflect the 3G radio version, not the LTE...so don't flip out if you don't see it there. The software version will not change if you flash a new LTE radio.

*If I've supplied any incorrect info here, please feel free to politely correct me.
Thank you sir. I need to brush up on learn more about the radios (ins and outs).... I am going to edit my post so that I don't give out any misinformation :)

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Kinda sux that we cant see exactly what radio combo, espec with GB... oh well, thats why I have them all in folders and current ones Im using too. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699