Gorilla Glass

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
yeah it is according to the original CES announcement in January. also seeing how pretty much every Samsung phone in the past year has had it it's not a huge surprise.

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
not needed vs unnecessary... I dont use them, but i dont want to say there worthless.. i hate the texture change they produce.. the screen feels "sticky" to me and the "protector" gets dingy after a while i dont htink there worth it but i know some people will disagree

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
not needed vs unnecessary... I dont use them, but i dont want to say there worthless.. i hate the texture change they produce.. the screen feels "sticky" to me and the "protector" gets dingy after a while i dont htink there worth it but i know some people will disagree

The thing I noticed is the protector greatly reduces the look of the display. Its hard to describe. When the display is tilted distortion appears. Whats the use of having a great display ruined by a protector. Its like putting $10 tires on a Porsche

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I would agree on a normal dry screen but i think it does affect texture IMO when moisture is on your finger or screen. Gorilla Glass is great for a reason ... utilize it that is why it is on there...

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Let me get this straight, a screen protector is not useful for this type of glass? I know nothing of this gorilla glass you speak of...

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I remember seeing that gorilla glass is basically melted down gorillas. It's like making katanas. You do the right amount of heat treatment and you get gorilla glass.

Reactions: Cruiserdude

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
ok gorilla glass is a company that makes a acrylic type "glass" it is super scratch resistant and doesn't break easily.... If you YouTube the stuff form CES they put it through some CRAZY tests. I do not believe it is "necessary" to use a screen protector at all.. in fact i hate them! but as with many accessories people will debate their usefulness. If you have never used a Gorilla glass device before i recommend not getting a protector right off. Use the device for a week or so then try one if you want. See what works best for you, but i will tell you form my experience with gorilla glass devices, (past 3 devices) I find a screen protector to be a pain to use.

Please let us know what your final decision is as multiple opinions are always better than 1 :)

ncbryan

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I purchased a Zagg full screen protector before even having the phone. Then I see where this phone is supposed to have GG. I love the way my finger slides across the glass screen. The Zagg Invisible Screen protector is a good one and if put on correctly there is no screen distortion, but there are times that it seems like your finger doesn't slide as smoothly across the screen. Might be returning the protector to Best Buy and goign without!

Bryan

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I handle over a dozen smart phones per day so I'll lay out what I consider a well balanced diet of info.

I've seen gorilla glass scratched LIKE CRAZY to the point the phone's touch screen starts malfunctioning. It had never been out of the ladies purse beyond use and phone calls. She wore one diamond ring, and had a set of very nice diamond earrings.

Gorilla glass is not invincible.

You can run car keys over it all day with no issue, but with diamond jewelery, hand tools (like screw drivers, chisels, pocket knives, etc. anything with hardened steel) rock chips, sand, other stuff like that, will scratch the hell out of it.

Weigh your usage and exposure to these items when considering a screen protector.

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
True any material harder than that of the "glass" can indeed scratch it. I just prefer to take car of my devices as much as possible and keep away from the alt. textures.. If you work on a construction site you may want to use a protector but from my home office I'll just play nice with my things :)

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I handle over a dozen smart phones per day so I'll lay out what I consider a well balanced diet of info.

I've seen gorilla glass scratched LIKE CRAZY to the point the phone's touch screen starts malfunctioning. It had never been out of the ladies purse beyond use and phone calls. She wore one diamond ring, and had a set of very nice diamond earrings.

Gorilla glass is not invincible.

You can run car keys over it all day with no issue, but with diamond jewelery, hand tools (like screw drivers, chisels, pocket knives, etc. anything with hardened steel) rock chips, sand, other stuff like that, will scratch the hell out of it.

Weigh your usage and exposure to these items when considering a screen protector.

Would a screen protector really do anything for you if you were rubbing diamonds and hand tools against your phone?

I'll try to keep my bling away from the phone...

Reactions: hockeymn25

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
True any material harder than that of the "glass" can indeed scratch it. I just prefer to take car of my devices as much as possible and keep away from the alt. textures.. If you work on a construction site you may want to use a protector but from my home office I'll just play nice with my things :)

For me, I keep mine in a pocket that does not contain sharp objects like car keys etc. One screen protector I do not recommend is the anti-glare protectors from VZW. They make the screen look awful.