Facebook syncing contacts.

tkm20

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to the whole android OS, got my first droid today actually. So go easy on me :p

Quick issue I'm having syncing my contacts with facebook. Verizon transferred my contacts from my previous phone to my Charge. Saying that, after installing the FB app, i used the sync option that said "sync with existing contacts". After the sync was finished I went to "Contacts" at the front of my phone and saw that the sync didn't bring anything from FB over. When I go to "Messaging" -> "New message" -> and then "Contacts", it shows every single one of my facebook friends (with pictures) along with all my "transferred contacts".

The way Verizon transfers contacts over to a new phone, do people usually have issues similar to this? Think I will need to remove all my contacts and add them one by one? Thanks for the help!

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
best solution and advice EVER is take all those contacts that Verizon transfered over and export them (think you can do this by pressing "Menu" in your contacts list and choosing "Export"), then go into GMail and import them. What Verizon did was make you have "Phone Contacts" and maybe that's fine but it's just way to convenient to have everything wrapped up in your Google account, you never have to worry about backing them up cause it's all in Gmail. It might take some time to merge and edit them but in the end it's very worth it. Also as for what shows in you contacts list again pressing "Menu" in your contacts list choose view and there are different options for what you see. and to go even further you may have to link Facebook contacts with the current contacts, especially if the names are slightly different between them.. hope this helps!

tkm20

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I logged into my gmail account on a computer and saw that all my contacts there. And now I have duplicate contacts, one with the "contact" green logo and another with the "g" for gmail. That's where I'm stuck. Do I delete everyone of them that does not have a "g"?

Last edited:

tkm20

May 17, 2011
Visit site
After I imported them back in, I removed the sync account for my facebook and re-synced. And now I have still have 2 of the same contact, but now the ones with the "g" has facebook pictures. How do I link an individual to facebook if their name is different in my contact list?

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
hold down the contact and it has a option to "join" it will then have a recommendation for the contract to join.. The "g" is the person being in your Google account and Facebook but not sharing the same info..people who use Facebook with a different e-mail than the one you have in your gmail book will cause this mostly.. same goes for twitter and picassa etc..

tkm20

May 17, 2011
Visit site
So in the end, looking at a contact's info, I will see them with 2 joined contacts; one being google and the other being facebook, correct?

Off topic, I see you're from the boro...same here.

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I attached a pic from a contact so you know what it looks like when joined....

BTW were spoiled here in the boro w/ our 4g coverage... with the call center and the financial services being here were covered in towers compared to the population .... know the 30 MBs down will go away but hey i love it while its here..

tkm20

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. On all my contacts that have the facebook pictures, none of them have the FB icon like your contact. I was going to show you with a screen shot, but can't figure out how to take one. This is getting frustrating, I may just remove all my contacts and put them all back in manually.

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
BTW to take a screen shot hold the back button for 3 seconds then press home.. it will show a message and make a camera noise.. the pic will be in gallery under a folder named "Screen Capture"

Reactions: tkm20

tkm20

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! Here is my screen shot. As you can see there is no fb icon under "Joined Contacts", but you can view the fb profile under "Other"...have you seen this before? Any recommendations? Thanks for all your help through this.