Returning my Samsung 10.1 for a Thrive

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I bought a Samsung Galaxy tab about 2 weeks ago, The freeking lags so bad and I get a lot of fc's and lockups. I find myself reverting back to using my Dinc before I use tha tab
Im going to return the dam thing to bestbuy on Sunday and pick u a Thrive.
I'd be willing to bet the Thrive kicks the crap out of the samsung.

Hitch

sonofdroid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I had a xoom for the longest time and once I started using the Samsung 10.1 there was no going back to heavy thick tablets and returned my Xoom to costco. If you can benefit from the usb and hdmi port that's great but to sacrifice a no bulk tab for bulk will have it's drawbacks after long term use when relaxing no mater how big or small you are. As for me I choose no bulk. My Samsung as no lag no light bleed and is possibly the best looking display out there with a fantastic refresh rate, this is coming from a user who had four tablets before the Samsung 10.1 tab. I will check out the Toshiba when it's on display at BB but has I said thin is in for me. Purely my opinion. Can't wait for your review.

Last edited:

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I had a xoom for the longest time and once I started using the Samsung 10.1 there was no going back to heavy thick tablets and returned my Xoom to costco. If you can benefit from the usb and hdmi ports that's great but to sacrifice a no bulk tab for bulk has it's drawbacks after long term use when relaxing. As for me I choose no bulk. My Samsung as no lag no light bleed and is possibly the best looking display out there with a fantastic refresh rate, this is coming from a user who had four tablets before the Samsung 10.1 It takes a hell of lot to convince and satisfy me when it comes to Tech, Samsung 10.1 hit the spot. Purely my opinion.

its good to hear from someone that has had there hands on a lot of tabs,
The Thrive will only be around .25 lbs heavier then the Samsung.
I find the Samsung almost to thin for me, With my big hands on such a thin tablet im always afraid of dropping it. The thrive being a little thicker (not much) and a grippy back cover could be better for me.
really weird how some people are having tons of lag and fc's and others have none.

No light bleed for me either

Hitch

sonofdroid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
The one thing that could be a plus for me is, I like the fact that you can swap out the battery whether to replace or use as extra back up.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
The one thing that could be a plus for me is, I like the fact that you can swap out the battery whether to replace or use as extra back up.

That was one of my biggest factors for ordering the Thrive. I didn't like that all the previous tablets do date didn't have a user replaceable battery. All I could think of was how similar a design that was to iPods, iPads, and iPhones. I'm glad that batteries are lasting longer in the small devices, but from personal experience, my Laptop seems to require a new battery every 1.5 to 2 years. I didn't want to ship my tablet back to the manufacturer to have a new battery installed and pay a premium for both the battery and the installation.

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

The replaceable battery will probably come in real handy when people start rooting it and need to pull the battery when things go wrong

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
The replaceable battery will probably come in real handy when people start rooting it and need to pull the battery when things go wrong

Uhh until they figure out that holding down the power and vol ^ key will reset the tab despite its level of jankyness. I jacked up rooting/flashing my xoom and gtab 10.1 multiple times (each) and never had a problem restarting either with that method

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
My galaxy 10.1 was absolute junk. I bought a Flyer (gingerbread) that is light years ahead of honeycomb in that everything works. I'm picking up a thrive tomorrow to see how it does. I'm on my 6th tab counting it. So far, only the little Flyer passes, and I give it a B-....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
My galaxy 10.1 was absolute junk. I bought a Flyer (gingerbread) that is light years ahead of honeycomb in that everything works. I'm picking up a thrive tomorrow to see how it does. I'm on my 6th tab counting it. So far, only the little Flyer passes, and I give it a B-....

I have only played with my new thrive for a few hours so far, but im loving it. Seems so much nicer then the Samsung.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If the apps run, doesn't force close constantly, will download attachments, and doesn't make you put music in the sounds folder to play it while the music folder remains empty, along with forcing you to crop wallpapers and much much more, it should work out. Love the removable battery and SD card slot too.

ct1211

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Well I have both tabs right now. I expected the Thrive to be the best of the best tabs.

so far vs the Galaxy 10.1 it has less color and brightness than the 10.1 What really stands out is the whites on the screen have a yellow cast. Also and this is the dealbreaker for me, the screen has the "Screen door" effect found on many older LCD screens yikes. It also has the same screen lag issues when typing in certain places. Very heavy too. I was willing to live with the weight for the ports but alas I'm going to have to learn to live without ports.... I hope all of you running out for a Thrive can do a comparo first. Now I now why all these tablets are kept apart tethered in the stores!! I have two days before I would have to return my 10.1 to BB so I will work them both and report back. Thanks

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I bought a Samsung Galaxy tab about 2 weeks ago, The freeking lags so bad and I get a lot of fc's and lockups. I find myself reverting back to using my Dinc before I use tha tab
Im going to return the dam thing to bestbuy on Sunday and pick u a Thrive.
I'd be willing to bet the Thrive kicks the crap out of the samsung.

Hitch

Problem is those issues aren't with the hardware. It's the software, I've been through it with my Xoom, Transformer, and most recently Galaxy Tab 10.1. And I know the Thrive will have the same issues.

Thrive looks nice. But I returned my Galaxy Tab 10.1 and decide to not drive myself crazy with any more Android 3 tablets. I'm hoping Android 4 isn't too far off and it is a big improvement.

eds817

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I purchased a BlackBerry PlayBook back in April and loved it from day one. Display is awesome and sound is fantastic.

A couple of weeks ago I took into Best Buy to have a Zagg invisible shield installed. A few days later I noticed something under the shield so I took it back and they replaced it. The day after having the 2nd one installed I noticed the gasket between the frame and glass was sticking up by the left speaker. Best Buy did the right thing and took it back and gave me a store credit.

Since the stores aren't stocking the 64GB units I decided not to order another one just yet. I'm planning on looking at the Thrive tonight. I like the replaceable battery and SD card slot. Also, the PlayBook didn't render some sites well in portrait. For example NYTimes.com. I guess the 7" format is just too small to view in portrait. Also, I'm not very happy with RIM's slow reaction to the cries for native email & PIM apps (not very important to me right now since I have a BB), no file manager, no bookmark manager, not AD2P compliant.

My concern with going to an Android device is that I continue to read about rooting. I'm not sure if this is absolutely needed of is it just makes the device more usable. I'm pretty confident that I can do it in time. But will I get the most from the device if I don't do anything to it?

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, the Toshiba made it 24hrs. It sucked as bad as the galaxy. I'm done with tabs. I'll stick with my laptop, Evo and nook color

packisback

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
dont get the thrive i have it straight out the box screen wont wake up galaxy tab here i come

I know it sounds crazy but I have to ask. Did you charge the thrive before trying to use it? Mine came straight out of the box with absolutely no charge. Though maybe you were just unlucky and got a defective product, it happens sometimes.

david6785

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the tab and exchanged it for the thrive, I couldn't be any happier!! I'll take a thicker tablet any day instead of wasting money on adapters. With the thrive you can bring your tablet with you and show off photos to anyone with the tablet or on the big screen no adapters thank you toshiba. The screen is really good but not on the level of the tab but the colors are more accurate unlike the tab. I would say it matches the xoom or iconia. I really love the SD card slot it just works!! Just pop it in go into gallery bam right there!! Photos look awesome on the thrive tons of detail.

Last edited:
Reactions: hummingbirdhill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty