Possible to tether for longer than five minutes?

richardpandy

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
Possible to tether for longer than 5 minutes? It happened when it was free with the vzw app and barnacle since I am rooted but I cannot hold the connection for longer than five minutes. My MacBook pro will stay connected but will no longer load anything. I have to disconnect, stop the program and restart and reconnect. Then it works for a few more minutes then dies. Anyone have any tips or info about this?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I can say is that yes it should last more than 5 minutes. I don't tether hardly at all and no nothing of macs so I cannot be of much use in troubleshooting

nerdydesi

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, I also have this same problem. I also had it with my Thunderbolt before I changed to a Charge. When I'll tether, the internet will work fine for perhaps 30 minutes at the very max before it stops working. However, my torrent app would keep running at full speed, only web browsing stops. I'd have to turn off and back on "mobile network" on my phone for it to work again. This occurs when I had the hotspot promo as well as using PDA.NET.

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I used Tether on my former Blackberry. But when I bought the Charge I switched over to PDAnet.

Since Tether offered me no discount device change discount I preferred to give PDAnet my money.
It's only like $15 anyway (no waiting for Tether's 50% off sales).

I'm not in a 4G area yet, but I can vouch for the fact that PDAnet works very well on the Charge as I've had no dropping off issues. So I don't think it's the device. My guess is Tether isn't playing well with 4G for some users (if you are on 4G).

Or try emailing their customer support with your issue as Tether did have good customer support.

desertdog

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I have used Pda & Barnicle to teather my lap top to the Charge. I watched tv thru hulu for a couple of hours with 4g no problems.

addictedtocars

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Possible to tether for longer than 5 minutes? It happened when it was free with the vzw app and barnacle since I am rooted but I cannot hold the connection for longer than five minutes. My MacBook pro will stay connected but will no longer load anything. I have to disconnect, stop the program and restart and reconnect. Then it works for a few more minutes then dies. Anyone have any tips or info about this?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

I'm rooted and have the mobile hotspot opton and have no problems once the hot spot is enabeld. I actually have stream several TV shows from NetFlix via my Roku using the DC HotSpot. My biggest complaint is that often the HotSpot errors when starting andI have to reboot the phone.

thomashedd1

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I use the wireless tether app, for me it cuts off after about 5mins as well IF: i clear my notifications. Every time a new device connects i get a notification telling me a new device has connected and the name of that device, it will stay connected only if it is in the notification panel.

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Barnicle never works for me, it's horrible. It connects like 2% of the time. I don't know if it's something verizon's doing or what, but it's a serious pain.

tkm20

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Google "wifi tether", should be the very first link. That's what I'm using, works well. Only used it a few times. Heard some people even play XBOX Live with it..

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Google "wifi tether", should be the very first link. That's what I'm using, works well. Only used it a few times. Heard some people even play XBOX Live with it..

Tried that, doesn't work at all. Used to work flawlessly with my OG Droid... never really had much success with the Droid X or this damn Charge...

richardpandy

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
At least I know it's not just me that is having this issue. I have tried several apps and I have the problems with all of them. Even the program From verizon, the mobile hotspot, I have the same problems. heh. Damn thing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress