Many uses for a OTG cable!!

lilmoney30#WN

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm beyond blown away right now!! I ordered a OTG cable for the DNA on eBay and it arived today. I plugged it in and using astro was able to browse and play movies and music from a 64gb flash drive. I though let me try plugging in the reciever for a wireless mouse. Yea to my surprise that works too and so does a keyboard and our Nikon d80 !! Wow!!

Posted using my DNA ....... Ewwwww

rfmike

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
What one(cable) did you get from ebay?

Sent Via the Forms App on my DNA, Tab 10.1 or my OG Evolved(work phone).

rfmike

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
OK cool i order one. i did order a diffrent one a week ago but have not heard or seen anything about it.

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
After the initial confirmation from Amazon, I don't recall much communication until it showed up. But, for $0.82, its a deal.

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
yes it's funny, for a $buck you can eliminate most complaints about the loss of SD slot.. Actually you are probably more flexible this was as well.

njgsx96

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I purchased this cable a few weeks ago and it does not work. It asks me to plug in a compatible charger. When I connect a USB drive, it says the storage is blank and cannot be accessed. For under a dollar, it was worth a try.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I purchased this cable a few weeks ago and it does not work. It asks me to plug in a compatible charger. When I connect a USB drive, it says the storage is blank and cannot be accessed. For under a dollar, it was worth a try.

Hmm they seem to be hit and miss. Some people on here said the same thing, and yet myself and others have had no problem using the cable. Have you tried connecting the drive the the cable first, then connecting to your phone. Oddly enough that did help some.

njgsx96

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
After reading and replying to this thread I did some searching, reading and re-reading on OTG for the DNA. When I got home I checked all of my USB drives and my suspicion was correct.... they are all formatted in NTFS. I took one and formatted it in FAT32 and lo-and-behold my DNA recognizes it. So if anyone is having trouble, make sure you have your drive formatted in FAT/FAT32. Looks like NTFS requires root.

Charisma#WN

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
this works great. I already had the OTG cable. plugged it in an it was instantly recognized on a usb drive. I use AndroXplorer File Manager available on PLAY for free and it immediately reads the usb drive and everything else.
So that solves absolutely everything about the sd card. (cannot execute programs from the card that I know of but who cares with 11 gigs of native DNA ram)
everyone should understand this when evaluating phones
I knew about this from my experience with the Motorola Zoom which did not have an sd card usage for many months. This was suggested 2 years ago on XOOM forum. note comment above about disk format.

Last edited:

lazarus2297

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
can you plug a usb hub into the cable and have multiple things going? not necessarily two flash drives, but say a flash drive and something else...

1dtb

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I ordered a OTG Cable from Amazon as well. I got the 2x OTG for just over 4 dollars included shipping. It works!!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

rfmike

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Just got my confirmation email from Amazon this morning. I wont be getting my cable this the end of next month :'(

xnolanx

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
can you plug a usb hub into the cable and have multiple things going? not necessarily two flash drives, but say a flash drive and something else...
Yes, though you may want a powered hub since there is only so much power to be drawn off of the port. I have plugged in a keyboard + mouse + storage. Sadly I've been unable to find a cable with simultaneous MHL (HDMI) and OTG.

RicochetSEW

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Was about to order this for my DNA then I read some of the negative reviews... oh my! Phones being bricked??? Now I am completely out of my element I must admit but is this for real? Just don't want to screw up my phone as it is the first phone I have ever bought that cost more than a 30-50 dollar Nokia... I know I am a dinosaur. Any help would sincerely be appreciated. I would like to use my smartphone (definitely smarter than me) with my micro SD cards via a card reader.

DNA1

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I tried my OTG cable on my Little Dot DAC1 and it worked. But the music crackles alittle bit so I don't no if its the phone or the DAC. Has any body else tried there phone DAC? And when I unpluged the OTG CABLE from the phone it would lock up. When I hooked a USB key board and mouse and unhooked it it didn't lock up.

Sent from my HTC DNA using Android Central Forums

RicochetSEW

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else with Micro SD Card Reader via OTG cable experience... very worried about bricking my phone. Airdroid will be a definite option but there will be times I will need to access minor but vital data from a Micro SD Card.

BigMace23

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else with Micro SD Card Reader via OTG cable experience... very worried about bricking my phone. Airdroid will be a definite option but there will be times I will need to access minor but vital data from a Micro SD Card.

Can you put up a link to where you found this information? I just don't see how you could brick your phone from plugging in a cable...maybe corrupt data but brick???

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2