Will Verizon replace this phone with another phone?

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
John's name is now part of my executive email bombs I previously used
  • ivan.g.seidenberg@one.verizon.com
  • lowell.c.mcadam@one.verizon.com
  • thomas.j.tauke@one.verizon.com
in an executive email carpet bomb and got someone from the executive level customer service to contact me for my Fascinate replacement to give me a Charge. Note a couple of things in how to perform the email carpet bomb before you write your own, and be firm about what you want. I stated that I wanted a retail box, not certified like new, replacement and received it.

Basically, when you carpet bomb these folks, one of them has the issue assigned like a normal tech support ticket that requires someone to RESOLVE your issue. In the course of my resolution, they asked me to cough up $100 and a 2 year renewal to my contract. I said no. Then $50 and a 2 year renewal. Then $0 and a 2 year renewal. Again, I said no. I was not going to accept this as anything less than a warranty replacement with a better device.... and I won. In about an hour, she was shipping me a new Retail box Charge, and though she had to make the modifications that kept my account as not needing a 2 year renewal,

So yes, you can get what you want as long as you are firm in your consumer advocacy beliefs.

All of that said, I'm on my second Charge in about 2 months, and the first heated up so hot that you could fry an egg on it; then replaced by another Retail box Charge where now the ear piece is going out. Have not decided how I'm handle this one, but I don't expect my results to be any less dramatic.

Note that nowhere in my documentation did it state that I had to install USB drivers on any Windows based PC or laptop before using the USB to charge my phone. Consider this MANDATORY!! Not all USB ports output the same voltage, and the drivers help to regulate this. This is why my first Charge overheated to the point of overheating.

Good luck to anyone that needs to beat on Verizon to do the right thing. If you need, I can even send you a copy of the bloviated email I sent to the executive team that got me these results. Just make sure that you PM me for it, as I can only rarely come back here and play in the sandbox. Mommy doesn't let me out much over the past year, and I sooo miss Sparky.

SuD

Thanks, I've actually already gotten in contact with them. I got sent one CLN Charge, as she said I needed to try at least once. Assuming this thing has the same problem, and I'm betting it will, I'll call her back. What I think I'd like at this point is for them to give me an upgrade on my account, I wouldn't mind paying the upgrade price for the Galaxy Nexus, whenever it comes out finally.

standupdad

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I've actually already gotten in contact with them. I got sent one CLN Charge, as she said I needed to try at least once. Assuming this thing has the same problem, and I'm betting it will, I'll call her back. What I think I'd like at this point is for them to give me an upgrade on my account, I wouldn't mind paying the upgrade price for the Galaxy Nexus, whenever it comes out finally.

That was one of the other things that were initially offered, which was an early upgrade. Now that means I'd just have to pay the subsidized price for the new phone, of whichever I wanted, but I wasn't keen on that. Now with my ear piece going out and knowing that there is a hardware bug that is causing data issues, I'll be off on a new crusade for a new phone replacement, but I want to see what GB brings to the phone first.

hkrn44

May 4, 2010
Visit site
THANK YOU FOR THAT EMAIL!!! After emailing them around 11am last week, I got a call from the executive office and spoke with someone from another state. He gave me options that I could hard reset the phone, get another certified like new droid charge, or get a certified like new droid bionic, or receive an apple iphone 4(NOT 4S), that someone has returned after only 1 day of use. I opted for the hard reset because I am so tired of getting new phones. After having 3 Thunderbolts, and now on my 2nd droid charge, it just gets annoying. The guy said he would call me back in a few days to see how the phone was working.

The phone was still doing the same things as before-freezing,and the number 1 annoyance was it would all of a sudden mute my end of the call when I was talking to people. All they would hear is a buzzing sound. Super annoying when you're on the phone with customer service or trying to order food. It was happening once a day and didn't get any better.

I'll have my 3rd Droid Chage on Mon. I still love this phone though and its definitely better than the thunderbolt!
To everyone having troubles, email John Bianchi, he's the VP of customer service at VZW.

Near the bottom of this link: Executive Leadership

Someone will call you back about your issue, and they'll be soemone with the power to make you happy. I was told that if I play along and get at least one replacement Charge, if it doesn't work they'll give me a Bionic. I'd rather have the RZR or even Rezound, because the screens are closer to that of the Charge, but I may take the Bionic.

cmgeek

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Just for reference, I received the bionic for free with no renewal of my contract. So far I love the bionic. It's wicked fast and the gps locks as fast as I asked for directions. Awesome phone.

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I spoke with a rep again and she offered me the the same old T-Bolt or Bionic. Wasn't happy with either of those. Instead I got her to allow me to upgrade early. Now I just have to wait for a deal on the Nexus.

Oh and one more thing, when I mentioned the Nexus to her she said it'd been delayed and they didn't know when it would be available. This was with me having the the phone up on their website looking at it.

ofdustandnations

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
They are offering Bionics as a replacement now for the Charge!

I'm receiving two Bionics today in the mail. It seems that Verizon is finally taking care of the issue these phones have by not offering a subpar replacement (T-bolt/Revolution).

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
So I called and talked to someone about the Nexus. Told her about how I could get it cheaper at Amazon. Because of all my issues she credited my account $75 (plus $30 for all the data dropping lately)

dawarlock

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Im going to try and get a different device today. Im currently on my 4th droid bionic. Same problem earpiece blow out i just received it on jan. 5th. Maybe they will give me a razor or galaxy nexus. I'm just fed up with the bionic already.

dawarlock

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
They shipped me out a droid razr when i requested a different device. So im swapping out my bionic for a razr. I tried to ask for a galaxy nexus as a replacement but the said its too new.

AZdesertman2012

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Regarding Heat Build up:
My first Samsung Droid Charge was operating 50 degrees Celsius or 122 degrees Fahrenheit. After 2 days asking Tech support what the operating tempreture of the 1800 Mah battery was; no one could tell me! By the way when you think you are dialing Verizion Tech Support, you are not, instead you enter a queue of customer service reps, with call centers in The Philippines, but Verizion will tell you all of THEIR call centers are in the USA, which is kind of true, they contract out customer service to non-Verizon companies - like AFNI in the USA and contractors outside the USA. Why am I telling you this? To save your time ask upfront: The questions to ask when you finally navigate the endless voice activated options and get to a human being are: Are you working at a Verizion owned call center? Where are you located? Are you also able to supply customer service? They have to tell you if they are contracted by Verizon or if they actually work for Verizon! If they are privately contracted...hang up and start over! If they say they are Verizon employees - continue...if they answer that they are not in the USA...hang up and start over! If you have reached a Verizion call center in the USA and they tell you they can supply customer service - they are not Tech reps! ask politely to be transferred to tech support, they will tell you they can solve your problem.... they cannot! If they want you to explain the problem to them, immediately ask for their supervisor. Most often them will transfer you if not the Supervisor will. Do not accept there are no supervisors available (they are) or you are told the Supervisor will call back... tell the rep - you will wait for the supervisor; you will wait talking to the rep and under no circumstances can they put you on hold. Beleive it or not this works, I have been talking to them since August 2011, but that is another story.The Tech rep will attempt to help, but as in my case no one could provide the sugested battery tempreture range, I asked for the Supervisor (they are very reasonable) I was told I needed level 2 Tech Support and was transfered. when level 2 could not provide an answer they transferred me to Samsung's Tech Support. They said they could not find the tempreture range. I was told that the "Rule Of Thumb" was if it is uncomfortable to hold it is too hot. That phrase was repeated by every Tech I talked to at Verizion and Samsung. Samsung warned me not to turn the on and the sent me overnight a box to overnight the phone to them, before the box arrived I was contacted by Verizon which told me the phone must be returned to them not Samsung, so they sent my second phone. In the meantime searching the web I found out that previous phones manufactured by Samsung were ordered recalled due to hazards. Further searching turned up 4 reports to the FCC of fires causing bodily harm all from Samsung Droid Charge users! When I called Samsung they denied knowing any of that problem but I was transferred to their Liability and Claims Department. Who questioned me about what medical attention I received and what property was destroyed? All that a minute after their tech staff claimed no knowledge of an overheating problem. They are Corporate lying MOTHER F**KERS!. The second phone was Dead On Arrival, but since my case had escalated to Corporate level, they sent me my third phone. There is a class action lawsuit being discussed on the 10 Verizion Complaint Boards I visited. ME? I am waiting for the third one to turn into ashes... then I Will get a new phone. BTW the charge was a replacement for my HTC Thunderbolt which after 2 I was granted a no cost, no plan Droid. So, if your phone gets hot get a battery APP that reads operating temperature and keep track. I want everyone to know - if you have a Samsung Droid Charge who are literally sitting on a powder keg!

hkrn44

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Has verizon started offering the Galaxy Nexus as a replacement yet?

I am currently on my 5th droid charge. I was offered the iphone 3 through one of the corporate offices but I didn't want it.

grimmace193

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
That's funny, i just had problems with my thunderbolt and had to fight to get them to replace it with a charge. Didn't like it at first but now that i have it running tweakstock and i have the extended battery, I'm lovin on this thing. Super amoled is the only way to go. a little sluggish but i can live with it until november (upgrade).

standupdad

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Regarding Heat Build up:
My first Samsung Droid Charge was operating 50 degrees Celsius or 122 degrees Fahrenheit. After 2 days asking Tech support what the operating tempreture of the 1800 Mah battery was; no one could tell me! By the way when you think you are dialing Verizion Tech Support, you are not, instead you enter a queue of customer service reps, with call centers in The Philippines, but Verizion will tell you all of THEIR call centers are in the USA, which is kind of true, they contract out customer service to non-Verizon companies - like AFNI in the USA and contractors outside the USA. Why am I telling you this? To save your time ask upfront: The questions to ask when you finally navigate the endless voice activated options and get to a human being are: Are you working at a Verizion owned call center? Where are you located? Are you also able to supply customer service? They have to tell you if they are contracted by Verizon or if they actually work for Verizon! If they are privately contracted...hang up and start over! If they say they are Verizon employees - continue...if they answer that they are not in the USA...hang up and start over! If you have reached a Verizion call center in the USA and they tell you they can supply customer service - they are not Tech reps! ask politely to be transferred to tech support, they will tell you they can solve your problem.... they cannot! If they want you to explain the problem to them, immediately ask for their supervisor. Most often them will transfer you if not the Supervisor will. Do not accept there are no supervisors available (they are) or you are told the Supervisor will call back... tell the rep - you will wait for the supervisor; you will wait talking to the rep and under no circumstances can they put you on hold. Beleive it or not this works, I have been talking to them since August 2011, but that is another story.The Tech rep will attempt to help, but as in my case no one could provide the sugested battery tempreture range, I asked for the Supervisor (they are very reasonable) I was told I needed level 2 Tech Support and was transfered. when level 2 could not provide an answer they transferred me to Samsung's Tech Support. They said they could not find the tempreture range. I was told that the "Rule Of Thumb" was if it is uncomfortable to hold it is too hot. That phrase was repeated by every Tech I talked to at Verizion and Samsung. Samsung warned me not to turn the on and the sent me overnight a box to overnight the phone to them, before the box arrived I was contacted by Verizon which told me the phone must be returned to them not Samsung, so they sent my second phone. In the meantime searching the web I found out that previous phones manufactured by Samsung were ordered recalled due to hazards. Further searching turned up 4 reports to the FCC of fires causing bodily harm all from Samsung Droid Charge users! When I called Samsung they denied knowing any of that problem but I was transferred to their Liability and Claims Department. Who questioned me about what medical attention I received and what property was destroyed? All that a minute after their tech staff claimed no knowledge of an overheating problem. They are Corporate lying MOTHER F**KERS!. The second phone was Dead On Arrival, but since my case had escalated to Corporate level, they sent me my third phone. There is a class action lawsuit being discussed on the 10 Verizion Complaint Boards I visited. ME? I am waiting for the third one to turn into ashes... then I Will get a new phone. BTW the charge was a replacement for my HTC Thunderbolt which after 2 I was granted a no cost, no plan Droid. So, if your phone gets hot get a battery APP that reads operating temperature and keep track. I want everyone to know - if you have a Samsung Droid Charge who are literally sitting on a powder keg!

Speaking with Samsung about the battery and normal operating temperatures for this device and component specification, the range of temps are -20C to +80C, which translates into -4F to +176F. The higher ranges do not indicate environments in which you should operate the device, but more to a maximum temperature range that the battery should operate under. My office is 72F, but my phone is 125F.

Speaking to Verizon about the issue, maximum normal temperatures should not go higher than "burst rate", which is around 130F or 54.5C.

When someone calls in to complain to Verizon about the phone, they'll typically tell you to remove the battery pack from the phone. They're suppose to act in a manner that if you complain about the phone getting way too hot to hold that they should near automatically work towards replacing the phone and/or battery both. Why? Because if they ask you to pull the battery pack, and a kid grabs the pack unknowing of its temperature, they can be burned, and that's where they express their greatest concern... not your child, or your health, but the expense of litigation... which is exponentially more expensive to disprove vs. just giving you a CLN phone. If you're calling and complaining about this, and they're not budging, you need executive action. They will remedy the issue, and should have a phone call to you within 24 hours.

If you're not getting the results you need, here are the email address to the people that I annoyed with one email that got me a Fascinate replaced with a Charge within 3 days of my email to them. 1 to get back to me, 2 days to get the phone sent FedEx.

Subject: Does the executive team consider this quality customer service?

To: ivan.g.seidenberg@one.verizon.com, lowell.c.mcadam@one.verizon.com, daniel.s.mead@one.verizon.com, thomas.j.tauke@one.verizon.com

Lowell C. McAdam & Executive Team
President and CEO
Verizon Wireless
1 Verizon Way
Basking Ridge NJ 07920-1025
Dear Mr. McAdam & Verizon Executive Team,
Re: Wireless number <Insert your mobile number>

Start your Executive Carpet Bomb
Be specific.
Get to the point
Always end with what you want or expect

102mm

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Just got off the phone with VZW, after 3 Droid Charges, they let me trade it in for a Samsung Nexus. it should be here tomorrow. the Charge is still cracking and popping even after the FP1 update. they didn't even hassle me, or go through the troubleshooting process. the tech gave me a choice of phones and asked me what i wanted.. It's actually a lil funny because when i talked to them 2 weeks ago, they said i could only swap for another charge.. hopefully the nexus will be trouble free, or at least no cracking and popping...

standupdad

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I hope that the Nexus works out for you. I just got off the phone with the T2 rep, and they offered me a Bionic, Rezound orSpectrum. She wasn't sure that she could offer me a Nexus, but then again, I didn't push it. I wasn't expecting to be offered a phone, so I can't be too torqued about what they are offering me.

My ongoing issue... audio squeching/blaring in my ear. It isn't just loud, its insulting. My ear was ringing for days, and seemed to come back every time i used the phone in that ear. Nonetheless, it's mostly gone, but not all of the way, so i called to inform them that its there... with no apps installed on my phone, and at factory default settings. I did this because I get tired of being told that there is probably an app or widget causing the problem, so I defaulted it, made some calls, and had them perform thier new remote access to the phone to prove that it was empty as my ex-wife's head. That's when they offered me one of those phones.

Time to do some research. They're calling me back to see which one I want. Do I want a Nexus if I can get one?

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Time to do some research. They're calling me back to see which one I want. Do I want a Nexus if I can get one?

Yes. Although you may have heard/read that phone has some radio issues, but doesn't seem to affect every device. Other than that, I would say the Nexus is the best phone Verizon has at the moment. And if you are willing/able to root and ROM, the radio issue goes away. I really like the Rezound and RAZR Max too, but I'm partial to Samsung Phones...call me crazy.

Last edited: