Signal Strength

kevin5377

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
So it seems my signal strength is not as good on this phone as it was on my S2. It dropped out completely when I was at home yesterday and it just seems like it's overall weaker in a lot of areas.
Anyone else experiencing this?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums

Rmorton0573

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I too had the S2 I gave it to my wife when I got the S3 and the signal strength is lower on the S3 side by side in our house my signal is 95 dBm and the S2 is 74 dBm

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Taptalk

kevin5377

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, I did get a tweet from uscc that they have some "service effecting issues" in my area (Milwaukee), and they're working on it. Hopefully it gets better!

hilgerone

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
There is a noticeable difference between the S3 and the Electrify. Many times the singal dbm appears the same yet the electrify holds the call better. It's almost as if the electrify fights to hold on and the S3 just plain gives up and drops the call. Love the device but in this day and age how is it one manufacturer can make a bullet proof radio and another can't?

I don't want to but the S3 may be going back.

SmileyXX

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Check your baseband version. If it's LF9 that seems to be the culprit for poor reception and from what I've seen LG1 remedies it

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

lowcal

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I have LF9. Is there anything I can do to fix the dropped calls? Not a huge deal because I don't actually talk on the phone much but it is a little annoying.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 2

SmileyXX

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Exchange it, take it to a tech and see if they can do it, or check out TeamUSCellular. I believe they have the stock LG1 Odin file

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Kegs2015

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm also having signal issues. On second s3 and same problems. Mine is LF2. Could that be my issue also? Don't know how to delete, but on wrong carrier. Sorry

Last edited:

kevin5377

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I've heard that Samsung has guaranteed an update within 2 weeks to uscc. Hopefully this pans out as I'm fed up!

kevin5377

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, I've since called uscc myself and they told me that there is "something happening very soon". I do not know if that means a patch, hardware repair, or device replacement.
I would highly recommend to anyone having signal issues to call support and get a device ticket created. Those who have called with signal issues will be the first to be notified of the fix (so I'm told).

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, I've since called uscc myself and they told me that there is "something happening very soon". I do not know if that means a patch, hardware repair, or device replacement.
I would highly recommend to anyone having signal issues to call support and get a device ticket created. Those who have called with signal issues will be the first to be notified of the fix (so I'm told).

They've been saying this since shortly after release when the problem became known. Always a good idea to call tech support with any problems you have so there is at least a record of your issue. There are many topics on this specific issue across all forums with no real resolve for the phone in hand. My fix was another replacement phone, likely from a different manufacturer's batch. My signal issues are gone.

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Have to agree with trucky, had this issue from the start and over the course of several calls USCC replaced my GS3 with a new phone...no issues and I'm a happy camper!

Cheers

iowastudio

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Samsung and US Cellular have partnered up to do an exchange program for these buggy SIII's out there. If you call Customer Support at USC, tell them you need to talk with Tech Support so you can be put on the list for the Drop Call Exchange for the SIII. The list is already started and more details with be coming out next week directly from USC. But you MUST CALL right away!!!! I've heard from one source that there were a batch where the placed a screw in a bad spot which affects signal quality. I too have a POS III right now, it's essentially a digital camera, not a phone.

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Samsung and US Cellular have partnered up to do an exchange program for these buggy SIII's out there. If you call Customer Support at USC, tell them you need to talk with Tech Support so you can be put on the list for the Drop Call Exchange for the SIII. The list is already started and more details with be coming out next week directly from USC. But you MUST CALL right away!!!! I've heard from one source that there were a batch where the placed a screw in a bad spot which affects signal quality. I too have a POS III right now, it's essentially a digital camera, not a phone.

I called shortly after I read this and the Tech Support didn't know anything about the Drop Call Exchange. But I went ahead and created a device ticket so they will call me as soon as they have a answer to the problem. So who knows.

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

You hear lots of stories but I'm not putting a high level of confidence in any of them until they come from USCC directly. If a screw were placed in a "bad spot" then the entire design would have to be reworked. You can't just put a screw someplace where it isn't designed to be screwed in. I also heard that they were trying to limit the potential radiation to your head so they reduced the output of the radio... still yet another unconfirmed report. But the underlying truth is you do need to call if you're having problems, even if they are unable to resolve them now. Having a record of the issue in your files will only help if you attempt an exchange or repair later.

iowastudio

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I received this information directly from a US Cellular Rep, I saw the email US Cellular sent the Rep. The screw information was from a USC tech over the phone, so that is still speculation, however I GUARANTEE you there is a DROP CALL EXCHANGE list, it's so new that most of the techs may not know about it until it's released in the upcoming week(s). I'm sure they are still going through training on what to tell customers, etc. You definitely need to call USC to get a complaint filed regarding your SIII though, everyone that has a complaint in and falls within their exchange guidelines will get a letter for exchange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress