DNA vs Lumia 928

joansin

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
So my upgrade for one of my lines was up and I've been having quite the romance with Windows 8 and all it's Hyper-V glory lately.... not to mention that beast of an Xbox that was announced. I figured Microsoft is really making a dash to take over the scene. I remember my conversion from Black Berry to Android.... Standing there waiting on the guy to bring me my Storm 2 while the smooth transitioning screen of the O.G. Droid "shaked its thang" in front of me. There wasn't much offered by android other than its lack of lag and need to pull a battery every five minutes. The market was scarce and I was on the fence but I made the jump and never took it back to get my originally planned nightmare of a Storm 2. So today I stopped in just to look at the Windows Phone and went ahead and grabbed it up. I figured I have two weeks to try it out and if I hate it I can take it back and be out $30 for a restock fee. I verified with my friend at the store a block from my loft that this wouldn't screw me out of getting the next flagship phone when I returned it and she ensured me I would be able to upgrade again after returning the WP. So here I am with my SIM in this Lumia 928 and have been digging in while at work for the last 4 hours wishing I would have saved that $30 fee. I'm not going to take it back tomorrow, though. I will give it a week. Maybe the full 14 days before it has to be returned. I already miss my all access music library from Google and remoting into my server at home to play on my virtual lab. There are a few apps that are supposed to link me to my library but they are sh*t and I doubt Logmein is going to WP anytime soon. So let's see what happens over the next few weeks......

Frank Estevez

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
So my upgrade for one of my lines was up and I've been having quite the romance with Windows 8 and all it's Hyper-V glory lately.... not to mention that beast of an Xbox that was announced. I figured Microsoft is really making a dash to take over the scene. I remember my conversion from Black Berry to Android.... Standing there waiting on the guy to bring me my Storm 2 while the smooth transitioning screen of the O.G. Droid "shaked its thang" in front of me. There wasn't much offered by android other than its lack of lag and need to pull a battery every five minutes. The market was scarce and I was on the fence but I made the jump and never took it back to get my originally planned nightmare of a Storm 2. So today I stopped in just to look at the Windows Phone and went ahead and grabbed it up. I figured I have two weeks to try it out and if I hate it I can take it back and be out $30 for a restock fee. I verified with my friend at the store a block from my loft that this wouldn't screw me out of getting the next flagship phone when I returned it and she ensured me I would be able to upgrade again after returning the WP. So here I am with my SIM in this Lumia 928 and have been digging in while at work for the last 4 hours wishing I would have saved that $30 fee. I'm not going to take it back tomorrow, though. I will give it a week. Maybe the full 14 days before it has to be returned. I already miss my all access music library from Google and remoting into my server at home to play on my virtual lab. There are a few apps that are supposed to link me to my library but they are sh*t and I doubt Logmein is going to WP anytime soon. So let's see what happens over the next few weeks......

Wait for the HTC One instead. The DNA is a bit old by now, but it's still amazing.

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

"that beast of an Xbox that was announced."

You and I clearly come from two different worlds of perspective my friend.

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
8 Core, 8GB RAM, I heard 3GB Graphics..... In my world that is a lot for a gaming console....

The 8 core cpu is clocked at 1.6 GHz and the graphics card is estimated to be most similar to an AMD HD Radeon 7790. I'm a PC gamer, so I'm used to quite a bit more, but I'm not surprised, nor do I disagree with their decision to go with this hardware. It will run games exponentially better than the 360, and it will keep the launch price lower than the original 360. I just wouldn't say that its "a beast of an Xbox" or anything like that.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

I'm interested to see what your final thoughts are when/if you decide to return it. Please keep us updated. Thanks!

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site

My DNA that I ordered last week came in today, and I love it. Just curious, but what do you use to stream music from your server at home?

mud314

May 18, 2012
Visit site
I will stay on topic...I agree that the Windows Phone is a nice "fresh" OS....the honeymoon dies fast and then you find yourself kicking yourself in the arse. Yeah, speaking from experience. I used my dad's upgrade and got the DNA. I was going to wait for the One, but I really am not a fan of metal phones. Yes, they look very sexy, but in real world use they don't stay new for a long time. I decided that beyond the software enhancements and camera I could deal with the DNA, for me it's still one of the best phones I've owned.

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I will stay on topic...I agree that the Windows Phone is a nice "fresh" OS....the honeymoon dies fast and then you find yourself kicking yourself in the arse. Yeah, speaking from experience. I used my dad's upgrade and got the DNA. I was going to wait for the One, but I really am not a fan of metal phones. Yes, they look very sexy, but in real world use they don't stay new for a long time. I decided that beyond the software enhancements and camera I could deal with the DNA, for me it's still one of the best phones I've owned.

It does a pretty decent job of competing with the One IMO. The software personally doesn't affect me as long as I can root, because I enjoy CM ROMS :)

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I will stay on topic...I agree that the Windows Phone is a nice "fresh" OS....the honeymoon dies fast and then you find yourself kicking yourself in the arse.

Exactly. It's a great, smooth and fluid OS. But after resizing your tiles and changing their colors, there's not much else to do with the phone. The apps are coming along, and you can now get most big name apps. But there are two types of apps: great ones and horrible looking ones. There's no in between.

I'm rooting for Windows Phone though, and it does have some good features. It is grabbing market share little by little, and Microsoft is all in on the OS.

joansin

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Day two: I have a feeling I'm going to dread this idea to "try" this Windows platform. Windows has been doing the smartphone thing for some time and I can't believe they still don't get it. I have all my music on Google Play and it's just so nice with the integrated library from the All Access service Play offers. I signed up for a 30 day trial for Xbox Music + Video and it's not what I was expecting. I miss Google voice, play, youtube, music, and gmail (which just updated and my lovely Elizabeth was rubbing it in my face last night with her DNA. ***.). I assume I need to just dive in and make the transition which is why I signed up and building up my library is such a hassle on the phones UI. I'll look and see if I can put my library together on my laptop and upload my music collection if it does that. We'll have to wait and see. As far as utilizing the phone for day-to-day activities I'm just curious if anyone can get used to not being able to switch between apps or having home screen widgets. Maybe there is a way to easily change from bright to dim with adding a custom tile, I'm working on it.... but in the car last night on the way home from work I was blinded by the screen and it was quite the route to navigate to the desired settings. I'm frustrated. But at the same time I do like the interface. It's sexii and like someone above said, it's fresh. But it is crippled in so many aspects when compared to my DNA (which I love and hope it's not mad at me). As far as an upgrade to a phone I really want.... The One seems like a nice phone but I'm curious to see what this Moto X and its specs will be like. If its release is not too far out maybe I'll hit that up. But I'm not going to go from the DNA to the One because more screen real-estate on the DNA and I think it's competitive in specs. I'll update tomorrow as well... Time to get started at work.

mud314

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Man we go through the same stuff. I get the same way...I really like some aspects of WP8, but it just doesn't compare to the flexibility that Android offers. For that matter even iOS. Do you remember Windows 6.5? Man that was a great OS, allowed you to tweak it any way the Devs could imagine. Then they switched to this new format and they updated their look but took away function. :/. Keep enjoying it for the meantime. BTW, I think there may be an app for google music.

mud314

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Here ya go:
Gooroovster | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Gooroovster, this will allow you to connect to your online google music collection. I don't think it will allow you to download though, you can only stream. Another cool app: Hey Dj, this app will allow you to press your windows phone button and then Hey DJ, Play Mastodon. It has to scan whatever is on the phone/SD card, so I don't think it would work with Goorovster.

joansin

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I just spent some time on WP Central and was looking for some good info on those using the 928 and after an hour I wigged a bit......

"I'm going to try and not be harsh here and rip into WP8 and the Lumia 928 like a step child that just **** on my Xbox. This platform is making me sick to my stomach. I have an HTC DNA that is turned off and hopefully doesn't find out about my short affair with this phone. I planned on keeping it for the full two weeks before I lose out on getting my money back minus the restock fee. Windows 8 was god awful in my eyes until I tried it for two weeks and now I swear by it.... but I can't see the same thing happening with this phone. I went to find an app like Tapatalk or something to that affect in order to check out what you all think here and what you do to get by while waiting on development. But this is just flat out ridiculous. I see nothing for forums that is worth any money and the WPcentral app costs a buck. Thankfully there is a 5 day trial or I wouldn't of seen the awesome new forum post in regards to a YouTube app. I thought I caught a break until I downloaded the app and it's a horrible rendition of the web browser site and people on here are excited. Are you serious? Have any of you had a flagship phone by Google before?!? You have garbage here MS. I'm disappointed. This is day two of my fourteen try before I buy and I'm ready to take it back now despite all the free trials and subscriptions. This is so 2005 technology. The interface is sexii, I give you that.... but the functionality is gawd awful. I can't switch between apps. Have any of you that love it and does everything you could dream of ever done more than tweet or post a status update on facebook. Ugh. **Throws hands up in the air and walks out all huffy and sh** "

sugarOXO

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
BAhaha.......Tollllddddd ya so..........!!! Its just NOT ready. And To be honest, I really think unless they *REALLY* Amp it up...that Id Never want a windows phone. Windows tablet, with Full on Win8.....now thats a different story.....

sugarOXO

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Wait for the HTC One instead. The DNA is a bit old by now, but it's still amazing.

Amazing....Just doesnt quite cover it.....Love My DNA so much.......Definitely holding out for the HTC one. I wanted the One X When it was time for my upgrade but of course it wasn't available here....... :'(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress