SMS Background change

Shady1475

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm also having this issue on one of my HTC DROID DNA phones. One of the phones will let me change to a gallery picture and the other one will not. It's quite irritating. Has anyone had any luck resolving this issue?

Last edited:

Mario Fasolo

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I just experimented with this in the Verizon store today, and the stock DNA let me choose from the gallery as well as HTC backgrounds. Wasn't expecting that, but hey! lol.

criminoles08

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I dropped an shattered my original DNA... The replacement DNA came today. While setting it back to mirror my original DNA, I noticed I was no longer able to set message background images from my gallery. After a few hours of screwing around with it (trying any and all suggestion i could find online), I hooked my replacement DNA up to my PC, copied all the folders from my original DNA and replaced the existing folders... Lo and behold... I was able to add backgrounds from my galleries once again.

Sorry that I am not able to pinpoint the exact folder, but I'm sure that those who are far more computer savvy than myself will be able to figure it out in no time. If noting else, it's a starting point. :)

SHANENATAS

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Ahh, no one has figured this out yet. On my girlfriends DNA she has the option to change SMS backgrounds from HTC or Gallery, on mine only HTC as a choice?

criminoles08

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Sorry that I am not able to pinpoint the exact folder, but I'm sure that those who are far more computer savvy than myself will be able to figure it out in no time. If noting else, it's a starting point. :)

I was looking through the directories in my replacement DNA to see which ones I didn't remember being there prior to copying the files from my old DNA; try hooking your DNA up to your PC and viewing it as a USB hard drive. In the list of folders -- pictures, downloads, DCIM, etc., make sure there is a folder labeled "Gallery" and drop a photo in it for good measure (in mine, there's actually a sub folder labeled "backgrounds" ...this sub folder is where my background photo is actually located). Not sure this is the fix you were looking for, but hopefully it will help.

SHANENATAS

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok so we have 2 Droid DNAs, my girlfriends has both options (HTC background and gallery) when we got my DNA no gallery option. So I rooted to get rid of some things, still no gallery. But then I added a custom ROM, did a back up of stock first. Didn't really like the ROM, took too much away. So I restored my back up. And guess what's there now, yup gallery in the sms background option! The only thing I can think of is the ROM putting something back, orrrr maybe when I did a data wipe and factory reset and wiped dalvik, not sure. For those who are not rooted I would try doing a hard reset from recovery mode. You will lose everything but probably gain the option to change your msg backgrounds back. It may seem like no big deal but it is. Hope this helps and works. If you don't know how to get in Recovery mode or hard reset, google it.

lazarus2297

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
this may not be of much help but I just unlocked rooted and installed a rooted (debloated by me) stock ROM and before all that I couldn't change my background in the messages settings no matter what I tried... now i can change it...and I must say this is a pretty cool way of personalizing my phone..

**edit**

so at first i was under the impression that you could change the backgrounds on individual conversations.. like have a different background for my wife's messages.. but alas you cannot.. I do like that i can download backgrounds and use them but i would also like to be able to set different backgrounds for different conversations.. oh well..

Last edited:

MrRicks84

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
So I reset my phone like 15 times and still it hasn't showed up... has anyone figured this out yet??

This may have something to do with the launcher. With Nova I have Gallery and HTC as an option. Switched to Sense and Gallery option was gone. May be just a little weird glitch in my phone tho

ericlc2

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Having this same issue, just downloaded astro, going to check my directories.

Edit- no luck lol
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Mitch Thomas

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I just got off the phone with HTC and they said that there will be an update that will resolve this issue. He said hes not sure when It will be availble tho :( said could be next week or next month. I dunno if I should trust him lol prolly wanted me off the phone asap.

Quiktrik

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Figured it out - for real. Make sure there is a folder at the root of the sdcard called ".data". My wife's One X+ wasn't showing the gallery option, but mine was. Noticed that on my phone I had the .data folder and that it contained some HTC-specific folders. One of them had the background that I was currently using for the SMS background. Created the .data folder on my wife's One X+ and the gallery option became available. Note: You'll have to install a filemanager like ES Explorer or hook the phone up to a PC via USB to create the folder. Enjoy!

heartagram616

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Awesome, worked like a charm thank you x1000
Figured it out - for real. Make sure there is a folder at the root of the sdcard called ".data". My wife's One X+ wasn't showing the gallery option, but mine was. Noticed that on my phone I had the .data folder and that it contained some HTC-specific folders. One of them had the background that I was currently using for the SMS background. Created the .data folder on my wife's One X+ and the gallery option became available. Note: You'll have to install a filemanager like ES Explorer or hook the phone up to a PC via USB to create the folder. Enjoy!

PorcelainDahl

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Ty ty ty ty I wasn't sure exactly where u meant to put it but tried anyhow. Aaaaaaaaa it worked! Thank you so Mich it was really bugging me. Hugs all around lol

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress