Unlocking the Sim Card?

GeneralTula

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
How can I unlock the Samsung Droid Charge to work on any SIM card without having to go through Verizon. I just got my service with them & I travel international a lot. I'm going to Panama next week so I tried a T-Mobile & AT&T SIM card but neither will be recognized. If I root it will it unlock it. I thought it said Global/World phone because it works with every type of SIM? Please let me know. Your prompt response would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Tula

Droid.Guy

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
How can I unlock the Samsung Droid Charge to work on any SIM card without having to go through Verizon. I just got my service with them & I travel international a lot. I'm going to Panama next week so I tried a T-Mobile & AT&T SIM card but neither will be recognized. If I root it will it unlock it. I thought it said Global/World phone because it works with every type of SIM? Please let me know. Your prompt response would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Tula

As far as I know there is no way to unlock the SIM to accept anything other then a 4G-LTE Verizon SIM currently. Think it is stuck to the US, sorry.

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if the Droid Charge is locked to VZW. It might be unlocked.

Since it doesn't have a GSM or UMTS radio, putting anything other than a Verizon Wireless USIM in the Droid Charge would not accomplish anything.

You can use it in other countries which have compatible CDMA coverage, but it isn't a true global phone.

At this point, VZW is the only CDMA+LTE carrier that even uses USIM, so even if the device is unlocked, you're still limited to just Verizon. This will change soon, but even then, radio compatibility can be an issue.

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Since it doesn't have a GSM or UMTS radio, putting anything other than a Verizon Wireless USIM in the Droid Charge would not accomplish anything.

You can use it in other countries which have compatible CDMA coverage, but it isn't a true global phone.

At this point, VZW is the only CDMA+LTE carrier that even uses USIM, so even if the device is unlocked, you're still limited to just Verizon. This will change soon, but even then, radio compatibility can be an issue.

what about unlocking the sim card to work in the US.. i mean from tower to tower no matter which server tower is in range.. att, tmobile,sprint etc .. that would be nice

GeneralTula

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Well this is a load of sh*t. I have T-MO but I figured I'd try out Verizon and see how they are since the company I've been with approximately 6 years is being bought out by a company I can't stand. Come to find out Verizon is just as bad as AT&T. They lied to get me on board, they told me it was a world phone and would work with any SIM card so I wouldn't have to worry or switch back to my Nexus S when traveling. I went back to the store today and talk to the same manager and what does he do instead of right the situation and just return my phone and cancel my service?? HE ARGUES WITH ME AND TELLS ME HE NEVER SAID ANY OF THOSE THINGS. So I guess I lie to myself and convince myself to spend hundreds of dollars on new service while still having a contract with another company.

I wish they would release word on the new Nexus because I really want to hold out for them. I love my Nexus. I've never had a phone that can compare to how good this phone works. Yes, the Charge has a better screen (not by much) but all around my Nexus puts this newer Droid Charge to shame and I don't get lied to by anybody about it being unlocked.

Screw Verizon, they're service on this phone sucks too.

soulsurvives

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
not to be a jerk....but maybe a little research before you buy something.....I knew just about everything by the time I picked this phone....like anything else research before you buy.....saves a lot of headaches....

Walter Thomas

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I want to be as simple and intelligable as possible in what I'm about to say. Technically speaking the Droid Charge is a LTE4/WCDMA phone. That being said it's a known fact a good amount of USIM LTE phones are made with recycled GSM Chipsets, in most of these cases the GSM Functionality is locked out via the software by the manufacturer for Verizon. A good exampe of this is the Motorola Droid line which can be reprogrammed to accept GSM cards on a limited functionality and at least in theory be able to use more advanced GSM capabilities. That being said there is a 60-40 chance the charge can be made to accept GSM cards, but if so it will have to do with the OEM software more then a lock code, and that my friend can take quite a bit of research at the least and programming (not for the faint of heart)... there can also be in some cases special equipment such as a JTAG connecter which may be required. Short answer is your phone may probably or at least possibly be able to use GSM SIMs but finding out if it does and actually getting it to take a T-Mobile, AT&T, or other sim card will be alot of work.:p

Walter Thomas

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Hi,
I wanted to follow up quickly to my reply. I did some more research on your topic (about 4 or 5 google pages). Something I forgot to mention before is that LTE is GSM by definition. This is why some of these phones can be used. Ok so , drum roll, the chipset is not global chipset so it is limited to LTE GSM signals. You won't be able to use it on other carriers. Now this doesn't mean it's totally useless. It can still be flashed to another CDMA carrier which some will do for a fee (MetroPCS, Sprint, etc.), but it will never work for GSM and any other CDMA carrier will run it with sub-par data since the GSM/WCDMA radio is fixed to LTE/700, so it's 4G will be limited to Verizon only (i.e. MetroPCS uses LTE/1700 and Sprint uses WiMax). Sorry about the sour grapes but this is why I try to stay away from contracts (something most people stay away from in Europe). When you allow them to put you in a vice they'll ussually take it for granted.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty