Post-EE4 Speed Test?

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Could anyone confirm this along with me?

I was running 16mbps down pre-EE4 on 4G, and 1mbps down pre-EE4 on 3G.

Now, I'm running 8mbps down 4G, and 0.5mbps down on 3G.

Seems as though my data rate was cut in half... anyone else seeing this? I'm not 100% convinced this is an EE4 issue... but its a good possibility, right now.

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Where are you testing? I didn't really read much of the pages on the testing when the phone first came out so I just did Speakeasy's test.

Atlanta - 24 down, 4.3 up
Seattle - 17.8 down, 3 up

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the Denver area. I've consistently gotten 16-17mb down at this particular location. Last night I was seeing mostly 7-8... some as low as 3. Today, I'm back up to 10-11. Perhaps this is a localized network issue?

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking where you were going to test your speed so it would be a fair comparison.

It might be a local network issue in Denver. But with DC, who knows? Wouldn't LTE device proliferation reduce the speed? And if that's the case, maybe everyone under the sun got one in DC. Lobbyists, politicians (gotta be fast with those junk shots), and lawyers alike.

SeeD65

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Data Speed

I think your drop in your data rate is a function of the 4G LTE network and not the latest software update. I am in Charlotte and have been testing my data rates every few days. Sometimes I get 24Mbps and other times I get 8Mbps. It fluctuates during the course of the day and has been even prior to the software update.

BryanG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the Denver area. I've consistently gotten 16-17mb down at this particular location. Last night I was seeing mostly 7-8... some as low as 3. Today, I'm back up to 10-11. Perhaps this is a localized network issue?
I was wondering about the speed issue, in Boulder, CO. I just got the phone yesterday and let it do the update before testing anything. I did manage to get around 9.7-10 download. Then around 9pm I tried again, and from then till now I only get around 3.7 down on 4 bars of 4G reception. That is lower than I thought even Verizon advertised as what you should get. Unfortunately I don't have any data from before last night to compare to, but Is it common to be that low on 4g or could there be a glitch in this update causing trouble? (though I'm unsure why I had the initial higher reading then if its update related of course).

Update: I was using SpeedTest.net's app but using the Speakeasy.net site someone mentioned I see I'm getting more like 13-14 download speed. I don't know if its a SpeedTest oddity that cause the drop or if I'd have gotten higher speeds yesterday with SpeakEasy.net as well and there has been a drop.

Last edited:

SeeD65

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Speed Test

Good Day!

I just used SpeedTest.net on the Charge and I have a download speed of 30Mbps and upload speed of 5.76 Mbps and I have the new software update.

Tomorrow I will have something different.

Halo

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't even getting 4g reception pre-EE4. After the update, I'm getting between 34mbps - 11mbps depending on location (download speeds) and 3-5mbps upload speeds.

mystiphi

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't even getting 4g reception pre-EE4. After the update, I'm getting between 34mbps - 11mbps depending on location (download speeds) and 3-5mbps upload speeds.
I'm using speedtest.net and getting results ranging from 4-10Mbps down but all 3 Mbps up in Tallahassee depending on which server I use. This was in a 3 minute timespan today. However, over the long run, I find that the closest server doesn't necessarily give you the fastest results. I've ranged from as low as 1.5 to as high as 22 down. 4 is the fastest up I've experienced but it's consistently in the 3 range.

atheron121

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I tested my speeds with SpeedTest.net app, and found that local (I'm in NYC area) slower by 6-8Mbps down, and about 1Mbps up, than prior to EE4 update. Tested both NY servers - same results of about 6.7 to 7.5 Mbps down and about 1.2 Mbps up. Switched to a server in CT, and the results were very similar to the ones I used to get prior to EE4 update, about 12.5-13 Mbps down, and about 2.3ish up. So, maybe test with non-local servers?

Halo

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm using speedtest.net and getting results ranging from 4-10Mbps down but all 3 Mbps up in Tallahassee depending on which server I use. This was in a 3 minute timespan today. However, over the long run, I find that the closest server doesn't necessarily give you the fastest results. I've ranged from as low as 1.5 to as high as 22 down. 4 is the fastest up I've experienced but it's consistently in the 3 range.

I'm using speedtest.net app as well. The test server is only 18 miles or so away from where I'm at. And again, depending on where I'm at around my area, my speeds have varied quite significantly. There is one area where I consistently see speeds of 30-35 down and 6-8 up. Other areas I'm in the 8-12 down and 3-5 up.

fortesquieu

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
33kdft0.png

I've also tested next to the tower last night, in between 35 Mbps to 40 Mbps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez