Upgrade Thoughts

gdiego

May 5, 2011
Visit site
OK...I've had my Charge for about a month. Basically, (unlike many others) I am pleased with it thus far. That being said, it is disappointing that no upgrade has been introduced. Last I heard (from this Board), a new version was suppose to be launched on Monday past. I have received no word. How will I be notified of any upgrades?

I'm not about to root a new phone and chance voiding the warranty but this forum suggests we can expect to be ignored by Verizon and Samsung for future upgrades, and that is discouraging.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
OK...I've had my Charge for about a month. Basically, (unlike many others) I am pleased with it thus far. That being said, it is disappointing that no upgrade has been introduced. Last I heard (from this Board), a new version was suppose to be launched on Monday past. I have received no word. How will I be notified of any upgrades?

I'm not about to root a new phone and chance voiding the warranty but this forum suggests we can expect to be ignored by Verizon and Samsung for future upgrades, and that is discouraging.

You may be unlike many others but think you are in the majority who like the Charge. People rarely will go out of their way to post something positive, especially if it's what they are expecting. Unfortunately the vocal minority is what we see more often than those who are happy. Its not perfect but it is light years ahead of my old DroidX. Would like to see GB available but coming from my DX which had GB I will say there isn't really much they I miss.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I like my charge. I got it as a warranty replacement for my fascinate. But I will be replacing it with the nexus since I didn't have to use my upgrade.
That being said, I would probably be disappointed if I had to keep it for two years.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I also have not had any problems with my charge. Having said that, I have given up on any upgrades from verizon or samsung, so I have rooted, but I also have what I need to go back to stock if need be.

jco23

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
i'm in the same boat gdiego.... my only reason to root/upgrade is to get the HDMI out to work on Samsung Media Hub content.

the first indication we will get about an OTA update is here:
Software Update: DROID CHARGE BY SAMSUNG

I think it will happen, just not within the next few months - most likely after the 1-year anniversary of the launch of this phone.

kraisydave

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site

First, I am curious about what warranty you would be voiding? If you are paying for third party insurance then maybe. But that is silly and usually overpriced as you could just save the money and deductible which is about the cost of the phone after a short bit. Just use the same rooting process in reverse and you have a new phone right out of the box. There are many tutorials on this.

I really only bring this up because ROMing your phone allows you to get everything out the charge you paid for. Not ROMing is like buying a sports car and never going above 30mph with it. Or buying an LCD TV and never tuning the picture...that is another story, but did you know that LCD TVs are only about about 25 to 50% potential out of the box from the store?

Anyways, ROMing my phone has tripled my battery life, allowed me to run many root only apps, wireless tether the data I am already paying for, makes it way snappier, and in general it just looks better. There are several to pick from with many reasons to pick one or the other. I like GummyCharge 2.1 which is built over Gingerbread.

I would be glad to help you root and ROM your phone if you like. It appears I have even resolved my 3g drop that many complain about. This process allows you to change your software related to the antennas. I was in the group with that issue. Mine was fixed or at random after mods it stopped.

Regardless of issues this is the best phone on Verizon at least until the Nexus comes out. I came from the Nexus 4G on Sprint which is a better phone, I only say that because all the mods on this Charge bring it closer and closer to the Nexus 4g it strives to be. I am a happy customer, but I feel bad for all those that are missing out and haivg those issues. I wish they could see what their phone can really do!

Again, let me know if you need help. I have made many videos on rooting and ROMing the Charge to make things easier for everyone like me who needs a visual.

kraisydave's Channel - YouTube

Dave

Everyone deserves to get the most out of their phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87