End of Sept and this Update is amazing...

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
If anyone wants a good app that puts power toggles in your notification menu, I use Notification Deluxe, and it works great.

Edit: Stkorn, I just saw that you posted that you also use an app. Great minds and all that!

Attachments

• 1380663840234.jpg
    1380663840234.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 81

masc69

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Wrong. You go on the Samsung device forums, you have people complaining about the whereabouts of their update. Try the LG forums as well. And the Sony forums. You get the point. I have never had a non-Nexus device where nobody ever complained about either VZW or the device manufacturer failing to update the phone in a timely manner. You pay for the phone you get. You are not entitled to more or to less, unless that phone isn't working as advertised.

Want timely updates? Get a non-CDMA Nexus, or get an iPhone. I hardly call that standard.

Well the Nexus phone gets updates, so the phone you buy is not the phone you have at the end of its cycle. There are update exceptions because of phone hardware, but my point was that updates are NOT rare and are not bonuses.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

masc69

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Can you show me where you were guaranteed updates to the phone? Unless there was a promise to deliver additional features/fixes in the future, you paid for what you received. If there isn't a guarantee of updates, then any update is a bonus in my opinion. While many manufacturers release updates to their products, I fail to see where this concept of being owed an update comes from. <sarcasm>Do you buy cars and expect the manufacturer to replace the engine in your vehicle a year later because they have a better engine available? </sarcasm>

I never said that my phone deserved an update. HTC said the phone was going to be updated, so now I want my update. If you sell a product and could make it better by updating it, why wouldn't you? Updating also helps to sell the product for a longer period of time, without the product becoming obsolete. See: Apple.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Well the Nexus phone gets updates, so the phone you buy is not the phone you have at the end of its cycle. There are update exceptions because of phone hardware, but my point was that updates are NOT rare and are not bonuses.

Even then, I remember having the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, and updates were hard to come by with that thing. It seems to me like the only phone on VZW capable of receiving timely updates is the iPhone. My ultimate dream is for Google to make a Nexus device that works across all carriers (VZW as well) with one device, rather than having to sell different versions of the same phone.

Posted via Android Central App

RyanMXA

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I just don't understand why people buy phones with an expectation of future updates. If you aren't happy with the features/peformance of the device when you buy it, just return it or don't buy it in the first place. Any updates you receive from the vendor/carrier should be considered bonuses, but not something you should expect. This phone is now easily rootable, so there is that option as well for those that have to have the latest version of Android OS.
I was happy with this phone the day I purchased it, and continue to be very happy with it. I have rooted it and tested other ROMs with some nice features, but I'm now running a rooted stock ROM and am pleased with it.

This.
The DNA works great as is. Some updates will be nice but definitely not enough to say throw the phone in a fire.

Just think of all the iPhone 5 users that wish they never got an iOS 7 update.

Sent from The One

antilles76

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The paid version of Battery Widget Reborn! also has good power toggles. I use them all the time. You just have to expand the notification.

If anyone wants a good app that puts power toggles in your notification menu, I use Notification Deluxe, and it works great.

Edit: Stkorn, I just saw that you posted that you also use an app. Great minds and all that!

mtrautma

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for bringing this app to my attention. I don't know how I ever lived without it. I could care less about 4.2.2 or 4.3 update now. Well...maybe a little less. :p

Mike

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
The paid version of Battery Widget Reborn! also has good power toggles. I use them all the time. You just have to expand the notification.

I used to use them, but they were kind of unreliable, which is why I went to Notifications Deluxe. I'm guessing they've improved them? I'll give them another try. Thanks.

antilles76

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I used to use them, but they were kind of unreliable, which is why I went to Notifications Deluxe. I'm guessing they've improved them? I'll give them another try. Thanks.

I've been using them for months and have not had a problem. They seem to update the app on a fairly regular basis. And I like how they are part of the notification. You can hide them by shrinking it.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Even then, I remember having the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, and updates were hard to come by with that thing. It seems to me like the only phone on VZW capable of receiving timely updates is the iPhone. My ultimate dream is for Google to make a Nexus device that works across all carriers (VZW as well) with one device, rather than having to sell different versions of the same phone.

They are moving towards that concept with the Moto X.
Although some of the carrier versions (Verizon) still have too much bloatware, it's getting better.
The X was the first Android device that I got from the carrier that had virtually no bloatware (1 AT&T app), basically ran stock android, and has several amazing and useful features.
I am excited for what moto and Google bring in the future as their first device together is brilliant.

Sent from my White Moto X

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Just an observation, but it seems like the most common feature that folks want from an update is the quick notifications that all the OEMs screw up anyways. Even the new Motorola DROIDs and Moto X don't keep it AOSP.

I won't argue that putting a ROM on a phone for updates is for everyone, but it does provide opportunity for user experiences you won't get from a carrier update.

jsting76

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I checked the Verizon site to see if the software upgrade was announced. Nothing yet. I am looking forward to trying out Sense 5. I did notice that the DNA is now back to $199 on the Verizon website with a 2 year contract. I am surprised. I thought it was $49 in the past.

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I checked the Verizon site to see if the software upgrade was announced. Nothing yet. I am looking forward to trying out Sense 5. I did notice that the DNA is now back to $199 on the Verizon website with a 2 year contract. I am surprised. I thought it was $49 in the past.

Yeah it was but the htc one was just coming out and they put the dna and other htc products on sale.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

kpluck

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Can you show me where you were guaranteed updates to the phone?

The President of HTC Global Sales, Jason Mackenzie, said the DNA would received Sense 5 and Android 4.3 by the end of September. To me, when a high ranking official at a company says something is going to happen with one of their products without any qualifications, I take that as a "guarantee". Now it is 4.2.2 and the end of year.

Don't get me wrong, the delay and 4.3 becoming 4.2.2 isn't a big deal. However, it was handled extremely poorly. Mackenzie called the change a "clarification". LOL? What was he clarifying exactly? He gave specific information, there was nothing to clarify. He was wrong plain and simple. He should have said that and apologized.

The bigger problem is that HTC simply doesn't have the resources to get these updates to the carriers in a timely fashion. However, they won't admit that because if they did, people would stop buying their products. Of course, that seems to be happening anyway so I guess it doesn't really matter.

masc69

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
The President of HTC Global Sales, Jason Mackenzie, said the DNA would received Sense 5 and Android 4.3 by the end of September. To me, when a high ranking official at a company says something is going to happen with one of their products without any qualifications, I take that as a "guarantee". Now it is 4.2.2 and the end of year.

Don't get me wrong, the delay and 4.3 becoming 4.2.2 isn't a big deal. However, it was handled extremely poorly. Mackenzie called the change a "clarification". LOL? What was he clarifying exactly? He gave specific information, there was nothing to clarify. He was wrong plain and simple. He should have said that and apologized.

The bigger problem is that HTC simply doesn't have the resources to get these updates to the carriers in a timely fashion. However, they won't admit that because if they did, people would stop buying their products. Of course, that seems to be happening anyway so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Finally, someone who knows what he is talking about. This is the only reason I am upset at HTC. They officially announced the update (I never asked for an update, but I was excited to hear about it) and then they went back on their word. I don't expect an update on an entry level phone, but a high end phone should get at least one update. That has been the general standard.

Last edited:

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
This update does nothing for me. Someone come find me when they release Android 9.8 snickerdoodle with lockscreen widgets, holographic projection, and beer tap.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't even care anymore. I had interest when I first read Sense 5 reviews but I'm more interested in the Nexus 5 now. But the screen better be at least as good as the G2, which the rumours support.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I really think anyone who hasn't rooted their DNA at this point is really just delaying the inevitable. Yes, it's unfortunate that one might have to do it to get timely updates considering the carriers and manufacturer should continue supporting a device that's less than one year old; but if you're the type of person who buys a carrier branded non-nexus phone and expects nexus-like updates, rooting is mandatory. I've been running 4.2.2 on my DNA for months now with no issues, and I'm pretty certain it will soon be 4.3, before the other carrier ONEs get it, even. When the choice comes down to either purchase a new phone, which in a year could possibly be in the same predicament as your current (nexus non withstanding), or modding your current device to allow for timely updates, I would rather do the later. Certainly, since the DNA is such a beautiful piece of hardware that still runs spectacularly. Software not considered, it is in no way outdated, and the software can be easily changed. This is of course, personal opinion.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm in the minority but I don't give a squat about how many more updates my DNA gets. I have a phone that works a phone that still does all the things I bought it for to begin with and I like it. Update don't update it's something I just don't waste my time fretting over.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non